Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the point of Paulie commentating?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every UK broadcast I've heard typically sounds like a group of fanboys deluding themselves about the home fighter. Not surprised to hear the same here. At a certain point I just started ignoring it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      Most boxing commentators are horrible. I don't get how some of these guys get hired in the first place & how some have been in the business so long. I don't watch anything except combat sports so idk what other sports are doing, but watching the UFC you see Rogan & Goldie in the moment during every fight actually breaking down the fight & the action. In boxing that virtually never happens & you'll have guys talking about fights in the future that they wanna see or how this fight sucks for x, y or z reason or they are just talking about random boxing stories that have lil to nothing to do with the fight.

You could legit hire a couple reddit boxing RBR guys & get a better overall boxing experience that discusses what is happening & why thats important & what it means, etc & so on than most of these guys who have been phoning it in for a decade or longer. I'd fire these old crusty mfers so fast if I was running any boxing show.

All that said Paulie is a good one, Bernstein is the man, I grew up on O'Grady, Nelson & some of those other UK guys are very solid & on average I tend to view the UK teams as better cuz they can talk about the action & seem to have a genuine passion for the sport which is more than I can say for many of the US guys.
      Ranallo may be annoying sometimes, but he, Bernstein, and Paulie are easily the best commentating team. Most the time they are a real pleasure to listen to and make watching the fight better.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        Ranallo may be annoying sometimes, but he, Bernstein, and Paulie are easily the best commentating team. Most the time they are a real pleasure to listen to and make watching the fight better.
        I obviously would agree with this cuz Al heads this group & Paulie is the best fighter talking about boxing right now to me. I contend Ranallo is on this team just cuz of his ability to hype up moments that aren't skills Al or Paulie really have, but he gots too much of that wrestling vibe to him that smells of faux excitement often to always & comes off awkward to me.

Comment

Yeah, Paulie and Al Bernstein are currently the best. But Mauro Ranallo drags them down.

Roy Jones isn't bad. Hopkins is a little dry but does provide some insight.

Lampley is horrible these days.

Kellerman is passionate about the history of the sport but doesn't come across as knowing the nuts and bolts that well.

For some reason I actually liked Jim Watt. Hearing his voice made it seem like a fight was exciting and a big deal to the UK audience.

Comment

Paulie was the only one I was even listening to. He was accurate and seemed unbiased, giving good insights from a boxers point of view. He would talk about openings and mistakes be saw, and adjustments being made. The only thing of value I heard from Froch was when he said (in the 4th I think), that it looked like Brook had broken his orbital bone

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
              Paulie was the only one I was even listening to. He was accurate and seemed unbiased, giving good insights from a boxers point of view. He would talk about openings and mistakes be saw, and adjustments being made.The only thing of value I heard from Froch was when he said (in the 4th I think), that it looked like Brook had broken his orbital bone
              That was Paulie, not Froch.

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
                That was Paulie, not Froch.
                Oh, ok. I stand corrected. Another point for Paulie then for good diagnosis

Comment

Working...
                X