Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maidana still bitter over loss to Khan......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maidana still bitter over loss to Khan......

By Steve Carp
    LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
    Posted: Mar. 27, 2011 | 2:05 a.m.

Marcos Maidana said he can't afford to live in the past, even though the outcome of his Dec. 11 loss to Amir Khan still irks him.

Maidana had Khan in big trouble during the 10th round of their WBA junior welterweight title fight at Mandalay Bay, and Maidana said he is convinced he would have finished off Khan and claimed the belt had referee Joe Cortez allowed him to fight.

Maidana claims Cortez allowed a tired, beaten Khan to hang on by permitting him to remain in clinches, which kept Maidana from pressing forward for the knockout.

Cortez also deducted a point from Maidana's score in the fifth round after Maidana hit Khan with an elbow.

"The referee bothered me," Maidana said. "He wouldn't let me fight. It's hard to fight two guys at the same time."

Maidana wound up losing a 12-round unanimous decision.

He won't have to worry about Cortez when he returns to the ring April 9 to challenge Erik Morales for the vacant title at the MGM Grand Garden. Tony Weeks will be the third man in the ring for the 12-round bout, and the 27-year-old Maidana (29-2, 27 knockouts) is fine with that.

"I'm just going to fight my fight," the Argentinian said. "I'm not worried about what happened the last time. What good does it do?"

As he prepares for the 34-year-old Morales (51-5, 35 KOs), Maidana again has changed trainers, dropping Las Vegas' Miguel Diaz for Rudy Perez after briefly entertaining the idea of working with Nacho Beristain. Maidana and Perez spent nearly five weeks in Mexico training at altitude to get his conditioning up before moving camp to Las Vegas on March 15, training at the Pound 4 Pound Gym on Spring Mountain Road.

"Mexico was good because it gave me my conditioning," Maidana said. "In Vegas, I'm focusing on the game plan and maintaining my conditioning."

Maidana spent 18 months with Diaz. He said it was his decision to bring in Perez.

"(Diaz) was very helpful. He taught me some tricks, and I'm grateful for his help," Maidana said. "But I felt it was time to make a change and move on."

Maidana said Perez hasn't changed his style and is just refining his technique.

"We're still getting to know each other," Maidana said. "But so far, it's been good."

As for the April 9 fight, Maidana is not taking Morales lightly, even though Maidana figures to be a big favorite .

"I've watched Morales' last three fights, and I respect him," Maidana said of the former world champion, who is in the midst of a comeback after retiring in 2007 following a loss to David Diaz.

Golden Boy Promotions has added a 10-round welterweight fight between Paulie Malignaggi and Jose Miguel Cotto on the Maidana-Morales undercard.

if Khan grows some balls, he would give Maidana a rematch.

Comment

Cortez also deducted a point from Maidana's score in the fifth round after Maidana hit Khan with an elbow.
      A point was deducted, but Maidana never Khan with an an elbow.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
        A point was deducted, but Maidana never Khan with an an elbow.
        jup, very bias and terrible article.

Comment

he had his chance to win by KO,He couldnt get the knockout, his fault,no one elses.

im sure khan will possibly rematch at 147 in a year or 2.

Comment

Originally posted by madamfackah View Post
            if Khan grows some balls, he would give Maidana a rematch.
            What about when everyone said Khan had no balls and would not fight Maidana in the first place?

Comment

"Cortez allowed a tired, beaten Khan to hang on by permitting him to remain in clinches"

Is that what he did?

Comment

what about everyone saying maidana was going to destroy khan... beat him down

blah blah blah

and then win khan dominates him

they cry excuses, ask for a rematch etc. etc..

pathetic fools

Comment

The only mistake Cortez made was deducting a point from Maidana. To be honest, I thought it was one of Cortez's better performances.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingking500 View Post
                    what about everyone saying maidana was going to destroy khan... beat him down

blah blah blah

and then win khan dominates him

they cry excuses, ask for a rematch etc. etc..

pathetic fools
                    Exactly. If Maidana wants a rematch he has to earn it. And he isn't going to do that by fighting Morales.

Comment

Working...
                    X