Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How George Chuvalo trained his punch resistance.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How George Chuvalo trained his punch resistance.

George Chuvalo would do head stands against the wall moving his head back and forth and side to side for a half hour or so while talking on the phone. Also he would chew a lot of bubble gum to strengthen his jaw and face muscles.

Do you think that would help with punch resistance much?

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
    George Chuvalo would do head stands against the wall moving his head back and forth and side to side for a half hour or so while talking on the phone. Also he would chew a lot of bubble gum to strengthen his jaw and face muscles.

Do you think that would help with punch resistance much?
    Not sure about the head stands but lifting weights with your head will help your neck but not your brain. bubble gum on the other hand i would like to say would work BUT i have been eating dinners for 28 yrs and the muscles around my chaw are not that big so may take a long time to get them ready

Comment

Originally posted by stocks01 View Post
      Not sure about the head stands but lifting weights with your head will help your neck but not your brain. bubble gum on the other hand i would like to say would work BUT i have been eating dinners for 28 yrs and the muscles around my chaw are not that big so may take a long time to get them ready
      Evan Chan: You have 93 professional fights to your record, and you've never been knocked down before which is extremely admirable considering the fact that you fought Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, and George Foreman. What do you feel contributed to your legendary toughness?

George Chuvalo:I think my physicality enabled me to be better at certain things. For example, a fast runner may have longer calves and this attribute will help him succeed. What helped me a lot is the fact that I have a very short neck. If I had a neck like a stack of dimes, you can bet I couldn't take a good shot. But the fact that I had a short neck and worked on it a lot (as opposed to most fighters who don't work on their neck muscles) definitely helped. I would stand on my head against a wall and move my head back and forth, side to side, for half an hour or so while talking on the phone. This strengthened my shoulder and girdle area. I also chewed a lot of bubblegum and that helped develop my jaw muscles, which stood out prominently when I was younger. There could be unknown factors as well, But I attribut these physical qualities to my toughness.

I just found the interview, thought I would post it.

Comment

George Chuvalo `The Great Canadian Hard Rock`who other fighters broke their hands on.

Comment

Evan Chan: You have 93 professional fights to your record, and you've never been knocked down before which is extremely admirable considering the fact that you fought Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, and George Foreman. What do you feel contributed to your legendary toughness?

George Chuvalo:I think my physicality enabled me to be better at certain things. For example, a fast runner may have longer calves and this attribute will help him succeed. What helped me a lot is the fact that I have a very short neck. If I had a neck like a stack of dimes, you can bet I couldn't take a good shot. But the fact that I had a short neck and worked on it a lot (as opposed to most fighters who don't work on their neck muscles) definitely helped. I would stand on my head against a wall and move my head back and forth, side to side, for half an hour or so while talking on the phone. This strengthened my shoulder and girdle area. I also chewed a lot of bubblegum and that helped develop my jaw muscles, which stood out prominently when I was younger. There could be unknown factors as well, But I attribut these physical qualities to my toughness.

I just found the interview, thought I would post it.

George Chuvalo might just be the funniest and most quoteable guy of his era 'If I had a neck like a stack of dimes, you can bet I couldn't take a good shot'.

Legend!

Its worth buying the documentary 'Facing Ali' just for Chuvalo. There surely cannot be a more articulate guy who ever traded punches with the likes of Williams, Bonavena, Quarry, Frazier, Patterson, Foreman and Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            George Chuvalo might just be the funniest and most quoteable guy of his era 'If I had a neck like a stack of dimes, you can bet I couldn't take a good shot'.

Legend!

Its worth buying the documentary 'Facing Ali' just for Chuvalo. There surely cannot be a more articulate guy who ever traded punches with the likes of Williams, Bonavena, Quarry, Frazier, Patterson, Foreman and Ali.
            I agree it was a very good documentary. Chuvalo is very well spoken and puts it to good use in the war against drugs. I had the extreme privilege of him speaking at my High school about 20 years ago.

Comment

That sounds really, really, dumb.

It's possible that it did work, and there is also a possiblity that it was just a placebo.

I'm inclined to believe that ladder. Standing on your hands increases power and chewing gum makes you have a better chin?

Yeah, I don't buy that.

Comment

thats just ******ed....he was born with a big ass head look at him....margarito is the same....

Comment

I agree it was a very good documentary. Chuvalo is very well spoken and puts it to good use in the war against drugs. I had the extreme privilege of him speaking at my High school about 20 years ago.

No suprise you became a boxing fan!

Comment

Originally posted by SwoleBiceps View Post
                    That sounds really, really, dumb.

It's possible that it did work, and there is also a possiblity that it was just a placebo.

I'm inclined to believe that ladder. Standing on your hands increases power and chewing gum makes you have a better chin?

Yeah, I don't buy that.
                    He would do a head stand against the wall not a hand stand. And then he would lower his body by tilting his head to either shoulder side to side. And also lower and raise his body back and forth for a half hour. Chuvalo weighed over 200 pounds so he was manipulating a lot of weight over a 30 min period using mostly his neck muscles. It would definitely be a good neck work out.

Your jaw also has muscles , you can work them by chewing a lot of gum at a time. It actually works the muscles in the entire face I have tried it.

You might want to be a little more open to the way Chuvalo trained his punch resistance. It was something he was very good at.
                    Last edited by Holtol; 11-02-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X