No announcement yet.

Cuban HOFer Ultiminio "Sugar" Ramos Dies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuban HOFer Ultiminio "Sugar" Ramos Dies

Former featherweight world champion, and HOFer, Ultiminio "Sugar" Ramos died yesterday, Sunday, September 3. He was 75.

"Sugar" was born in Cuba, and turned pro at age 16. He fought his early bouts on the island, but fled to Mexico after Castro took power. Ramos won the 126 lb title at the age of 21 in Los Angeles by 10th round KO over Davey Moore. Sadly, the victory would be better remembered for the unfortunate death of Moore after the fight. (The topic of a famous Bob Dylan song.) It was the second time an opponent died against Ultiminio. In 1958, Jose Blanco died after an eighth round KO.

After losing the featherweight title, Ramos notched a streak of wins and moved up to lightweight, challenging the champion and fellow HOFer Carlos Ortiz. The 5'4 1/2" Ramos was stopped on a cut in the fifth. He was KOed in four in the rematch. Ultiminio fought nine more times, going 5-3-1. He finished his career with a record of 55(40 KOs)-7-4.

"Sugar" made Mexico his home. Upon his death, WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman issued the following statement: "We will always remember Ultiminio as a great champion, but even more so, as a wonderful, friendly, genuine and kind man. A man of discerning style, always smart and elegant, often rakishly sporting a flamboyant hat, Ultiminio was adored by the people of his adopted country, certainly for his fighting spirit, but also for his unique character, chuckling sense of humor and his love of dancing and fun. He embraced the rhythm and the very essence of life. This is the saddest of losses, but the man with the big hands and the larger heart, leaves us with a wonderful legacy of joy and happiness."

Rest In Peace, Champ.

Very good fighter.

R.I.P

Comment

Tremendous champ

Comment

He was very good. He was an attacking type fighter with real power in both hands. I really enjoyed watching him fight. He threw lots of hard punches every round. I didn't know he was from Cuba.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
          He was very good. He was an attacking type fighter with real power in both hands. I really enjoyed watching him fight. He threw lots of hard punches every round. I didn't know he was from Cuba.
          Like one of your favorites, Jose Nápoles, "Sugar" left the island when Castro outlawed professional sports. Both men were well-received by their adoptive homeland and made Mexico their home.

Comment

Working...
          X