Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight ever be topped in terms of magnitude?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight ever be topped in terms of magnitude?

Forget about how boring, or whatever that fight turned out into. Based on the magnitude of the spectacle alone, do you think there will ever be fight that could dethrone that MEGA fight between Floyd and Manny?

I know you remember that feeling when the fight was about to start, with the introductions of the boxers, and the sound of the opening bell. That kind of spectacle was something!
    Last edited by CodeBreaker; 07-19-2018, 04:21 AM.

on merit alone, prob not. it will have to be a huge spectacle.

Comment

Probably. It always does.

Comment

ali vs frazier 1 was bigger!

Comment

If it does, it won't be anytime soon. I suppose Floyd v McGregor was close, even if the fight was a joke, but like Manny v Floyd, it was between two people that were genuine worldwide stars and known in mainstream culture.

There isn't 1 fighter today that famous, never mind 2 in the ring at the same time. Hypothetically speaking, even if AJ could fight Canelo now, it still wouldn't be anywhere close. Neither guy is that well known worldwide, just in their countries/where they fight.

The fact is, boxing doesn't produce that many true superstars that are known across the globe by people that barely watch boxing. In Manny and Floyd, you had 2 that just happened to be there at the same time. It's going to be a long time before that happens again. The time before that was probably Lewis v Tyson. For example, no matter how big fights like Floyd v De La Hoya were , it wasn't an event that captured the imagination of people across the world.

It's quite telling that the next biggest fight after Manny v Floyd was a retired boxer and a guy that has never boxed...

Comment

Never.

and if it does it wont be in our lifetimes.

Comment

Originally posted by CodeBreaker View Post
              Forget about how boring, or whatever that fight turned out into. Based on the magnitude of the spectacle alone, do you think there will ever be fight that could dethrone that MEGA fight between Floyd and Manny?

I know you remember that feeling when the fight was about to start, with the introductions of the boxers, and the sound of the opening bell. That kind of spectacle was something!
              Nope. The fight had the perfect characters and perfect story.
              Social media couldn’t any more better than today so I don’t know what else could they do in promotion.

Comment

spence vs crawford if we wait long enough.... (sarcasm)

Comment

To this day, i haven't heard a better intro than Jimmy Lennon Jr. When he announced mayweather. Gave me chills.

Comment

If an American HWT comes along and has a string of highlight reel KO's like Tyson and the AJ/Wilder winner is still the undefeated, undisputed HWT champ of the world, then I think that fight might get eclipsed.

Imagine AJ/Tyson (post spinks) from Wembley? I think promoted right it could exceed Floyd/manny.

Comment

Working...
                    X