Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone think Game of Thrones is kind of....overrated???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's a great show. It's a better show than Roman Gonzalez is a boxer. GoT is probably the true P4P # 1 show right now.

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
      Season 1 is a great adaptation, I attribute it to sticking to the themes of the books...Season 2 was good, but this is where every one of the subtle themes that make the source material great started to be abandoned.....some of it is logistical problems(a lot of "main" characters for conventional TV, and time where some of them don't get much to do because it wouldn't make logical sense to the state of the plot) but most of it is that the showrunners started to pander to the lowest common denominator when the show became a hit. The apologists of the show who label any critic of the show as a purist book snob will never admit that.

I would actually respect bigger storyline changes if they sticked to the character deveoplment and themes of the overall plot, but more and more, the show is just concerned with pandering, flashy moments, shock moments and viral content.

Season 1 was great
      Season 2 delivered
      Season 3 is when the show started going downhill but it still had good moments. It had the red wedding, so it was the season the show became pop culture.
      Season 4 was serviceable but this is when the pandering became unbearable to watch. The condescension of the writers is so apparent.
      Season 5 was utter crap but it had the shanking, so the "OMG shock!!" crowd don't give a **** how flawed the writing is by now.

The books are the best thing I've read though. The shock serves the story.
      The dialogue and plot in the last season was horrifically bad. From Ramseys "20 good men" to boob sandsnakes "bad *****" line. I genuinely wonder if they ran out of money to pay for writers and instead just got a random bloke on set to do it for a pint and a packet of crisps

Comment

It's one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.

Comment

Doesn't GRRM write 4 episodes per season? He should have one more, let the 'creator/architect' write half of each season, or 6 out of 10 episodes. It may of stayed more in line with the books (slightly more, the books have much more 'clout' than the tv series).

I think although season 6 will be brilliant, seasons 5 and 6 would be used as the 'set-up' phase to the end game. Thus by that logic not be as galvanising as previous series perhaps. But they would use these two series to gradually and cleverly tie all storyline arcs of the main characters closer, and setting up the final passage, which could be a further 2 seasons to execute. (at a guess).

Season 6, in parts will have that 'inception' vibe to it if its going how I think it will.

Serial drama wise, right now, Deutsland '83 and The Man in the High Castle have me more intrigued than GoT, I find them as entertaining. Very different shows though.

Regardless, Thrones is a top class show, after the 1st two seasons, ive not met anyone who doesn't want to carry on watching more, you should be hooked if you get the 1st 2 series watched.
          Last edited by RightJab; 03-12-2016, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Why is it only people who haventwatched GoT until it got huge that don't like it ?

I have a Couple of friends that have said similar but you can tell they've clearly gone on with an agenda to try not to like it because of the hype and they want to be different.

It's the best show on tv by a fair way right now.
            Last edited by Furn; 03-12-2016, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JabRight View Post
              Doesn't GRRM write 4 episodes per season? He should have one more, let the 'creator/architect' write half of each season, or 6 out of 10 episodes. It may of stayed more in line with the books (slightly more, the books have much more 'clout' than the tv series).

I think although season 6 will be brilliant, seasons 5 and 6 would be used as the 'set-up' phase to the end game. Thus by that logic not be as galvanising as previous series perhaps. But they would use these two series to gradually and cleverly tie all storyline arcs of the main characters closer, and setting up the final passage, which could be a further 2 seasons to execute. (at a guess).

Season 6, in parts will have that 'inception' vibe to it if its going how I think it will.

Serial drama wise, right now, Deutsland '83 and The Man in the High Castle have me more intrigued than GoT, I find them as entertaining. Very different shows though.

Regardless, Thrones is a top class show, after the 1st two seasons, ive not met anyone who doesn't want to carry on watching more, you should be hooked if you get the 1st 2 series watched.
              GRRM wrote one episode a season for the first 4.(The Pointy End,Blackwater, The Bear and the Maiden Fair, The Lion and the Rose). Didn't write for Seasons 5 and 6...probably won't do it again....

Comment

Really good show, but the books are much better, especially season 5 and now 6 where they start really doing there own thing.

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
                  GRRM wrote one episode a season for the first 4.(The Pointy End,Blackwater, The Bear and the Maiden Fair, The Lion and the Rose). Didn't write for Seasons 5 and 6...probably won't do it again....
                  Really? I'm gonna browse my history because I swear I read he did 4 episodes a season.. Either they're wrong, I read it wrong, what source did you get that from?

I read it was 4 episodes a season on a forum, I'm pretty sure (this was last summer, a while back) and they posted a link. So i'm digging through a lot of history there... Unless I dreamt it, you may be correct.

I must have mis-read or what I read was bogus, i'll try and find the website I was on. But yeah he may have just wrote 4 episodes overall, and not per season and ive gone and done a boo-boo!

Regardless, my question still lingers, if he wrote more of the show, would/could it have been better?
                  (Not that the show needs fixing), but I wonder what heavier GRRM invlovment in the shows would have been like?.....

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
                    Why is it only people who haventwatched GoT until it got huge that don't like it ?

I have a Couple of friends that have said similar but you can tell they've clearly gone on with an agenda to try not to like it because of the hype and they want to be different.

It's the best show on tv by a fair way right now.
                    No agenda man. I got my friend into Vikings and he loves it. So I gave Game of Thrones an honest chance, and I do like it. Did you miss that in the OP?

I still don't think it's nearly as good as people say. But it's good. Too many useless uninteresting characters take up large portions though. It's like 7 stories going on at once, only 2 of which are really interesting or have me ready to see what's next.

Like we have the north of the wall and wall stories with Jon, the theon/ramsay storyline, the arya and the hound storyline, the lannisters storyline, the guys from dorne storyline, the stannis storyline, the dany storyline, the sansa/petyr story, etc.

It's not complicated by any stretch lol But it's a lot going on, so there's not much time to invest in caring about each of them. Tyrion and Dany are really the only ones I care about what happens. Maybe Jon Snow if he ever starts doing anything.
                    Last edited by 4Corners; 03-12-2016, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I stopped watching a few episodes into the 3rd season, it's just not interesting to me

Comment

Working...
                      X