Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it time the government steps in and regulates boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oldpops View Post
    X2. I've never seen the government
    FIX anything
    people used to drink alcohol instead of the water that came out of their faucets because it was safer to do so. you are used to government failing because over the last 50 years it has been rendered impotent by big money interests who make sure nothing gets done. thats not a problem with the concept of government but the concept of government takeover/corruption.
    Last edited by daggum; 07-25-2019, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Government would fix boxing how? Adding a big tax on it?

Comment

YES!
        We need some type of oversight, so who else?

At present it’s the abc’s, who have a clear conflict of interest and the athletic commissions to a lesser extent.

Ideally we need an international organisation to police the boxing world. At present, the only international org’s are the abc’s - and they are as crooked as a bag of snakes.

Mandating/enforcing terrible fights
        Sanctioning terrible fights
        Payment for rankings
        Favouritism for certain fighters
        Creation of new titles from nowhere
        Promoters pretending they are advisors (even if they do look after their fighters)
        Drug testing debacle
        Freedom of press for boxing. Journo’s have to kiss the arse of promoters or they get shut out.

I think as boxing fans, we have all become de-sensitised to how f&%cked up the whole boxing system is.
        It’s not a single issue, the whole game is an absolute mess. Get popped for PEDs in one state/country, easy just go to another and fight.

Take this site for example - The IBO will soon become #5 abc if boxing scene gets it way promoting them. That makes it less attractive for casual fans and in the long run shooting themselves in the foot.
        Thomas Hauser is one of the best investigative boxing journo’s of our generation and has contributed to the sport more than 90% of us... but was happy to take hush money from HBO.

I guess the question is: What type of organisation will put the sport of boxing in front of their own interests?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldpops View Post
          X2. I've never seen the government
          FIX anything
          ...or 'boxing people' lol

Comment

LOL!! Boxing people should fix it?? LOL!! When people are dying then law enforcement is going to get involved soon.

You can sign a waiver for civil liability but you can just do as ypu please because you are boxing. If boxers are dying due to steriods someone is going to jail. They made an example of Barry Bonds and the Feds would have no problem bringing down a boxing promotion to set a precedent.

Comment

Working...
            X