No announcement yet.

Republican debate tonight @ 8

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
    I'm not sure whether people actually like Cruz or if he is just the most PC candidate that Republicans think can slick them back into office.
    I think a lot of people are pretty disgusted at the fecklessness of Republican leadership. Despite landslide elections in 2010 and 2014 to win back the House and Senate, McConnel, Boehner and now Ryan doing their very best to make Republicans the most useless opposition party in history. Cruz has a history of going after them. Trump, Carson and Fiorina together have had about half the support of Republican voters because they're outsiders. Cruz is the only one who's actually stood up to the Republican establishment, which is why from what I hear, Fox News has been attacking him incessantly.

Comment

• Originally posted by 0ne_Capitalist View Post
      You must not know Cruz. Cruz was Trumping it up in the Senate years before Trump was doing it.

He just wrote this about his own party: http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...o-obama-213448
      He does seem to have a similar message, I guess it's all in the delivery.

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
      I think a lot of people are pretty disgusted at the fecklessness of Republican leadership. Despite landslide elections in 2010 and 2014 to win back the House and Senate, McConnel, Boehner and now Ryan doing their very best to make Republicans the most useless opposition party in history. Cruz has a history of going after them. Trump, Carson and Fiorina together have had about half the support of Republican voters because they're outsiders. Cruz is the only one who's actually stood up to the Republican establishment, which is why from what I hear, Fox News has been attacking him incessantly.
      Which Republican voters are you referring to here?

Comment

He does seem to have a similar message, I guess it's all in the delivery.
        Yeah Trump has about a 4th grade level delivery. Reminds me of an old Tarzan movie. "Me Trump, you chump."

Which Republican voters are you referring to here?
        All of them, at least according to the polls.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Jeffries
          Um, all of them.
          My bad. I thought you were referring to within the party (British party politics overlap in my mind).

Basically, you're saying Republican party leadership have alienated their electoral support-base so the public is looking to outsiders for reform or an improved approach and that Cruz is seen as a semi-outsider (of the politicians) because he's been critical of the party leadership.

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
          Yeah Trump has about a 4th grade level delivery. Reminds me of an old Tarzan movie. "Me Trump, you chump."
          lol true, but he's good at grabbing headlines to get his message across and that's half the battle when rallying support (I'm not a Trump fan at all fwiw).
          Last edited by Weebler I; 12-19-2015, 01:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
            Sean Hannity has taken a liking to Cruz, but he just the other day on his radio show angrily and passionately laid out the case for all these establishment guys to win back the voters support. Basically saying that its them who have created Trump and Cruz's popularity from their own spineless absence to their elected duty in congress. And well he's right, and he went on to say this is an opportunity for them to stand up and say no more to Obama. To actually use the power of the purse, achieve redemption in the eyes of the voters.

But I say ****'m. There is no adapting for these kind of Rubio and Lindsey Graham types. They are completely out of touch and have no shot at winning the trust of the primary voters.

The establishment seriously hates Cruz though. For years they have. Absolutely hated him. Now they might be trying to prop him up, hoping he battles Trump long enough in the polls, and thus giving an opening for Bush, Rubio or maybe Christie to take him down. That only being the case if Trump self destructs. With his rise and poll numbers along with his adaptability, I don't see that happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekrat77 View Post
              The establishment seriously hates Cruz though. For years they have. Absolutely hated him. Now they might be trying to prop him up, hoping he battles Trump long enough in the polls, and thus giving an opening for Bush, Rubio or maybe Christie to take him down. That only being the case if Trump self destructs. With his rise and poll numbers along with his adaptability, I don't see that happening.
              What's the time-frame involved, when exactly is the Republican nomination for President made?
              Last edited by Weebler I; 12-19-2015, 01:57 AM.

Comment

This is one is correct...and one could write a whole paper on it. Why would you post this when this is exactly what the other poster was getting at...which is Democrat/Leftist policies and their unintended consequences on the poor.
                There were a total of six and this was the last one, did you read that section of the paper? I posted it because I'm not trying to win a debate, I'm trying to put information out there. Most of the paper is not about that last bullet point. It was a point I thought should be included but no means supersedes the findings of the whole paper? I think it would be kinda lame to only quotes sources that absolutely agree with me, because maybe I could be wrong sometimes.

Originally posted by 0ne_Capitalist View Post
                [B][COLOR="DarkRed"]
                Yes...but the problem isn't so much a lack of access to capital. Rather, the problem is barriers to entry...like having to start out by paying your workers a Government imposed minimum wage, instead of just paying them whatever the heck you want [or can afford] until your business grows. Just one of the many barriers.

See...if the starting point is that you have to have 1 million dollars to do X, Y, Z...majority of it being compliance costs, then the problem isn't lack of access to capital, the problem is all the Government created hurdles.
                Dunno Wikipedia as source material? I'm not sure if you're looking for a neat explanation for a lack of access to capital, which is real, but it isn't surprising that minorities aren't succeeding in disproportionate numbers. From my vantage point it's far simpler and smaller than government created hurdles. It's more about access to credit and loan refusals, pay particular attention to the graphs. I think they say a lot about how badly the deck is stacked: Access to Capital for Women- and Minority-owned
                Businesses: Revisiting Key Variables

One-Capppy's anecdotal observation. The vast majority of jobs in big cities are Fluff jobs. If you have no skills or aren't credentialed to your eyeballs...all you will get is the odd security job, restaurant job, call center or service sector fake job in general.

All the real goods producing jobs are outside of the cities. As a matter of fact, I was in Nashville just a while back and a few bums asked me for a dollar and I told them, that they're mass hiring at a manufacturing plant in Gallatin, Tn about 30 mins outside of nashville. The bum wasn't interested. Poor ppl with no skills have no business living in a big city where the cost of living is inflated in the first place. If they have access to the internet, they should be looking for labor jobs outside of cities, not in the cities. They can move just like anybody else, and go live in a cheaper town with lower rents and cost of living...as long as they're willing to leave behind the Big City social program tit which keeps them voting Democrat in every election. It's called free movement of labor and ppl.

We are all individuals and should take some self-responsibility, using our intelligence [if we have any] instead of playing the perpetual victim card
                To try to illustrate a point, between the years 2014- 2015 there were roughly 6,346,105 people in the state of Tennessee, and of that total population about 9,415 (see page 8) were homeless, and the reason for homeless run the gamut from plain old laziness to a more common cause mental illness and substance abuse. It isn't as sexy as trying to get homeless people can't get work. By the way, I'm a case manager and I work with the homeless and the formerly homeless. I've seen all kinds of people (that's what they are) in my office and each person comes with a story/narrative of why they arrived at that state. If only my job were easier and I could just suggest jobs to people and hope they take them instead looking at a constellation of factors that contributed to their situation. But see, that's where people like me come in, I do all the heavy lifting so armchair analysts and the like can tell people to get jobs.

It's super simple right? But what I'm talking about are the working poor and those frozen out of the system because of a lack of opportunity. There isn't a question of if they want to work or start a business, the question becomes will anyone give them the opportunity?

I agree about some people overplaying the victim card as well. Instead of it being the card of absolute last resort it has become an all too familiar go to strategy of the disgruntled perpetual victim, for even the most innocuous of issues. They can turn a perfectly reasonable situation into a pity party in seconds. I avoid people like that because they make my nuts itch.

Comment

My bad. I thought you were referring to within the party (British party politics overlap in my mind).

Basically, you're saying Republican party leadership have alienated their electoral support-base so the public is looking to outsiders for reform or an improved approach and that Cruz is seen as a semi-outsider (of the politicians) because he's been critical of the party leadership.
                  Exactly. Republican leadership have given their grass roots who fought so hard to make them relevant, absolutely nothing in terms of red meat. New boss same as the old boss. Cruz went on the Senate floor and called the Republican majority leader a liar, he's been fighting and exposing the establishment since he got there.

lol true, but he's good at grabbing headlines to get his message across and that's half the battle when rallying support (I'm not a Trump fan at all fwiw).
                  A Jeb Bush Super Pac pledged to spend 75 million to attack every top Republican candidate except for Trump, hoping that Bush and Trump will be the last 2 standing and Trump high unfavorable ratings will make it easy in the end. I'm sure Hillary is licking her chops at the prospect of a Trump opponent as well.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...mb-rivals.html

Comment

• I read the whole thing. A highlight for me, "Regarding the question of whether these credit scores are used in a discrimantory manner, a
                    recent study finds no evidence of disparate application of credit scores to women or minority business owners".

Another highlight was that minority business ownership has increased. The rest of it is just fluff. She didn't address the cost/ease of doing business, or the ability of the individuals to pay it back. Maybe she is in favor of guaranteed loans to minorities the way they do it with student loans...except this would be affirmative action for would-be minority business owners.

Comment

I read the whole thing. A highlight for me, "Regarding the question of whether these credit scores are used in a discrimantory manner, a
                      recent study finds no evidence of disparate application of credit scores to women or minority business owners".
                      Nice, from the same piece:

Minority small business owners are disproportionately denied credit when they apply for it even after controlling for other variables such as business credit scores, personal wealth, and revenues. These findings hold true particularly for black and Hispanic business owners. Evidence is mixed on disproportionate credit denials to non-minority women small business
                      owners and may vary based on data and year specifications.
                      They are being denied for a reason, and although there is "no hard data" pointing outright discrimination, the fact still remains business owners are "disproportionately denied credit." The scores are one factor, what are some of the other from the article, "fluff?"

Another highlight was that minority business ownership has increased. The rest of it is just fluff. She didn't address the cost/ease of doing business, or the ability of the individuals to pay it back. Maybe she is in favor of guaranteed loans to minorities the way they do it with student loans...except this would be affirmative action for would-be minority business owners.
                      Because she's talking about the real reasons why minorities are having trouble not an imaginary ones. While some of the factors you cite are a part of the equation, this piece is about the struggles business owners feel and encounter everyday. They may not be as large of focus to you, but then again, you are black trying to start a business. No one's talking affirmative action, they're talking about equal and fair consideration.

Comment

Working...
                      X