No announcement yet.

Can a boxer be called a coward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a boxer be called a coward?

Im expecting some criticism and hate as usual for this but differences of opinion are what this site is all about so here goes...
    Ive been thinking about this, and i would argue, yes. Yes, a boxer trades punches and can be knocked out at any time, but bravery takes many forms. I'd argue that a lot of the top guys currently could be accused of being cowardly at times. Its these constant articles i see of fighters saying a clearly gifted fighter doesnt deserve a fight (e.g GGG, spence, ortiz) then fighting someone way less deserving. Its the constant cherry picking of people who arent on their level. To me, this culture of cherry picking is reminiscent of the schoolyard bullys picking on people weaker than them.
    And the most recent examples (i can think of many more this year) of garcia fighting vargas, wladimir trying to fight lucas browne, joshua fighting molina, certainly isnt boxers fighting people on there level. To me when someone is 1/33 on like joshua is to win, i dont consider that huge bravery stepping in the ring and getting paid for beating someone up whos a lot worse than them. Again before people start throwing a **** fit, these are recent examples and its not a thread to slate the fighters ive mentioned.

Also, When theres such a disparity in class between two fighters, theres much more of a danger of someone getting hurt too, for example eubank jr v nick blackwell. Should he really be given a pat on the back for fighting live punching bags?

It just seems that many boxers get glorified as these amazing warriors immune from criticism, when what many in boxing are doing in boxing is taking the easy route, because in my opinion many of them are scared of losing. Of course many boxers have shown unbelievable bravery (abraham fighting with that broken jaw, the wars that we see e.g santa cruz v frampton) and there are a couple of great fights coming up (ward/kovalev and loma/walters) where the fighters are putting it all on the line.
    But recently im seeing so much crap where i see 'A' level boxers avoiding each other like the plague to beat up people they know they will beat, and everyone else knows is a mismatch. And im fed up of it.
    So what do people think? Can a boxer be accused of being cowardly? Or should a fighter always be respected for stepping into the ring, regardless of the opponent?
    Please discuss...

yes.

soldiers can be cowards as well.

Being a fighter isnt an automatic immunity for CHRONIC ducking/ cherry picking.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
      Im expecting some criticism and hate as usual for this but differences of opinion are what this site is all about so here goes...
      Ive been thinking about this, and i would argue, yes. Yes, a boxer trades punches and can be knocked out at any time, but bravery takes many forms. I'd argue that a lot of the top guys currently could be accused of being cowardly at times. Its these constant articles i see of fighters saying a clearly gifted fighter doesnt deserve a fight (e.g GGG, spence, ortiz) then fighting someone way less deserving. Its the constant cherry picking of people who arent on their level. To me, this culture of cherry picking is reminiscent of the schoolyard bullys picking on people weaker than them.
      And the most recent examples (i can think of many more this year) of garcia fighting vargas, wladimir trying to fight lucas browne, joshua fighting molina, certainly isnt boxers fighting people on there level. To me when someone is 1/33 on like joshua is to win, i dont consider that huge bravery stepping in the ring and getting paid for beating someone up whos a lot worse than them. Again before people start throwing a **** fit, these are recent examples and its not a thread to slate the fighters ive mentioned.

Also, When theres such a disparity in class between two fighters, theres much more of a danger of someone getting hurt too, for example eubank jr v nick blackwell. Should he really be given a pat on the back for fighting live punching bags?

It just seems that many boxers get glorified as these amazing warriors immune from criticism, when what many in boxing are doing in boxing is taking the easy route, because in my opinion many of them are scared of losing. Of course many boxers have shown unbelievable bravery (abraham fighting with that broken jaw, the wars that we see e.g santa cruz v frampton) and there are a couple of great fights coming up (ward/kovalev and loma/walters) where the fighters are putting it all on the line.
      But recently im seeing so much crap where i see 'A' level boxers avoiding each other like the plague to beat up people they know they will beat, and everyone else knows is a mismatch. And im fed up of it.
      So what do people think? Can a boxer be accused of being cowardly? Or should a fighter always be respected for stepping into the ring, regardless of the opponent?
      Please discuss...

LMAO....come on man. GGG is called a coward at least 100 times a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Objectivity View Post
        yes.

soldiers can be cowards as well.

Being a fighter isnt an automatic immunity for CHRONIC ducking/ cherry picking.
        thats true. if floyd was a soldier he would have abandonded his unit for 5 years only to return when the enemy had already been defeated, he would then struggle mightily with a depleted enemy and pretend that he won the entire war himself.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
          andre ward. deontay wilder and canelo alvarez are close runners up.
          NSB database ism.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
            NSB database ism.
            yeah i thought ward would pull out of the fight. But fair enough he hasnt, credit where its due. But hes not been mr brave all the time, he had a fight that wasnt sanctioned a couple of years back cause his opponent of choice was of such a low level it was considered dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
              thats true. if floyd was a soldier he would have abandonded his unit for 5 years only to return when the enemy had already been defeated, he would then struggle mightily with a depleted enemy and pretend that he won the entire war himself.

reminds me of these scene from gladiator

Commodus:
              Have I missed it? Have I missed the battle?

Marcus Aurelius:
              You have missed the war.

Commodus:
              Father, congratulations. I shall sacrifice a hundred bulls to honor your triumph.

Marcus Aurelius:
              Save the bulls. Honor Maximus. He won the battle.

Comment

how was Klitschko/Browne considered cherry picking? The man hasn't fought in a year, coming off a loss, and Browne is top 10

Comment

Anybody can be coward. It completely depends on the situation.

I'm scared of bugs. I see a roach, and I b*tch out. For boxers, I believe that they experience fear when confronted by another boxer who stylistically is all wrong for them, or is just superior to/better than them, simple as that. With the importance placed on records, wins/losses, etc, boxers rarely want to engage with somebody who could take their 0 away. It means that they end up being carefully constructed, put it with cans, and manufactured into monsters.

There is one thing that erases all fear of losing though - money. Throw enough money at a dude, and he'll take a fight i.e Kell Brook, Saul Alvarez.

Give me enough money, and I'll eat a ****roach.

Comment

Yes but only if I'm not a fan of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X