No announcement yet.

Tim Ferriss

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
    Isn't that the demographic for any motivational speaker?

I hate that guy Vaynerchuk, loves to hear himself talk. He's got all of this pretentious advice on how to be successful, meanwhile he made his bones because his pop opened and expanded a liquor store.
    For me, from a sheer value standpoint, I think Vaynerchuk gives much more practical advice.

However, I completely agree he sounds full of himself at times and loves to hear himself speak.

I've just never been a big fan of Tim Ferriss. However, they're both worlds better than listening to Tai Lopez.

Comment

Originally posted by !WAR CHAVEZ! View Post
      true, most of those people audience are a bunch of nerds who in theory know alot of shit but dont know the first thing about putting it to work.
      Exactly, in fact if I were a motivational speaker the best advice I can ever give someone is DO IT, don't talk about it, dont listen to a 1000 of these speakers, dont wait for the right moment because the moment wont ever be right, you wont ever get that one piece of magical advice that will make it happen, just do it and learn as you go. Obviously there is value in educating yourself, but most waste far too much valuable time daydreaming of how great they're going to be instead of taking the first step toward that greatness.

Comment

I think people need to focus more on acceptance and examining their values as a path to enlightenment. Thoreau once wrote, "the mass of men live lives of quiet desperation". Which has been interpreted many different ways but the gist of it is that true success cannot be measured in material possessions, achievements or epic adventures to be posted on Facebook. The desperation comes from too many wants, and a never ending quest for the next, new, shiny thing.

Social theorist Gregg Easterbrook calls this abundance denial. The more money we earn, the more possessions we have, the more goals we reach at first brings us pleasure, but once you adapt to that new circumstance or measure of success, your expectations rise again, and you are right back where you started. You seek another fix of pleasure until you become desensitized to it and the endless cycle of pleasure hunting and happiness seeking continues.

Happiness is fleeting, and we often mistake the things that bring us pleasure for this notion of eternal or long-term happiness. Whether it is money, women, sex, grand vacations, cars, bling or whatever we are chasing, it is all short term pleasure, not long term happiness.

So Thoreau argued that the cost of a thing was not just a matter of it's price tag, but the amount of what we call life that is required in exchange for it, either short term or long term. Basically he is saying, simplify your wants, needs and expectations. Stop seeking that new shiny thing that will never bring you long term contentment.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          He's on my shortlist of favorite podcasts & I'm a podcast nerd & got a very long list of podcasts I listen to on a regular basis. Also randomly checked out the Overdrive 4 hour Work Week a few days ago to re-read it. Haven't listened to Tools of Titans yet, but its on my Audible wishlist so I'll probably get it soon. Heard him say its basically like the updated version or a sequel of the 4 Hour Work Week.

There's actually a lot of these types of cats out there. Remit Sethi is probably my favorite guy although he doesn't have a podcast just a blog, but he shows up often on various podcasts & I believe he's done shows with Ferris more than once. Art of Charm is a real good listen too. Not recalling that guys name right now doe.
          I actually just subscribed to Ramit Sethi's email list. He has some useful information/advice.

Originally posted by johnm is... View Post
          Vaynerchuk > Ferriss.
          Recently discovered Gary Vaynerchuk. I like his candor in his vids/instagram messages.

Comment

Comment

I like his podcasts, prefer Gary Vee though.

Tai Lopez is pure garbage.

Last edited by _original_; 09-18-2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                He's on my shortlist of favorite podcasts & I'm a podcast nerd & got a very long list of podcasts I listen to on a regular basis. Also randomly checked out the Overdrive 4 hour Work Week a few days ago to re-read it. Haven't listened to Tools of Titans yet, but its on my Audible wishlist so I'll probably get it soon. Heard him say its basically like the updated version or a sequel of the 4 Hour Work Week.

There's actually a lot of these types of cats out there. Remit Sethi is probably my favorite guy although he doesn't have a podcast just a blog, but he shows up often on various podcasts & I believe he's done shows with Ferris more than once. Art of Charm is a real good listen too. Not recalling that guys name right now doe.
                You listen to the Revisionist History by Malcolm Gladwell podcast, Panda? It's a superb listen, he just wrapped up his second season.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                  You listen to the Revisionist History by Malcolm Gladwell podcast, Panda? It's a superb listen, he just wrapped up his second season.
                  Oh definitely 100%. I love Malcolm Gladwell. Always puts out good stuff.

Comment

I'm fascinated with this guy. He's interesting, cool, funny and weird. Here he does an "AMA" video while he's semi-drunk off of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by johnm is... View Post
                      Vaynerchuk > Ferriss.
                      That's like comparing apples to oranges. Vaynerchuk and Ferris exist in different and overlapping spaces. Ferriss tries to present information that helps people improve their confidence, self esteem, spirituality as well as give advice on entrepreneurship, business, investing, etc.

Gary V from what I've seen, provides advice and info on business, entrepreneurship and careers.

If you want strictly business, listen to Gary if you want life style **** listen to Tim.

Comment

Working...
                      X