Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people say Hopkins was a really a LHW masquerading as a MW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people say Hopkins was a really a LHW masquerading as a MW?

Wasn't 160 his natural fighting weight? That's what he was always showing up on the scales as so why so much criticizing about him?
    Last edited by HitmanTommy; 10-21-2019, 01:05 PM.

He entered boxing as a light heavyweight.

I was definitely a critic.

Comment

Size em up cuz he is far from a natural MW.

Comment

Originally posted by HitmanTommy View Post
        Wasn't 160 his natural fighting weight? That's what he was always showing up on the scales as so why so much criticizing about him?
        Because lots of boxing fans are stupid and don't know what the hell they are talking about. Maybe they just don't like Hopkins and are trying to discredit him. How the hell could a natural 175 pound boxer fight at 160 for ten years and drop to 156 to fight Oscar without draining the fuc out of himself???? It would not put him at an advantage but at a huge disadvantage. Weight drained boxers lack stamina and strength and can't take a punch as well. If a boxer weighs in at 160 or less he is a middleweight and that's the God damn rules.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post

But that was his very first fight and he realized that wasn't his real weight and adjusted accordingly.

He's been at MW for most of his career and has had no problems making 160.
          Last edited by HitmanTommy; 10-21-2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Bhop was significantly thinner at 160 vs his physique at LHW. Just like early Ward vs post Ward. Ward got a pit bull neck when he fought Kovalev. Classic neck workouts

Comment

Because they are stupid and uneducated

Comment

Originally posted by HitmanTommy View Post
                But that was his very first fight and he realized that wasn't his real weight and adjusted accordingly.

He's been at MW for most of his career and has had no problems making 160.

I believed after he lost the first fight at 175 he scaled down to give himself size and strength advantages over an already weak middleweight division.

Hopkins himself admitted to starving himself to stay at middleweight.

He got my respect after he beat Pascal at 175.

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
                  Size em up cuz he is far from a natural MW.
                  yes, but he wasn't dehydrating himself for 15 years hahaha. Even fought De la Hoya at a catchwight that he made comfortably and offered for years to go down to 154 to get big fight. When you eat properly and stay in the gym, not putting on 40 lbs in between fights(something a lot of these guys today know nothing about) you can do things like that.

Comment

I believed after he lost the first fight at 175 he scaled down to give himself size and strength advantages over an already weak middleweight division.

Hopkins himself admitted to starving himself to stay at middleweight.

He got my respect after he beat Pascal at 175.
                    maybe in the 2000s, but he definitely didn't go over a decade starving himself. That's not even possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X