Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golden Boy Prez: I'm Surprised Mikey Garcia Passed on Linares

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Golden Boy Prez: I'm Surprised Mikey Garcia Passed on Linares

For those who were hoping for a lightweight unification bout between WBC champion Mikey Garcia and WBA belt-holder Jorge Linares - there is bad news. For the time being, that fight is dead. Last week Garcia - who had called out Linares on Twitter a couple of weeks ago - met with Golden Boy Promotions on Wednesday to discuss the possibility.
    [Click Here To Read More]

50/50 split??? Nah

Comment

Golden Boy should just move on from Garcia vs Linares. The writing is on the wall. They need to get creative.

How about trying to get Loma next if he gets past Rigo or try getting Berchelt to move up in weight?

At 135 I'm not sure there's many enticing fights and Golden Boy doesn't have anyone at 135 that a network would pay to see.

Maybe Gamboa if he gets past Sosa but Gesta needs to beat a Top 15 Lightweight and the rest are prospects.

HBO seems to behind Linares for his future fights at least.

Comment

What a shame could’ve been a great fight! 50/50 was bs split though.

Comment

Originally posted by LOCOMEX89 View Post
          Golden Boy should just move on from Garcia vs Linares. The writing is on the wall. They need to get creative.

How about trying to get Loma next if he gets past Rigo or try getting Berchelt to move up in weight?

At 135 I'm not sure there's many enticing fights and Golden Boy doesn't have anyone at 135 that a network would pay to see.

Maybe Gamboa if he gets past Sosa but Gesta needs to beat a Top 15 Lightweight and the rest are prospects.

HBO seems to behind Linares for his future fights at least.
          I think the issue was the $$$. I'm assuming HBO offered two purses for $1 million. Mikey probably is getting $1.5 million from Showtime. They gotta step it up at GBP. But I think the fight will happen eventually. Linares wants that fight.

Comment

Garcia had yall fooled that he actually wanted to fight Linares.

He had the other offer on the table all along and was just playing the press throwing names out there. It's all he's been doing since he came back. Cotto? Crawford? The guy is just attaching other names to his name. That's all he is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
              I think the issue was the $$$. I'm assuming HBO offered two purses for $1 million. Mikey probably is getting $1.5 million from Showtime. They gotta step it up at GBP. But I think the fight will happen eventually. Linares wants that fight.
              I get your point about the $$$. But my counter would be what was Showtimes counter? Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't Linares been featured more on Showtime then say Easter.

So either Showtime wasn't interested in Linares vs Garcia (which I highly doubt) or Haymon/Showtime simply doesn't want to do business with Golden Boy which is my guess and that's a hurdle I am not sure they can get past.

But honestly I don't see this fight happening and it's a damn shame because in my opinion based on pure boxing skills these are 2 of the Top 10 in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by LOCOMEX89 View Post
                I get your point about the $$$. But my counter would be what was Showtimes counter? Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't Linares been featured more on Showtime then say Easter.

So either Showtime wasn't interested in Linares vs Garcia (which I highly doubt) or Haymon/Showtime simply doesn't want to do business with Golden Boy which is my guess and that's a hurdle I am not sure they can get past.

But honestly I don't see this fight happening and it's a damn shame because in my opinion based on pure boxing skills these are 2 of the Top 10 in the world.
                Golden Boy has a contract with HBO right? Their roster is slim, they can't have one of their top 5 assets fighting on another network. I don't recall Linares on Showtime but maybe I'm wrong.

But Mikey was willing to fight on HBO. It seems like HBO offered a purse that was too low. (According to Gomez) Next to Wilder, Mikey has put up showtime's highest ratings this year. They'll bid for him everytime. So maybe youre right.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                  Garcia had yall fooled that he actually wanted to fight Linares.

He had the other offer on the table all along and was just playing the press throwing names out there. It's all he's been doing since he came back. Cotto? Crawford? The guy is just attaching other names to his name. That's all he is doing.
                  Mikey Garcia vs Javier Fortuna next?

Comment

Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
                    Golden Boy has a contract with HBO right? Their roster is slim, they can't have one of their top 5 assets fighting on another network. I don't recall Linares on Showtime but maybe I'm wrong.
                    Linares fought on Showtime before he ever fought on HBO. Showtime bought that fight against Crolla because they were trying to make the Garcia fight next. They showed tht fight in the afternoon and had Mikey in the studio. But Linares stalled and Garcia opted for Broner and Linares came back and fought Campbell. I remember reading an interview with Linares saying after the Crolla II fight he went on vacation and wasn't entertaining fight offers.

Comment

Working...
                    X