No announcement yet.

What size is best at Heavyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size is best at Heavyweight?

I was wondering what the best size for a Heavyweight is? taking into account the talent pool at the different sizes. I think about 6'2 and 220 pounds is a good size. They are big enough plus the chances for extreme athletic ability are more likely.

I think Lewis and the Klitschko's are good but I don't know if their body's are Prototypical at Heavyweight.

There is no real "best" size as size is always an adantage as you tailor your style taking your height reach and all dimensions into account but for the purpose of the question,
    I think Louis - Ali height is great. 6 - 6,3 IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      There is no real "best" size as size is always an adantage as you tailor your style taking your height reach and all dimensions into account but for the purpose of the question,
      I think Louis - Ali height is great. 6 - 6,3 IMO.
      I think reach and strength are advantages. But things like great hand eye coordination, speed, agility, boxing smarts are very important also and very rare.

I think the last 15 years are an abnormality. Only because men at 6'6 plus are not very common at all. They have less potential boxers in their pool.
      Last edited by Holtol; 10-26-2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I like 6 ft 4 and 220Lbs. Prime Foreman's dimensions!

I thought Ali looked a touch flabby at 6ft 3 and 224Lbs in the Thrilla in Manilla. His 6ft 3 looked much better and he moved better at 212-215Lbs.

I think David Haye has an excellent physique and athleticism for a current heavyweight, even though he is not quite as tall as 6ft 4. Shame his chin and stamina seem suspect!

Comment

Cassius Clay... was the perfect speciman, any taller or heavier then becomes a disadvantage

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
            I think Lewis and the Klitschko's are good but I don't know if their body's are Prototypical at Heavyweight.
            They do know how to use that size to their advantage though.

But I agree, typically most HWs that size only look spectacular when they are getting knocked the hell out. Most fighters that tall look so clumsy and awkward.

6'2" 220 is a good size ideally. That's like prime Holyfield, but a little heavier.

Anything taller than 6'4" would be a disadvantage, so is being shorter than 6'0".

The best HWs in history hardly weighed over 225.

Comment

i would take the build of ike ibeabuchi.he was around 6'3 230 and agile.built like a tank.he seemed indestructible

Comment

Id take a build like fred fulton and use a crouching style.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
                  Id take a build like fred fulton and use a crouching style.
                  I always thought Fulton was a bit spindly for his height.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    I always thought Fulton was a bit spindly for his height.
                    the secret to a good boxing build is having everything on your frame with light weight legs and arms for speed.

fulton, fitzsimmons, even robinson were all a bit spindly.

Comment

Working...
                    X