Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manny Pacquiao or Rocky Marciano? Who's Greater?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pacquiao is better than Marciano. But Balboa would kick both of their asses. Nobody beats the Italian Stallion!

Comment

Originally posted by bolopunchez View Post
      Should we just forget that DLH was a shot fighter and weight-drained?

Should we forget that Cotto and Hatton were past their best days?

Should we forget about Pacquiao's loss to a past-prime Morales?
      No lets not forget. But, lets also not forget Joe Louis was shot way past his prime

lets not forget that Ezzard Charles and Archie Moore were MWs who were past their best days.

lets not forget that Joe Walcott was past his best days.

Lets not forget that Rocky Marciano retired instead of facing a top prime HW in Floyd Patterson.

Please lets not forget all that.

Now since I answered your question. Can you answer mine and tell me. Who did Rocky Marciano in their prime that was better than the Barrera was in the first Pacquiao fight?
      Last edited by jrosales13; 03-24-2010, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
        Just because he never lost doesnt make him automatically elite. Im not fond of his talents or his resume. He only fought old fighters.
        I used to think exactly the same thing. Some champions just don't have the luxury of great opponents. Ask the Klitschko's. When Ali was champion in the 1960's, his division was total ****. Why else would his first post Liston defense be against Patterson, who had just failed twice to last even one round with Liston? The truth is that Patterson was the best of the rest. If Ali hadn't returned in the talent rich 70's he would have suffered the same stigma. Marciano fought all the top available contenders and beat them. You can disagree all you want, but being the only undisputed heavyweight champion ever to retire unbeaten makes you elite and a legend.
        Last edited by Scott9945; 03-24-2010, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bolopunchez View Post
          So you think he cleaned out any of the divisions he's fought in? Why don't you tell me which one, then?

Was it the super featherweight division? After he had a controversial decision win against Marquez and then fled the division?

Let's also not forget that he avoided fighting Guzman (a slick boxer).
          You really think Guzman stands a chance? He would get battered. He isn't active, he's lazy. Pacquiao KO's him with ease.

Pacquiao never intended to stay at 135 anyway. If you remember after the Diaz fight he was already talking about fighting Hatton at 140.

And really, how do you come to the conclusion that he "fled" from a 130lb'er? He just dominated the **** out of two of the best Welterweights. Yeah, I'm sure he's really scared of Marquez! Bring the dude to 140+, we'll see how well he does then. Marquez gets KTFO!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
            When you watch Marciano fight. Do you see any great skills at all? Any talent?

I dont.
            Skills don't dictate greatness. Heart and determination have overcome skills many times in history. Im not saying Rocky was greater than Pac, but he was great.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
              No lets not forget. But, lets also not forget Joe Louis was shot way past his prime

lets not forget that Ezzard Charles and Archie Moore were MWs who were past their best days.

Lets not forget that Rocky Marciano retired instead of facing a top prime HW in Floyd Patterson.

Please lets not forget all that.

Now since I answered your question. Can you answer mine and tell me. Who did Rocky Marciano in their prime that was better than the Barrera was in the first Pacquiao fight?

And, no Marciano did not clean out the HW division. Floyd Patterson was there.
              Charles still managed to go 15 rounds. Still pretty durable.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                Skills don't dictate greatness. Heart and determination have overcome skills many times in history. Im not saying Rocky was greater than Pac, but he was great.
                He had great heart and toughness. Thats about it in my eyes.

Comment

I don't know were this whole Marciano cleaned out the division comes from. But, he didn't clean out ****.

He never beat Tommy Jackson Nino Valdez. All these were top 10 HWs during Marciano reign. How exactly did Marciano cleaned out the HW division?

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                    In order for Marciano to get a title shot, he had to beat Louis. He actually didn't wanna fight him.

Charles was sliding, but he was not shot. Moore was was actually in his best days. He was the reigning light heavyweight champion of the world and continued to defend his belt after the Marciano fight. Take note that he also weighed in more than Marciano.

He just came off of two great wins over Charles. One of them being by knockout. Those are actually considered to be his best days.

When Marciano retired, Patterson was not rated within the top 10 of the heavyweight rankings. Are you really trying to say that he avoided a smaller fighter that wasn't even regarded as a top 10 fighter, at the time?

Walcott and Moore were in their primes. Don't let age fool you. Walcott was in the best part of his career and at the peak of his abilities. Moore was the reigning light heavyweight champion and would continue to reign for many years afterward.

And, no Marciano did not clean out the HW division. Floyd Patterson was there.
                    He actually wasn't. Here's the top 10 rankings in the heavyweight division from 1955 (which was the year Marciano had his last fight):

Rocky Marciano, Champion

1. Archie Moore
                    2. Bob Baker
                    3. Tommy (Hurricane) Jackson
                    4. John Holman
                    5. Willie Pastrano
                    6. Nino Valdes
                    7. Johnny Summerlin
                    8. Bob Satterfield
                    9. Young Jack Johnson
                    10. Ezzard Charles

You don't see Patterson, there, do you? Patterson was still green, at the time, and only became ranked as a heavyweight because he took part in a heavyweight title eliminator tournament. The tournament to capture the vacant belt left behind by Marciano.

Comment

Originally posted by S A M U R A I View Post
                      Charles still managed to go 15 rounds. Still pretty durable.
                      Durable, he is an ATG fighter. But, he was not in his prime when Rocky fought him.

Comment

Working...
                      X