No announcement yet.

Did terrible my first fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did terrible my first fight

Hey fellas, had my first fight back in July. The guy I had an exhibition with had 5 boxing matches and 4 kick boxing bouts for a total of 9.I trained my nuts off just to not really throw any punches and when I do throw them ****ty. Got my mouth piece knocked out 3 times because my I couldn't breath through my nose because it was clogged with blood.

I love this sport more than anything and it's my favorite thing in the world. If I fought a good fight and lost I wouldn't care but I fought like absolute ****. I'm still training now but the thought of embarassing my coaches eats me alive to this day. Thinking this sport isn't for me destroyed what was alot of confidence, especially how I was supposed to be talented according to my coaches and a few others.

Sorry for the long post just feels alot better getting it off my chest after a few months. I can't wait to fight again to prove to myself but in the meantime it's eating me.

before the fight I felt "weird" I wasn't nervous in the slightest, I felt drained per say

end of rant
    Last edited by RudyRude; 11-29-2017, 11:23 PM.

Don’t sweat it, you learnt a heap in your first bout, about yourself and boxing. Getting in there is the first step, the adrenalin and occasion changes everything and you’ll improve for the next one.

Get back in the gym, talk to your coach about areas you can improve. Not sure about the mouth guard issue, you should clear your nose in the corner between rounds and get some adrenalin on swab in there, if your nose is broken not much you can do but get used to the sensation and swallow the blood, you’ll be more prepared next time.

Get your ass back in there as soon as possible and in the meantime spar as much as possible. Don’t let others records get in your head, we all tend to big up the achievements of others but the fact is, he ain’t fought you before, so make the opponent work for their next win.

Comment

Keep in mind, plenty of pros did terribly in their amateur fights and in the pros. Guys like Hopkins lost his pro debut and a legend like Arguello 3-2 after his first five fights.

Practice makes perfect.

Comment

Stick with it, it shows strength.

Spar a lot but also work a lot of basics.

I got some good hits in during my first smoker... And I ate a **** ton too. Learned a lot of weak spots in my game, I have a lot to work on.

BUT, I also took a step back and took pride in getting in the ring, when many people would not.

Comment

Atleast you know how hard it is really now...

Did you have any amateur bouts ?

Comment

When you train, do you get much sparring in?

Comment

Originally posted by White Willy View Post
              When you train, do you get much sparring in?
              Not really, there's not alot of 195lbers in my area. My coach sparred with me because he's 220 and I had a 175er to spar with.

Comment

Originally posted by RudyRude View Post
                Not really, there's not alot of 195lbers in my area. My coach sparred with me because he's 220 and I had a 175er to spar with.
                Then that's why you didn't do good. You need to get a lot of sparring in so you get used to being in the ring. What probably happened was you had stage fright. It happens the first couple sparring sessions with real sparring partners.

You need to be confident in yourself and know that not all punches are going to be perfect. You won't always be on balance and you won't always look good. Look at Dempsey, Louis, Lewis, Klitschko and Joshua. Those guys trained for years and were world champions and they still had/have moments of weakness.

Keep throwing punches. It's like with bullies. Is a bully going to pick on a kid who always fights back and hits him in the mouth or is he going to think twice and instead go for the kid who doesn't protect himself? If you keep throwing punches he's going to be wary about engaging you and probably be on his bicycle.

Comment

It seems like you were fighting a guy with quite a bit more experience than you.

Comment

Originally posted by RudyRude View Post
                    I wasn't nervous in the slightest, I felt drained per say

end of rant
                    "Drained" is from nervousness. That numb feeling where your whole world is spinning. You get over that with a lot of sparring. Sparring is by far the most important training especially in the beginning. It doesnt matter what shape youre in, as soon as your nerves kick in all that conditioning is out the window.

SPAR, SPAR, SPAR and SPAR SOME MORE. Sign up for another fight that's at least 45 days away and spar at least 15 rounds per week. 25 is even better.

Comment

Working...
                    X