Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Rolls is not that bad - change my mind

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's a 35 year old career sparring partner. That's really all you need to know

Comment

Originally posted by Dagomba View Post
      Dude you are seriously considering triangle theories to prove your point several times as if that **** is credible. LMAO

Look Here's how Margarito is actually on the level of Pacquiao:

Margarito > Roberto Garcia > breidis prescott > Khan > Maidana > Morales > Pacquiao

Go home guy, your arguments are wack as *****. You are taking clips of the guy against C level opposition and making an assessment on how he can perform vs Golovkin?

You know who had a feel out round? GGG vs Martirosyan and it ended in round two.

Oh yeah but Martirosyan > ishe smith > bundrage >cory spinks > mayorga >forrest >mosley > ODLH
      Lol you're not a real fan man and you apparently are allergic to logic.

One of GGG's best traits is his ability to dispatch of a guy not on his level/who can't physically compete. So wouldn't be surprised if that happened to Rolls as well around round 4-5.

Wouldn't be surprised if the first few rounds are rounds where GGG is getting his timing. May take 3, may take 1. Who knows we will see.

Unlike 50% of the people talking about Rolls I have actually watched film of him and looked at his resume and he showed himself to be a decent fighter.

You can try and exaggerate all you want but based on who he was been in with - he was as good as Nicholson who was as good as Aleem. Just stick with that one if doing more hurts your little baby brain.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
        are you serious? that type of logic does not work in any sport
        Well let's keep it simpler Larry - he barely beat Nicholson who tied Aleem. Hate if you want to but that basically shows his level is about as good as Aleem.

I'm sure some people will be up in arms about the comparison though. Typical of most posters on here though (not singling you out) - but when presented with new info they don't change their mind.

Their mind is already made up, facts be damned.

Comment

Originally posted by Sable&Whitefish View Post
          Given that styles make fights, and every fight is different in its camp/psychology/atmosphere/motivation, you can't actually learn that much from a common opponent between two fighters.

Breazeale took Joshua 7 rds, Wilder got rid of him in 1. Does that mean that Wilder beats Joshua? No. People love to make the comparisons but they actually tell us very little.

Your comparison is like three people removed, using that logic to say that Rolls is on Charlo's level is hilarious to me because given that you can't put too much stake in performance against a common opponent (something any boxing head will tell you), this boxing edition of six degrees of separation you've come up with has absolutely no significance.

Sorry to have insulted you.

I've been getting really irritated lately with people defending mismatches. Let the promoter try and talk up a weak opponent, boxing fans shouldn't be defending bad fights. It only makes it easier for them to get made. It's like Stockholm Syndrome, I swear.
          I don't want this fight at all lol - but I understand why it's happening and if GGG has 5 fights with DAZN then at least a few of them will be big fights.

Styles do make fights, sure. But let's just keep it like this - Rolls was as good as Nicholson who was as good as Aleem.

That doesn't mean Rolls is great but it does show his level is about the same as Aleem. Do with that what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
            He's a 35 year old career sparring partner. That's really all you need to know
            Any names in particular he has sparred with? It is odd that at his age and with no losses and a decent amateur career that he has never really gotten a shot before this.

Would be interested to see some sparring footage or even stories of him sparring certain guys

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
              Well let's keep it simpler Larry - he barely beat Nicholson who tied Aleem. Hate if you want to but that basically shows his level is about as good as Aleem.

I'm sure some people will be up in arms about the comparison though. Typical of most posters on here though (not singling you out) - but when presented with new info they don't change their mind.

Their mind is already made up, facts be damned.
              that logic does not work..Foreman destroyed Frazier 2 times and Frazier gave Ali hell all 3 times yet Ali ko'd Foreman

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
                that logic does not work..Foreman destroyed Frazier 2 times and Frazier gave Ali hell all 3 times yet Ali ko'd Foreman
                Dude in a way you're actually agreeing with me -

If a guy gets destroyed by one guy, it does not necessarily mean he will get destroyed by a similarly good guy, as we know styles make fights.

But if you are in there with a guy and win a close fight, and that guy has a close fight with another guy. It is reasonable to say those 3 guys are in the same range.

If someone comes through with footage of him getting worked by a lower level guy or something I will change my tune. But saying that the comparison I used is not valid is a poor argument imo. Seems like people don't want him to be any good at all regardless of whether it is true or not.

Comment

No one has heard of Rolls and it appears to be a total joke. You're just trying to say that the guy isn't that bad based on what you've seen and has a resume of some sorts. I can buy that. I know you weren't inferring he isn't going to get squashed or that he's a sleeper. We know he's better than Fielding.

Comment

This is NSB BS at its finest.

There's no argument to an idiotic statement.

Only an idiot would even bother attempting to refute a statement that has no facts in it.

Comment

Originally posted by chirorickyp View Post
                      No one has heard of Rolls and it appears to be a total joke. You're just trying to say that the guy isn't that bad based on what you've seen and has a resume of some sorts. I can buy that. I know you weren't inferring he isn't going to get squashed or that he's a sleeper. We know he's better than Fielding.
                      Thank you - just was doing some research on him and I can't see anything to suggest there are 76 or whatever number guys ahead of him at MW. I didn't immediately see anything in footage or his resume to suggest he was as bad as people are making him out to be.

If GGG is still 80% of what he was then this will still be over in 4 rounds imo, but I always like a guy that had a good amateur career and Rolls had that. And it's boxing and GGG is ageing so a man always has a puncher's chance, but yeah I am not saying Rolls is a sleeper at all.

I just didn't uncover anything in my search about him to indicate he was that bad. Even if GGG walks through him I would like to see Rolls in against someone else decent at MW.

He can box, stays in good shape, and is a pretty good athlete. He looks better than Wade or Hugo Centeno imo...not that that comparison says a lot. He looks like a top 20 at worst to me, maybe on the level of a Culcay.

Comment

Working...
                      X