Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greater fighter: Roy Jones Jr or Floyd Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SweetPbfAli View Post
    Seems you made this thread with your mind already made up. I noticed whenever someone argues in favor of Floyd, you issue a rebuttal.

Roy had issues with Montell before he turned the tide but then punched him while down out of frustration.

Roy was more of a once a generation talent than Floyd and his best win/s are better than Floyd but Floyd has a career of sustained excellence which is unrivaled by his peers. Also, I think Hopkins peaked late and wasn't prime when Roy fought him.

I noticed you mention Corrales being weight drained but nothing about Toney's well known issues making weight. Remove the bias.
    I never mentioned Corrales one time in this thread.

Montell Griffin.. The fight was even heading into the 9th with Roy en route to a stoppage. No problems there.

I don't know why you guys keep saying Hopkins wasn't prime when the man didn't lose another fight for 12 years or so. But hey, people will think what they wanna think

Hopkins had the same features he's always had. Hopkins made excuses after every last one if his losses so no surprise if he said he was green.
    Last edited by Chollo Vista; 07-07-2017, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Akbar One View Post
      That wasn't close to a prime Hopkins that Roy fought the first time. That was a young in the ring, green, still a bit unrefined, and moved around the ring like he had a peg leg Hopkins. He had a tough fight with Mercado a few fights after he lost to Roy. That wasn't a prime or top level Hopkins. Hopkins started reaching next level form by the time of the rematch with Mercado. He was 30 at that time, and that was about two years after the Roy fight if I recall correctly. The Hopkins from that point, through to the Hopkins that beat Trinidad was probably the most dangerous, when you pair the athleticism that he had with his boxing style and technique. In my opinion, he had already started losing some of his quickness and athleticism by the Trinidad fight. Roy was never knocking Hopkins out. Roy can make the injured hand excuse or whatever, but Hopkins was walking through flush shots to the head and body repeatedly with no problem. I think Roy would of had a very tough fight if they had of rematched at 168 when Hopkins was between the ages of 32-37. By no means would a Jones Jr victory have been guaranteed.
      The MW division was very weak during Hopkins run before Trinidad. Who did Hopkins really beat? Holmes? Echols? Old Simon Brown?

The Joppy win was cool, but who really challenged him during his MW run? I mean Howard Eastman?outside of Trinidad, there's nobody to quantify that Hopkins "wasn't"prime against Jones. Especially when he fought the same wat but with more speed and power. Same smarts

Comment

• Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
        The MW division was very weak during Hopkins run before Trinidad. Who did Hopkins really beat? Holmes? Echols? Old Simon Brown?

The Joppy win was cool, but who really challenged him during his MW run? I mean Howard Eastman?outside of Trinidad, there's nobody to quantify that Hopkins "wasn't"prime against Jones. Especially when he fought the same wat but with more speed and power. Same smarts
        If you look at who Hopkins beat prior to Trinidad, it's better than Golovkin's opposition prior to Jacobs, and it ain't close. Lajuan Simon, Milton Nunez, Nelson Tapia, Kassim Ouma, Makoto Fugichami, Gabe Rosado, Nobuhiro Ishida, Marco Antonio Rubio, Daniel Geale, etc. etc., Golovkin's title defenses when compared to Hopkins suck arse. I give Golovkin two credible defenses, Jacobs, and Murray, that's it. And Murray wasn't good enough to be one of the 10 best middleweights most years of the 90s.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Akbar One View Post
          If you look at who Hopkins beat prior to Trinidad, it's better than Golovkin's opposition prior to Jacobs, and it ain't close. Lajuan Simon, Milton Nunez, Nelson Tapia, Kassim Ouma, Makoto Fugichami, Gabe Rosado, Nobuhiro Ishida, Marco Antonio Rubio, Daniel Geale, etc. etc., Golovkin's title defenses when compared to Hopkins suck arse. I give Golovkin two credible defenses, Jacobs, and Murray, that's it. And Murray wasn't good enough to be one of the 10 best middleweights most years of the 90s.
          I never mentioned anything about GGG's defenses for I think his have been weak as well.

But since we're talking about Hopkins, none of his defenses tell me he wasn't fighting in his prime against Jones. How are we supposed to gauge that? Keith Holmes, Simon Brown, Carl Daniels, or Howard Eastman?

Comment

• Please tell me you are trolling? How is this even a debate? I like Roy he was the best boxer in the world for about 8 years. Mayweather has been been dominating for about 20 years straight without a loss. Mayweather has a record of 24-0 against world champions while Roy is 18-9. Yeah he fought past his prime but Floyd has been past his prime for years as well and you never saw him lose like that. The reason why is because Roy was great due to his speed/reflexes and once that left what he had left wasn't good enough anymore. Floyd is the most complete boxer ever so even once most of his speed/reflexes are gone he's still too smart for everyone else. Skill wise there has never been anyone as good as Mayweather, not even close. He's fought a who's who of great fighters over almost a 20 year period and only 2 of those fights have even been close, that unreal & speaks for itself.

Haters will say anything to discredit this man. It's comedy
            Last edited by JK1700; 07-09-2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
              Floyd's resume isn't far superior. Not when you break it down.

Roy won a title at HW and was was outweighed by over 30 pounds, even after he'd bulked up to just under 200. He then burnt muscle in a short space of time, to become only the 2nd man ever to have won titles at MW, LHW and HW, before then going on to reclaim the LHW titles.

Although Ruiz and Tarver weren't ATG's, you have to note Roy's age, his number of fights, the weight loss, and where he'd come from. Those 2 wins were truly great. Because he beat Ruiz with absolute ease, but he had to dig deep to beat Tarver, as he was absolutely exhausted in the last 3rd of the fight. And to do that after fighting as a JMW in the Olympics, was absolutely amazing. People forget that when Roy was at LHW, he was in his 3rd weight class, giving away lots of natural weight.

Floyd also had an extraordinary career, but he didn't take the risks Roy did, and although he was often outweighed, he was hardly ever outsized, enjoying a reach advantage over almost all of his opponents. He has the longevity, and he's never lost to B class guys like Roy, and he's never been knocked out. But Roy's accomplishments definitely match up.

I still disagree, Roy's resume between Toney and Tarver is extremely week. Mayweather did not take a 10 year break from fighting A level competition. The ruiz win is one of his best but lets be real, it was hand picked to suit his style and theres a reason he immediately vacated.

And you bring up Roy being naturally smaller, ****, mayweather fought almost his entire career not only being naturally smaller but being 10+ pounds fight night weight smaller than his opponent. The only fight I can even think of he outweighed his opponent was JMM. He even weighed in less than pacquaio and judah.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                Ezzard Charles lost 25 fights. Lost 15 of his last 18 or 19 fights. Guess what? It doesn't matter.

Nor should it for Jones

DLH, Tyson, Ali, SRL, Duran, etc.. All fought past their primes. No one cares because what counts is what they did in their primes.

In Floyd's prime he got busted up by Augustus, Castillo and Chop Chop.

Roy never had those problems

lol this is someone who obviously never watched the augustus fight. someone who just read the quotes. Go watch the fight, floyd didnt get busted up at all. Augustus showed a great chin and kept coming and coming but hes the only one to get busted up that fight. Chop chop really?

Comment

• Originally posted by el*** View Post
                  lol this is someone who obviously never watched the augustus fight. someone who just read the quotes. Go watch the fight, floyd didnt get busted up at all. Augustus showed a great chin and kept coming and coming but hes the only one to get busted up that fight. Chop chop really?
                  I watched the fight live. The Augustus fight was the reason Floyd changed trainers and left Roger for his dad. He also said Augustus was the best fighter he faced.

Floyd was hurt at least 3 times against Chop Chop. It was a war. I don't recall Jones being involved in wars in his prime from 1988-2003

Comment

• Originally posted by el*** View Post
                    This is what's called "The Mayweather standard". He barely gets touched so if you land 1 or 2 hard punches the whole fight like Shane/Corley it's considered "seriously hurting him" or "almost knocking him out" Haters SMH.

Comment

• It's totally asinine to even compare them now. Even if you don't include all of RJJ's past prime losses, Mayweather has not just beat but dominated the best guys in 5 different divisions. Roy's resume is weak in comparison and if you're looking at their skill sets then Mayweather is miles better. He's like Hopkins/RJJ combined but way more talented/intelligent. If you guy's don't think he's the best of the last 20 years at this point you might as well go and watch another sport like the UFC because it's clear you don't know much about the sport of boxing.

Comment

Working...
                      X