No announcement yet.

Working Lats for Hook Power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working Lats for Hook Power?

If I work my lats using machines (like a rowing machine), doing various different sets and weights and probably a lot of repetitions, do any of you guys have any idea if this would help me throw a harder hook punch? I've done some research and the consensus seems to be that weight lifting doesn't necessarily translate to better striking power, or at least doesn't do a lot.

I have a background in Tae Kwon Do (yeah I know, I know) but I also did kickboxing. I still shadowbox a little and throw combinations at the wall so I stay somewhat proficient with my fists. Anyway, I'm probably not a great fighter but I do have good hand speed (I rate it silver+) and I have good technique that maximizes my power. So overall I have some experience and I'm not terrible. I want to know if stronger lats would help me punch harder.

No offense with anything I’m about to say.

Now that that’s out of the way.

How do you know your technique is good if you’re not hitting anything?

Outside of straight punches, how could you possibly work on your hooks and angles?

Shadow boxing can be a good tool, don’t get me wrong but if that’s all you do it’s probably causing bigger problems with bad habbits and you just don’t know because you don’t have anyone hitting you back.

Now, as for workouts, tons of “controversy” you could say as to what gives you more power.

Weights and getting stronger of course give you more power as a baseline just due to being a stronger human but it’s negligible in terms of people your own size.

Like, a guy who works out is inherently more fit than a guy who doesnt..on average kind of thing. Punching power is a little different though. Pure, raw punching power is god given and honed. That’s kind of a given.

When it comes to maximizing what you have though there’s a lot you can and should do and it’s not just one thing. You’re from a tkd background so your legs should be pretty strong which is hugely important. Hooks arent just brute arm/back strength. Feet/legs/butt/hips are where you generate most of it. There seems to be a correlation with big punchers and hand/forearm strength as well so I’d work in that...a lot.

You should have decently flexible hips from your background so the way you ground yourself throwing like..a spinning back kick (I might be getting all my s hit wrong here) its my understanding that a lot of that power comes from the leverage and explosion from your feet, hips, butt. Hooks are similar in that you’re cranking/pulling (hard to explain) from the bottom and releasing through your fist.

So your feet/toes, calves, quads/glutes have a lot of the initial “pull” and strain so work on that. More lunges, squats, jumps, etc.

Do a lot of plyometrics. Not sure if you have a medicine ball you can slam but thats an awesome workout. Slamming them straight down or also from the side, incorporating your hips and core much in the same manner youd crank a hook. Or... Get a bat and hit s hit. Not even kidding. Fold up a bunch of blankets, some pillows, etc..get creative and just go ham in leiu of a medicine ball or to compliment.

For hands/forearms, just simple wrist curls and hand exercises (like grip type workouts) are easy to do at home. Hold your hands out and open and close em as fast as you can. Try to up the duration/intensity the stronger you get. Strain wet shirts or get a round stick or dumbell bar (whatever), rope, and weight (or whatever you want to use) and using just a twisting motion, wind the rope/shirt/cloth or whatever by twisting the bar to bring the weight up. Do that at a steady but forceful pace.

I’m personally not against the lifting of weights so long as they’re complimentary to what your body will actually be doing.

Rows are awesome. Pull ups, deadlifts, squats, dips, etc. don’t skip out but just know that your routine and frequency will look different than someone bodybuilding/lifting for aesthetics.

Go crazy on calisthenics if you want but go less frequently on the heavy lifting.

Get a heavybag if you dont have one or go somewhere that has one and crank those hooks out, hard and with perfect technique. Slow it down if you have to.

At the end of the day, whatever it is youre trying to improve...do more of them and strengthen what gets sore. Someone once said that to me and honestly..thats fairly simple but not entirely false.

Hit something with a little give, with gloves and wraps on and so long as you’re doing it right, you’ll improve your hooks.

Even if youre not fighting, there’s no reason not to try to do it right.

Hope you like the novel but just trying to help.

Comment

NearHypnos

Yeah, I studied kickboxing informally with some other martial arts enthusiasts during my first year of college. I have some weight to lose, but then I'm going to join a BJJ/MMA school that's nearby, so maybe I'll see then if there's anyone who can critique my form. I plan to do moderate intensity workouts just to stay fit for life and for my martial arts hobby. I'm more about having that knowledge and skill than actually caring to use it inside or outside the ring (besides sparring with club members). It sounds weird, but I have an itch to complete my knowledge when it comes to martial arts, including HEMA at some point. I guess I'm a nerd lol.

Honestly I just want to be prepared for after I die and I go to Valhalla!

Thanks again for your input! I guess I should have said that first. I think you answered my question pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by dwarvendefender View Post
        If I work my lats using machines (like a rowing machine), doing various different sets and weights and probably a lot of repetitions, do any of you guys have any idea if this would help me throw a harder hook punch? I've done some research and the consensus seems to be that weight lifting doesn't necessarily translate to better striking power, or at least doesn't do a lot...

I want to know if stronger lats would help me punch harder.
        I doubt having stronger lats per se would significantly increase your punching power in most circumstances, but I would strongly encourage you to train your lats within the context of a strength training program which targets all major muscle groups--which will certainly enable you to punch harder and be less-prone to injury.

The lats are responsible for pulling your upper arm "back" and "down". They also contribute to shoulder stability and health.

In boxing, lats are obviously important for quickly retracting the arm after throwing a punch and for the grappling involved in clinching and infighting.

Additionally, by training the lats using chinups, pullups, pulldowns and rowing movements you strengthen the biceps, brachialis and the muscles of the forearm and hand--the muscles of the forearm and hand are involved in all punches; the biceps and brachialis contribute to the power of hooks and uppercuts.

Needless to say, with progressive resistance training, the goal is to progress--i.e., to get stronger.

To achieve this goal, the quality of what you do is far more important than the quantity of what you do.

If Trainee Bob does "only" 1 set of pulldowns to failure and one set of machine rows to failure every 5 days, but consistently adds weight or reps or both--without sacrificing form--he is far more successful Trainee Tim, who trains his back 3 days per week, with 20 sets per workout, and never adds weight or reps.

A basic piece of advice: if you train with weights and wish to progress, keep a training journal and write down everything you do. That way, you can notice what works, what doesn't, and adjust accordingly.

Comment

Bodybuilding movements don't contribute much to boxing power. If you want to improve your hooking power, work on your rotation. The movement of your weight shifting as you turn your feet, legs, hips, and (especially) shoulders into the hooks. Muscle is for pushing. Your not pushing punches. Not good ones anyway.

When my hooks became particularly powerful, it was because I finally got the shoulder rotation down. After dipping forward (maybe from throwing a straight right) envision yourself pulling your right shoulder back to position and your left shoulder is attached to a battering ram (your forearm) that you are swinging to the target. Couple this with the hips and legs (so much of the power is generated by the left leg).

When you "get it" you'll notice the power is suddenly amplified and your balance is better. Tysons form was a pretty good one to observe, just don't leap like he did. Watch the way he dipped, then the power can came from the legs and the rotation. The muscle mass was secondary to the technique.
          Last edited by Redd Foxx; 08-11-2018, 08:03 AM.

Comment

You can work on your rotation and explosive strength using a cable machine. There are a few variations you can do. I'll put it about shoulder height, get in a boxing stance and explode through the rep with a punch. It helps with your explosiveness, strength in your trunk/rotation, and helps incorporate more muscle fibers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFxmc8Pj3xY - Similar to this but you can do more of a hook by standing more sideways. I also like to set the cable lower and explode upward.

I do lat pull downs (in 3 variations), as well as wide grip pullups, but I don't isolate my arms at all as I feel the extra muscle hurts your timing and speed (which correlate into stronger punches).

Comment

If I work my lats using machines (like a rowing machine), doing various different sets and weights and probably a lot of repetitions, do any of you guys have any idea if this would help me throw a harder hook punch?
              No. Forget shoulders, hook power is in your abs and legs --- moreso abs.

If you want real power you need to learn snap and snap has little to do with strength, it's about torque which is the abs.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                Bodybuilding movements don't contribute much to boxing power. If you want to improve your hooking power, work on your rotation. The movement of your weight shifting as you turn your feet, legs, hips, and (especially) shoulders into the hooks. Muscle is for pushing. Your not pushing punches. Not good ones anyway.

When my hooks became particularly powerful, it was because I finally got the shoulder rotation down. After dipping forward (maybe from throwing a straight right) envision yourself pulling your right shoulder back to position and your left shoulder is attached to a battering ram (your forearm) that you are swinging to the target. Couple this with the hips and legs (so much of the power is generated by the left leg).

When you "get it" you'll notice the power is suddenly amplified and your balance is better. Tysons form was a pretty good one to observe, just don't leap like he did. Watch the way he dipped, then the power can came from the legs and the rotation. The muscle mass was secondary to the technique.
                This, movement, speed, shifting body weight.

And ... 80% is natural, if you ain’t got power eg Paulie or Bradley, you ain’t ever having KO power.

Comment

you want a crazy powerful hook? First throw it correctly and work the **** out of your stomach muscles. Make your mid section strong as funk.....Rockin'

Comment

If I work my lats using machines (like a rowing machine), doing various different sets and weights and probably a lot of repetitions, do any of you guys have any idea if this would help me throw a harder hook punch? I've done some research and the consensus seems to be that weight lifting doesn't necessarily translate to better striking power, or at least doesn't do a lot.

I have a background in Tae Kwon Do (yeah I know, I know) but I also did kickboxing. I still shadowbox a little and throw combinations at the wall so I stay somewhat proficient with my fists. Anyway, I'm probably not a great fighter but I do have good hand speed (I rate it silver+) and I have good technique that maximizes my power. So overall I have some experience and I'm not terrible. I want to know if stronger lats would help me punch harder.
                    Your technique probably isn't as good as you think it is. That being said it's always good to be stronger in boxing. The trick is getting significantly stronger without moving up a weight class. If you increase your bench, squat, and deadlift by a plate each then you're increasing your overall strength by 270 lbs which is incredibly significant and would certainly make you a better fighter provided you're also prioritizing boxing skills and technique as your number one focus.

Comment

Working...
                    X