No announcement yet.

What do you think of Oscar dela hoya's carreer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of Oscar dela hoya's carreer

On the whole I thought he did quite well. He seemed willing to take some risks and only lost to quality fighters.

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    On the whole I thought he did quite well. He seemed willing to take some risks and only lost to quality fighters.
    Absolutely brilliant career! Took just about every risk a fighter could and fought near as dammit prime versions of the whos who of the pound for pound top ten near his weight for over 12 years!

Heres just a few names:

Hernandez
    Chavez
    Whitaker
    Quartey (prime)
    Trinidad (prime)
    Mosley (prime)
    Gatti
    Vargas
    Hopkins (prime)
    Mayweather (prime)
    Pacquiao (prime)

He won a few lucky decisions (possibly Whitaker, Quartey and Sturm) and lost a few unlucky decisions (Trinidad, Mosley 2).

The only really disappointing results/fights was the ending in the Hopkins fight and his performance against Pacquiao (clearly far too weight drained).

Comment

SugarJ is spot on here. ODLH got some calls he shouldn't have and took the short end on some he should have got.

Comment

I like how he was willing to give many good fighters a shot.

What angers me is how he was robbed against Trinidad, Mosley the 2nd time, and was awarded the win by one incompetent judge in the Mayweather fight.

The robberies circulate the myth that he wasn't able to win all of his big fights.

Comment

Negatives-

1) Never a legit 130lb champ. Fighting a guy like Bredahl for the WBO strap? C'mon now.

2) Didn't fight certain guys unless the guy had been exposed or damaged- Didn't fight Vargas until after Tito ruined him. Didin't rematch Shane until after Shane was brought down to earth by Forrest. Mayorga was destroyed by Tito. Chavez was shot, and had a cut from sparring gong into the first fight...and then Chavez is that rare foe Oscar gave a rematch to! Genaro Hernandez was a 130lber who reportedly had his beak busted by Mosley in sparring.

3) May have deserved the nod against Trinidad, but he was largely responsible for turning one of the most anticipated fights in history into a dreadful sport-hurting affair...especially when he sprinted out the final four.

4) Looked like he bailed against Hopkins.

5) Never fought Winky Wright while just about every other prominent 147-160lber of that era fought him.

Comment

^point 2 is reaching so badly. De La Hoya has fought a whole lot of top fighters at their best or near it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
              ^point 2 is reaching so badly. De La Hoya has fought a whole lot of top fighters at their best or near it.
              Doesn't mean what I said didn't happen or wasn't true. Pointing out that while he did for the most part fight everyone around, he had a few fights that he shouldn't be given a ton of credit for.

Comment

Vargas was still game and PED enhanced (and DLH didn't even go up to 154 until after Trinidad fought him). Hernandez and Chavez were gonna end up the same no matter what rumors exist. Wright didn't make sense from a business standpoint. (And DLH couldn't fight every single person who existed. Nobody else has his opponent list from that time and weight.) I don't agree with a lot of your points.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
                  Vargas was still game and PED enhanced (and DLH didn't even go up to 154 until after Trinidad fought him). Hernandez and Chavez were gonna end up the same no matter what rumors exist. Wright didn't make sense from a business standpoint. (And DLH couldn't fight every single person who existed. Nobody else has his opponent list from that time and weight.) I don't agree with a lot of your points.
                  Chavez was cut...that's a fact, not a rumor. It was pointed out as he was standing during the introductions and then that very cut was opened up by a routine jab just seconds into the fight.

Vargas was PED enhanced? That is speculation, not to mention that whatever he may have been taking hardly enhanced him for that fight. He looked tight as a drum and I don't mean that in a good way. Vargas was referred to as "fat" and was more concerned with looking in shape than with whatever benefits/advantages his "stuff" would bring.

Fighting a guy who would beat you or at least make you look pretty awful is always sensible from a business standpoint. We are talking about Oscar's career here, and it's a mark against him that he never fought the guy everyone else stepped up and fought in Winky Wright.

Was Oscar great? Yes? Is he a HOFer? Of course.

Comment

his fight with trinidad hurts his career a little

Comment

Working...
                    X