No announcement yet.

problem in sparing too much defense/going inside

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem in sparing too much defense/going inside

in sparring im always slipping ducking bobbing weaving etc but the problem is because of that i cant throw many punches, yesterday in sparring i threw nothing but counter jabs, i tried throwing the right but just didnt land, my trainer tells me i need a better/higher work rate because i keep waiting for the other guy to throw first.

another problem is i cant/dont know how to go inside my trainer tells me to go closer but i just cant because i have a fear of getting caught while going in but i see other people doing it and it looks so easy

Originally posted by kadafee View Post
    in sparring im always slipping ducking bobbing weaving etc but the problem is because of that i cant throw many punches, yesterday in sparring i threw nothing but counter jabs, i tried throwing the right but just didnt land, my trainer tells me i need a better/higher work rate because i keep waiting for the other guy to throw first.

another problem is i cant/dont know how to go inside my trainer tells me to go closer but i just cant because i have a fear of getting caught while going in but i see other people doing it and it looks so easy

Experiment with going inside when your in there with someone that you know cant hurt you with their punches.... then once you get use to it, and comfortbable with it.. you should be able to do it with just about anyone

real advice from a cat thats not gon hate on you for bein afraid to go inside

Comment

Dude, this isn't a problem this is perfect. You slip too much? No you don't, because there is no such thing. Turn yourself into a defensive style of fighter that counters. All you need to learn by the sound of it is to counter from your defensive positions... Ie as you have defended against the shot, firing shots immediately after. Make them miss and boom, knock their head off.

You gotta play to your own advantages. Use what you have and go with the flow. Being able to defend well is more than half the battle in boxing. The less you get hit the longer you last.

For the countering you need to learn your balance. For instance if you slip to the inside. When I say this I mean, he throws a jab and you slip to your left you are in a perfect place to throw either, a straight right to his head, or a left uppercut to his head. You slip to the outside, and you can land a jab or a right over the top of his arm. Visualise it before you go into the ring, then shadowbox it.

As for getting inside try this one out. You are standing in front of your opponent none of you are doing anything other than eyeing each other up waiting for the other to throw a shot. As you are there, feint a jab to the face really quickly. From that position throw a right hand straight to his body and follow up with a left hook to his head. You have thrown 3 shots, missed the feint and hopefully landed the other 2. 2 points on the board and now you are inside... uppercut, hook, step out, he throws a shot counter etc etc. Just gotta improvise in the ring.

Comment

All about practice...but its even moreso about mental absorption. All the physical practice in the world won't mean anything if it doesn't click in your brain. I've seen guys who spar and boxed for YEARS and are still garbage. Why? Because it just doesn't come together in their heads.

Use that mind...I remember I couldn't for the life of me figure how to throw a long left hook when I first started boxing. It seemed so awkward. Eventually it became second nature.

Comment

when you slip you should be going forward and in perfect position to throw the right. Dont just move side to side.

Comment

Working...
          X