Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the standards so high for Triple G?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sugarsmosley_ View Post
    Canelo gave GGG a payday. I don't care about the fights themselves just the purses. so GGG should be happy.
    Tell Shaolin Sword that I'm not you please.

Comment

Mike Tyson curse. People expect a KO all the time.

Comment

Because extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
          Because Roy Jones Jr, at 35, had already been middleweight champion, super middleweight champion, light heavyweight king, heavyweight champion, and had already set his place in the annals of the sport (A 35-year old Roy Jones Jr would've just lost the Tarver rematch, so you can dead that nonsense about getting knocked out by journeymen too).

A 35-year old Floyd Mayweather had already been 130lb kingpin, 135lb kingpin, 140lb champion, 147lb kingpin, 154lb king, had basically spent the prior decade as the sport's unquestioned top fighter, and already had a resume that featured at least 6 fighters likely to end up in the HOF.

Gennady Golovkin is a 35-year old fighter, who literally just fought his second fight that the general public viewed as being serious, with folks, here an elsewhere, trying to put him in the conversation of best middleweight fighters ever, lol.

Alvarez has been able to get the fights and perform in a way to validate his skills, but he was clearly the smaller man in the fight with Golovkin and Golovkin couldn't really do anything to him, sans have punches bounce off of his face.
          What the **** did he do before has to do with where he was at 35? Roy jones was a natural LHW. He got koed by ****ing glen johnson. So he gets a pass for getting koed by bums because of his past but ggg at the same age has to knock everyone out and can't have decisions? GOT YA.

Mayweather in his 30's went split decision with a past prime de la hoya who was on his way out. Oh but pretty boy had a great win there.
          Last edited by satiev1; 09-19-2017, 03:30 AM.

Comment

the standard for ggg is very low. He was ranked as a p4p boxer by many when all he had defeated was bums and dishwashers. He was given a title or 2 in the board room he didn't win them in the ring.

Worse, his fans keep trying to defend the willingness to go to 168 for Chavez jr or froch but not Ward, which he'd have lost in embarrassing fashion.

We just want guysblike satiev1 to hold ggg to the same standard he does boxers he doesn't like.

Comment

Originally posted by satiev1 View Post
              What the **** did he do before has to do with where he was at 35? Roy jones was a natural LHW. He got koed by ****ing glen johnson. So he gets a pass for getting koed by bums because of his past but ggg at the same age has to knock everyone out and can't have decisions? GOT YA.

Mayweather in his 30's went split decision with a past prime de la hoya who was on his way out. Oh but pretty boy had a great win there.
              This is one of your problems. I saw you make an idiotic thread comparing GGG to legends of the sport at a similar age, when he has no business being compared to any of those fighters in terms of resume or ability. You also can't make comparisons with other fighters in terms of where they were at different ages because careers have such different paths, peaks, and lows. It's a pathetic straw man argument, which is why very few gave that thread any validation by replying.

The standards are high for GGG because of the hype, because of people like you, and a little bit because of Abel Sanchez. For me I was not at all surprised by the performance of either fighter. But all I read before the fight was many posts from people like you about how GGG was going to do this and that and walk straight through Canelo, when in reality he was barely able to land a handful of clean power punches. I knew both would create problems for each other, it was Golovkins work rate and determination, his mental game that allowed him to get ahead in the fight and maybe just stay ahead when Canelo came on strong at the end.

In terms of ability GGG did not show he was the superior fighter against Jacobs or especially against Canelo. To me those fights showed that those guys are basically on the same level. If anything the extra size and Golovkins bigger frame played a big factor in the Canelo fight, a fighter who is clearly one natural weight division smaller, but when Canelo put his foot down he was easily getting the better of it.

Basically GGG's hype doesn't match what he has accomplished, the picture is not realistic. When he was knocking out C and D level fighters people were annointing him as potentially p4p 1, which was ridiculous. Now that he has faced a couple of legit fighters you can say that he hasn't stood out as the dominant force that he was portrayed as.

What he has shown is that he is elite and I am happy that he has gotten the high level fights finally and pay days to match. The last 18 months has certainly done more for his legacy than the previous 9 years in my opinion. I just don't think I've ever seen a fighter where so many people were in such a hurry to call great before he had proved it against top opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                This is one of your problems. I saw you make an idiotic thread comparing GGG to legends of the sport at a similar age, when he has no business being compared to any of those fighters in terms of resume or ability. You also can't make comparisons with other fighters in terms of where they were at different ages because careers have such different paths, peaks, and lows. It's a pathetic straw man argument, which is why very few gave that thread any validation by replying.

The standards are high for GGG because of the hype, because of people like you, and a little bit because of Abel Sanchez. For me I was not at all surprised by the performance of either fighter. But all I read before the fight was many posts from people like you about how GGG was going to do this and that and walk straight through Canelo, when in reality he was barely able to land a handful of clean power punches. I knew both would create problems for each other, it was Golovkins work rate and determination, his mental game that allowed him to get ahead in the fight and maybe just stay ahead when Canelo came on strong at the end.

In terms of ability GGG did not show he was the superior fighter against Jacobs or especially against Canelo. To me those fights showed that those guys are basically on the same level. If anything the extra size and Golovkins bigger frame played a big factor in the Canelo fight, a fighter who is clearly one natural weight division smaller, but when Canelo put his foot down he was easily getting the better of it.

Basically GGG's hype doesn't match what he has accomplished, the picture is not realistic. When he was knocking out C and D level fighters people were annointing him as potentially p4p 1, which was ridiculous. Now that he has faced a couple of legit fighters you can say that he hasn't stood out as the dominant force that he was portrayed as.

What he has shown is that he is elite and I am happy that he has gotten the high level fights finally and pay days to match. The last 18 months has certainly done more for his legacy than the previous 9 years in my opinion. I just don't think I've ever seen a fighter where so many people were in such a hurry to call great before he had proved it against top opposition.
                What a load of bollocks, the guy was stronger and sturdier than most middleweights golovkin fought but he's a whole division smaller, are you kidding? I'd like to see canelo go back to 154, his "natural" division.

Comment

Golovkin fanboys are the worst in the sport rn, some of them acting like Canelo was straight blasted through by Golovkin, when actually the fight was close as hell

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                    What a load of bollocks, the guy was stronger and sturdier than most middleweights golovkin fought but he's a whole division smaller, are you kidding? I'd like to see canelo go back to 154, his "natural" division.
                    I don't understand why so many of you think weight equals size. If a fighter naturally outgrows divisions or moves up, it doesn't mean their now as big or their bone structure as big as the fighters in the next division. There can be a number of reasons for this, some fighters don't carry weight as well, some naturally carry more or less water than other people, etc,etc.

Canelo is strong and sturdy, that probably has as much to do with the fact he is an elite fighter, with the mental toughness, and preparation that goes hand in hand with an elite fighter.

Kell Brook showed more durability than most of those middlewights also, what does that mean? Nothing apart from the fact that he is also an elite fighter who isn't going to get caught with silly shots or crumble as some of these lesser fighters might do.

Golovkin has been a middleweight since 2003 during his amateur days. We are talking nearly 15 years, he has fought and competed with as an amateur lots of fighters who are now career smw's and lhw's. He has spent his entire professional career since his pro debut at middleweight. I'm sure he is tight at the weight, but that is what makes him a beast physically at the weight, because he can make it, doesn't take too much out of himself and he is physically domineering as a result.

Canelo is not the same size as GGG - from every picture you see of them together during the weigh in, during the fight, and during the sparring session years ago, Canelo looks one clear weight division smaller. Nothing more, nothing less. Anyone who is impartial would say the same.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                      I don't understand why so many of you think weight equals size. If a fighter naturally outgrows divisions or moves up, it doesn't mean their now as big or their bone structure as big as the fighters in the next division. There can be a number of reasons for this, some fighters don't carry weight as well, some naturally carry more or less water than other people, etc,etc.

Canelo is strong and sturdy, that probably has as much to do with the fact he is an elite fighter, with the mental toughness, and preparation that goes hand in hand with an elite fighter.

Kell Brook showed more durability than most of those middlewights also, what does that mean? Nothing apart from the fact that he is also an elite fighter who isn't going to get caught with silly shots or crumble as some of these lesser fighters might do.

Golovkin has been a middleweight since 2003 during his amateur days. We are talking nearly 15 years, he has fought and competed with as an amateur lots of fighters who are now career smw's and lhw's. He has spent his entire professional career since his pro debut at middleweight. I'm sure he is tight at the weight, but that is what makes him a beast physically at the weight, because he can make it, doesn't take too much out of himself and he is physically domineering as a result.

Canelo is not the same size as GGG - from every picture you see of them together during the weigh in, during the fight, and during the sparring session years ago, Canelo looks one clear weight division smaller. Nothing more, nothing less. Anyone who is impartial would say the same.
                      Im not talking about weight, im talking about how strong and sturdy he is at the weight, how big his bone structure is, how he kills himself to make 154. The guy is 27 and has fought at 164. You're making bullsht excuses. He's short, if that's what you're saying, say it.

And if he's so much smaller, i'd like to see him continue his career at 154.

P.s. brook actually looked smaller, and he was lifted off his feet by golovkin. Canelo was stronger and side by side is simply shorter.
                      Last edited by SplitSecond; 09-19-2017, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X