Forum Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2019, 06:17 PM #161
Boxing_1013 Boxing_1013 is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,571
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Rep Power: 11
Boxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 81,682.72
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 81,682.72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Henning View Post
the amount of ppv fights showtime and hbo(were doing) were very mininal over the last few years

you basically had canelo on ppv...and one time they experimented with golovkin because they invested in him and wanted to see where they were at...then you had kovalev/ward which should have been successful(but because the general US public is dumb and dont know what is what)....overall there were very few

and with hbo/sho you also get shows and movies and good docs

espn went app but still did ppv when it came to crawford

espn and pbc will still go ppv when it calls for it...they arent going to just stop cause some other company is trying to eliminate it...emphasis on the "try"...it may only be a matter of time before DAZN just becomes one of them
Hey man I am just glad to see a platform put out some decent content for a decent price...with a much reduced PPV price. That's the key for me.

I see the potential downsides and I don't think DAZN is perfect by any means, but the pushback against it/against eliminating PPV is strange to me.
Boxing_1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:24 PM #162
Curt Henning Curt Henning is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7,943
Quoted: 5916 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
Curt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these parts
Points: 106,491.42
Bank: 2,405.62
Total Points: 108,897.04
your worst nightmare. Loma's D up your ass - Ogecca MaMa Great posts like this deserve a medal of honor - kushking 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing1013 View Post
Hey man I am just glad to see a platform put out some decent content for a decent price...with a much reduced PPV price. That's the key for me.

I see the potential downsides and I don't think DAZN is perfect by any means, but the pushback against it/against eliminating PPV is strange to me.
but you are out here talking like pbc. hbo and top rank have been pumping out the ppvs in the last few years...they havent....

and i highly doubt espn and pbc will stop provided the fight warrants it...

im not against it...but they are going to have to prove its sustainable....theyve had only one ppv worthy fight so far....and will fighters be ok with potentially leaving money on the table if the fight is big enough?
Curt Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:53 PM #163
Boxing_1013 Boxing_1013 is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,571
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Rep Power: 11
Boxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 81,682.72
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 81,682.72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Henning View Post
but you are out here talking like pbc. hbo and top rank have been pumping out the ppvs in the last few years...they havent....

and i highly doubt espn and pbc will stop provided the fight warrants it...

im not against it...but they are going to have to prove its sustainable....theyve had only one ppv worthy fight so far....and will fighters be ok with potentially leaving money on the table if the fight is big enough?
Dude you seem focused on trying to have an argument just for the sake of having one lol. Just pointless really.

As I mentioned before, every big fight is on PPV on those platforms. I am basically a 'big fight' guy so every fight I would want to watch costs $70-$100. I would never pay that and it sucks because I would like to watch those fights. A big fight on DAZN just cost $20, and it was $10 for me because I decided to pay the annual fee.

If DAZN has a 4 'big fights' a year, I'm paying $20 per fight at the current rate, and getting all the little ones for a few dollars a piece. It is obviously a good deal.

The guys signed to DAZN seem to be getting paid way above what I felt they could get so far so I don't think much is getting left on the table. Whether it is sustainable or not is a good question.

But GGG never made sh.it really without Canelo. His biggest payday beyond that was maybe Jacobs or Brook for about $5-10 million. He is getting like $15 million to fight Steve Rolls lol. A similar fight with Wade and GGG got $2 million.

If you want to keep supporting the big money PPVs that is your prerogative, but charging that much for the fights you really want to see means I never got to watch Wilder-Fury, Khabib-Connor, etc live. And I would have liked to.
Boxing_1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:03 PM #164
Curt Henning Curt Henning is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7,943
Quoted: 5916 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
Curt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these parts
Points: 106,491.42
Bank: 2,405.62
Total Points: 108,897.04
your worst nightmare. Loma's D up your ass - Ogecca MaMa Great posts like this deserve a medal of honor - kushking 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing1013 View Post
Dude you seem focused on trying to have an argument just for the sake of having one lol. Just pointless really.

As I mentioned before, every big fight is on PPV on those platforms. I am basically a 'big fight' guy so every fight I would want to watch costs $70-$100. I would never pay that and it sucks because I would like to watch those fights. A big fight on DAZN just cost $20, and it was $10 for me because I decided to pay the annual fee.

If DAZN has a 4 'big fights' a year, I'm paying $20 per fight at the current rate, and getting all the little ones for a few dollars a piece. It is obviously a good deal.

The guys signed to DAZN seem to be getting paid way above what I felt they could get so far so I don't think much is getting left on the table. Whether it is sustainable or not is a good question.

But GGG never made sh.it really without Canelo. His biggest payday beyond that was maybe Jacobs or Brook for about $5-10 million. He is getting like $15 million to fight Steve Rolls lol. A similar fight with Wade and GGG got $2 million.

If you want to keep supporting the big money PPVs that is your prerogative, but charging that much for the fights you really want to see means I never got to watch Wilder-Fury, Khabib-Connor, etc live. And I would have liked to.
remember when ROC nation was signing guys to big money to get guys to come to them? and then ward fights didnt sell?

im not arguing for the sake of anything...im just saying...if it works? good...but im not so sure its sustainable while making a profit...which is their goal and end game...not to burn money while making boxing affordable to fans

when i said "left on the table" i mean if the fans are willing to pay 80-90 for their fight why charge 20? thats wilders point...he feels the same amount of people that will buy on DAZN would buy at a higher price point...his whole team feels that way...aka leaving money on the table....i was implying the DAZN guys werent getting paid good money
Curt Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:12 PM #165
Boxing_1013 Boxing_1013 is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,571
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Rep Power: 11
Boxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 81,682.72
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 81,682.72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Henning View Post
remember when ROC nation was signing guys to big money to get guys to come to them? and then ward fights didnt sell?

im not arguing for the sake of anything...im just saying...if it works? good...but im not so sure its sustainable while making a profit...which is their goal and end game...not to burn money while making boxing affordable to fans

when i said "left on the table" i mean if the fans are willing to pay 80-90 for their fight why charge 20? thats wilders point...he feels the same amount of people that will buy on DAZN would buy at a higher price point...his whole team feels that way...aka leaving money on the table....i was implying the DAZN guys werent getting paid good money
I only remember them signing Ward, and from a marketing perspective that was an odd move, especially compared to signing proven cash cows like Joshua and Canelo as DAZN did. I could see the angle that it could pay off, but for whatever reason it didn't. I think they wanted him to be the new Mayweather but for whatever reason Ward never sold like Floyd.

Yeah and my only comment on DAZN is I am glad a platform came along that isn't overcharging for PPV type fights. They have a solid roster and to me that is their main selling point - they aren't fleecing viewers on the big fights.

Man honestly I feel bad for Wilder. I think he is getting terrible advice because his people are on the other side of the street as DAZN. He left a ton of money on the table there. I can't fathom a situation where he makes better money than that. Like I said all of DAZN's guys are getting paid better than before, so how can he make more on PPV? I don't see it.

And count me as one person who would pay $10 or so to watch Joshua Wilder. But I wouldn't pay $30 just for that fight. And I know a lot of people have to feel similarly.
Boxing_1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:19 PM #166
Curt Henning Curt Henning is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7,943
Quoted: 5916 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
Curt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these partsCurt Henning is infamous around these parts
Points: 106,491.42
Bank: 2,405.62
Total Points: 108,897.04
your worst nightmare. Loma's D up your ass - Ogecca MaMa Great posts like this deserve a medal of honor - kushking 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing1013 View Post
I only remember them signing Ward, and from a marketing perspective that was an odd move, especially compared to signing proven cash cows like Joshua and Canelo as DAZN did. I could see the angle that it could pay off, but for whatever reason it didn't. I think they wanted him to be the new Mayweather but for whatever reason Ward never sold like Floyd.

Yeah and my only comment on DAZN is I am glad a platform came along that isn't overcharging for PPV type fights. They have a solid roster and to me that is their main selling point - they aren't fleecing viewers on the big fights.

Man honestly I feel bad for Wilder. I think he is getting terrible advice because his people are on the other side of the street as DAZN. He left a ton of money on the table there. I can't fathom a situation where he makes better money than that. Like I said all of DAZN's guys are getting paid better than before, so how can he make more on PPV? I don't see it.

And count me as one person who would pay $10 or so to watch Joshua Wilder. But I wouldn't pay $30 just for that fight. And I know a lot of people have to feel similarly.
if you wouldnt pay even 30 bucks to see wilder/AJ then you are a "poor" ...and the rest of those people you say feel that way are also "poors"....no offense its just true....if you are telling me you wouldnt/couldnt pony up even 30 bucks for wilder/AJ you are poor and probably not really a boxing fan guy....

thats a 80-100 dollar fight...no question

you say wilder is getting "bad advice"....but the people giving wilder advice are some of the most successful in the game...much more successful than eddie hearn that is for sure.....so dont feel bad for wilder....he even said "im betting on myself" so hes fully aware of his situation and what is going on.....he wasnt just told "dont take the DAZN deal" and just listened without understanding...that is very clear by his comments he knows his situation

roc nation also threw big money at cotto..and rigo too...why? because they wanted to bring credibility and show they could land big names....

if people are charging 80-100 for a ppv...and 5-8 people are getting together at a house to throw a mini fight party and splitting the cost...what do you think theyll do at a 10-20 fight? lol.....it will literally cost them next to nothing.....and everyone will be leaving money on the table.....
Curt Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:44 PM #167
Boxing_1013 Boxing_1013 is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,571
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Rep Power: 11
Boxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing_1013 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 81,682.72
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 81,682.72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Henning View Post
if you wouldnt pay even 30 bucks to see wilder/AJ then you are a "poor" ...and the rest of those people you say feel that way are also "poors"....no offense its just true....if you are telling me you wouldnt/couldnt pony up even 30 bucks for wilder/AJ you are poor and probably not really a boxing fan guy....

thats a 80-100 dollar fight...no question

you say wilder is getting "bad advice"....but the people giving wilder advice are some of the most successful in the game...much more successful than eddie hearn that is for sure.....so dont feel bad for wilder....he even said "im betting on myself" so hes fully aware of his situation and what is going on.....he wasnt just told "dont take the DAZN deal" and just listened without understanding...that is very clear by his comments he knows his situation

roc nation also threw big money at cotto..and rigo too...why? because they wanted to bring credibility and show they could land big names....

if people are charging 80-100 for a ppv...and 5-8 people are getting together at a house to throw a mini fight party and splitting the cost...what do you think theyll do at a 10-20 fight? lol.....it will literally cost them next to nothing.....and everyone will be leaving money on the table.....
Lol - I'm not gonna flex on a boxing website. But people who have money are usually good with money. And won't pay champagne prices for a dollar menu deal. That fight in particular just doesn't really interest me that much.

In large part due to the fight being pushed back beyond when I wanted to see it. I may pay $10 for it but that's about all it's worth. I would have never paid much more than that for it. Just isn't a very compelling fight for me.

Also, if you don't want to watch GGG-Callum Smith etc, it doesn't mean you aren't a boxing fan. It might just mean you aren't really a big fan of those 2 fighters, especially if the price to view is $100.

Honestly man you are doing the same stuff here that I think you do with a lot of fighters - very tribally defending your guy and denouncing the other guy regardless of what the evidence is.

I just don't see how anyone objective can say that Wilder passing up $120 million for 4 fights, when he has maybe made at most $10 million for a fight? The money just isn't there for any fight he would have besides with Joshua, and maybe Fury. And Joshua should get at least 60/40 against him since Joshua rakes against anyone he fights.

I never thought I would see the day when boxing fans are pushing for high priced PPVs to succeed, especially when the alternative model seems to be over-paying fighters to fight. Bizarre.
Boxing_1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:01 PM #168
Stev3 Stev3 is offline
Up and Comer
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 35
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
Stev3 has a spectacular aura aboutStev3 has a spectacular aura about
Points: 5,748.22
Bank: 1,077.68
Total Points: 6,825.90
Default

$100 for a whole year or $70 for 1 PPV....easy choice
Stev3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share This With Friends

Tags
canelo, dazn, jacobs

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 AM.