Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it make sense to sue oil companies for Climate Change damage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it make sense to sue oil companies for Climate Change damage?

*Disclaimer: This is not a thread to debate climate change itself. There are loads of other threads in this forum somewhere if you dont agree climate change exists/ is man made.

So apparently New York City is going on the offensive with big oil companies, firstly divesting their $189 billion pension fund from fossil fuels within 5 years (apparently), but also by taking 5 big oil companies, BP, Exxon Mobil, Chevron, ConocoPhillips and Shell, to federal court for their contribution to climate change.

While I appreciate the sentiment, Im not sure you can lay the blame purely at oil companies doors, when its us using their product, us using a ****ton of electricity every day to power our lifestyle, us driving our cars every day... Unless they can prove that these companies have deliberately hidden evidence or something of that nature, which will surely be extremely difficult to do even if that is what they have been doing, what case does NYC really have? "Wah, all that nasty stuff you guys legally sold us, and we willingly bought, is destroying our climate/land and no one has ever warned us about this ever"

Climate change to me is a problem brought about by all of us, with the consequences affecting all of us as well. I feel like this is a case of pointing the finger at others and having 4 pointed back at yourself.

What are your thoughts on this, Boxingscene lounge? I have faith that we, as a community, can have a reasoned debate about this.

Sauce:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-oil-companies

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    *Disclaimer: This is not a thread to debate climate change itself. There are loads of other threads in this forum somewhere if you dont agree climate change exists/ is man made.

So apparently New York City is going on the offensive with big oil companies, firstly divesting their $189 billion pension fund from fossil fuels within 5 years (apparently), but also by taking 5 big oil companies, BP, Exxon Mobil, Chevron, ConocoPhillips and Shell, to federal court for their contribution to climate change.

While I appreciate the sentiment, Im not sure you can lay the blame purely at oil companies doors, when its us using their product, us using a ****ton of electricity every day to power our lifestyle, us driving our cars every day... Unless they can prove that these companies have deliberately hidden evidence or something of that nature, which will surely be extremely difficult to do even if that is what they have been doing, what case does NYC really have? "Wah, all that nasty stuff you guys legally sold us, and we willingly bought, is destroying our climate/land and no one has ever warned us about this ever"

Climate change to me is a problem brought about by all of us, with the consequences affecting all of us as well. I feel like this is a case of pointing the finger at others and having 4 pointed back at yourself.

What are your thoughts on this, Boxingscene lounge? I have faith that we, as a community, can have a reasoned debate about this.

Sauce:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-oil-companies
    It makes sense for New York politicians..LOL since most people take the view that climate change is real. Oil and gas were perfectly legal to sell. How they are going to win this is puzzling. Personally I'm in favor of alternate energy if it's phased in properly.

Comment

I wouldn't get a chance to sue them nor would the average Joe as money talks and these oil conglomerates would get us killed quicker then a flash protecting there profits/interests.

Comment

Working...
      X