Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of the best TV episodes about boxing I've seen...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the best TV episodes about boxing I've seen...

... Rockin' might identify with this.

See, it's not about a guy who succeeds. It's about a guy who puts all his hopes and dreams into boxing, and still fails.

When you see the boxing scenes they're not the best, despite the fact that the writer (Rod Serling) had boxed himself in the army. I've never laced 'em up, but the foot movement isn't so hot to my eyes.

But it's not about the depiction of boxing, it's about the metaphor. You might note that the cast is nearly all black (with just one white guy, a promoter who tries to stitch him up) and this episode actually won awards for being possibly the first TV episode in US history (this was c.1960) to feature pretty much an all-black cast.

And that's the metaphor as well. Because when the guy talks about just having a "face full of scars" he's not just talking about his life as a boxer. He's talking about his life, full stop. (Period, Fat Yanks). The life of a black man in late 50s America who has had to struggle for everything, and has been given no opportunities to further his existence.

Have a look at it, you ****ing ****s:

One of my favorite episodes.

****ing love twilight zone.

Comment

Classic show, isn't it? There's a certain stagy, literary quality to the scripts that you don't get today. That rooftop scene could be a theatre play.

Comment

No one watched this then?

You can imagine that little kid at the end with Rockin', can't you?

"Rockin', you can do it... you can say you didn't get KTFO in a single round by Derrick 'Hands of Stone' Coleman'... you just have to belieeeeeeeeeevee... belieeeeeeeeeeeeeeve...."

"I can't believe, kid. You haven't laced 'em up."

Comment

I watched it last night, brilliant stuff. Thanks for posting it. I used to watch TTZ when i was a kid and can remember watching this episode.

Comment

There was a twilight zone episode based on a short story called Steel written by Richard Matheson. I always loved that one.......Rockin'

Comment

Yeah, ISTR there were a few in the run, weren't there?

I remember we discussed writing ours over pm once, Rockin'. I had the idea for one, but I wanted you to work with me on it for technical advice.

Because I don't know if you're aware, but I haven't laced 'em up.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
                Yeah, ISTR there were a few in the run, weren't there?

I remember we discussed writing ours over pm once, Rockin'. I had the idea for one, but I wanted you to work with me on it for technical advice.

Because I don't know if you're aware, but I haven't laced 'em up.
                You've never laced 'em up?!?!?? OMG, how can you possibly live with yourself?

I do remember a long time ago chatting about that, I think. I have to finish this game before I start any new projects but when I'm done I'm game to write with you. Even though you've never.............

What is ISTR? .................Rockin'

Comment

I Seem To Remember.

Comment

Working...
                  X