No announcement yet.

Are UFC PPV Buyrates legit?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are UFC PPV Buyrates legit?

Connor McGreggor and Ronda Rousey were regularly getting around 1m buys (everyone else was doing 100k-300k)

Seems ridiculous compared to boxing, though now they've both lost, I'm guessing they're kinda ****ed

They are not legitimate. UFC is a private corporation and they self-release their PPV numbers. It is the equivalent of Top Rank putting on their own PPVs and releasing their own PPV numbers. Would you believe Bob Arum?

It's a marketing gimmick.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
      They are not legitimate. UFC is a private corporation and they self-release their PPV numbers. It is the equivalent of Top Rank putting on their own PPVs and releasing their own PPV numbers. Would you believe Bob Arum?

It's a marketing gimmick.
      but then why claim your heavyweight champ only does 300k and your flyweight 115k?

Comment

No they're not.

Comment

When it comes to UFC PPV numbers, the one guy you want to listen to is Dave Meltzer, from Wrestling Observer. Consider him the Rick Glaser of MMA, except Meltzer is probably more legit.

UFC might embellish the numbers, but he ends up releasing a more accurate figure a few weeks after the PPV.

This is what he recently said from MMAFighting:

Exact pay-per-view numbers are impossible to get this quickly, but the UFC would have its own internal numbers based on orders off its own web site, and satellite numbers, which are usually a good indicator. Some numbers from different cable sources indicated significantly larger numbers than either UFC 193 or UFC 194.

There ended up being 5.5 million Google searches related to the show, which correlates to both interest in the show and post-fight curiosity regarding the upsets. Only two other UFC events were in that neighborhood, UFC 168, due to Anderson Silva's broken leg, and UFC 193, due to Ronda Rousey's loss to Holly Holm.

The success is likely due to both top fights Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz and Holm vs. Miesha Tate. What a lot of people don't realize about the big UFC numbers is that different stars draw from different groups. In 2015, the McGregor vs. Chad Mendes fight saw more than half of the estimated 800,000 buys come from homes that had not purchased a UFC pay-per-view show up to that point during the year. The Ronda Rousey vs. Bethe Correia fight three weeks later, which did closer to 900,000 buys, saw 68 percent of that audience buying their first pay-per-view event of the year.

So putting McGregor on the same bill with a major women's championship fight, where Rousey's next opponent was likely to be determined, saw the company draw from two large and very different audiences.

The UFC set at least three records regarding its run on FS 1 leading into the show. Coverage of the show broke FS 1 records for the weigh-ins (358,000 viewers), amazing since FS 1 aired the weigh-ins on a three-hour tape delay, the Countdown show (320,000 viewers on a Friday night replay of the show), and the pre-fight show (767,000 viewers). The live weigh-ins, on FS 2, did 145,000 viewers, a record for that station.

Comment

Idk, I would think they're close at least, I don't imagine they're far fetched. After the Nate Diaz fight, I decided to go back and check out what the hype was about this Conor McGregor - after watching his past fights and interviews, I can believe his numbers being close to that. He knows how to sell himself and his recent fights have had a tremendous atmosphere about them (like the fight in Boston, and then Mendes and against I think the #1 guy in Aldo). And he's a well-spoken, good dressing, good looking guy who's actually entertaining when he speaks with entertaining performances. So yeah for McGregor, I can believe it. Ronda? Idk.

How much are the ppv prices?

Comment

Originally posted by MarcoHooker View Post
              Connor McGreggor and Ronda Rousey were regularly getting around 1m buys (everyone else was doing 100k-300k)

Seems ridiculous compared to boxing, though now they've both lost, I'm guessing they're kinda ****ed
              Boxing fans project the boxing landscape onto the MMA/UFC landscape. If Crawford loses his next big fight Arum may have legitimate concerns he's wasted the last several years carefully moving him along & getting him the best "right" fights cuz in boxing a L is an oh ***** moment for a promoter. The UFC is a promoter that is constantly building stars by matching up guys on all levels in competitive matchups & its a someone is gonna rise to the top machine. Boxing & the UFC got some similarities being combat sports, but how they build stars isn't one of them.

I've been hearing boxing guys saying the UFC has been f#cked since 2013 when their PPV king at the time GSP retired. There will probably be 2 or 3 guys who come out of the woodwork to get mainstream attention in the next 12-18 months. The UFC has a winning model for doing just that. Boxing could learn from taking a similar approach. Let the fights decide who the stars are not who the promoters can best sell to the public.

Comment

All I know is I see Rousey and Mcgregor on talk shows(Conan etc). The only boxers I've seen on those sort of talk shows is Pacquiao and to a lesser degree Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                  All I know is I see Rousey and Mcgregor on talk shows(Conan etc). The only boxers I've seen on those sort of talk shows is Pacquiao and to a lesser degree Mayweather.
                  That because most of the top boxers cant speak English

Comment

They're very popular, like splitsecond says, these people get air time on primetime tv in very popular shows like Conan, Ellen Degeneres, Jimmy Kimmel, Fox Sports interviews, ESPN interviews, TMZ etc. When ESPN and Fox are doing an interview with combat sports fighters, they are doing something right, cause ESPN is mostly about MLB, NBA, NFL, Golf, Tennis.

Comment

Working...
                    X