Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defensive Technique - THE 'SHELL' ... good or bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive Technique - THE 'SHELL' ... good or bad?

im curious to hear everyones opinion on this defensive style... u can see fighters like winky wright use it... its when ur elbows are very tight blocking the ribs and hands very tight covering your entire fease and temples....

i personally use this defensive style a lottt in the ring, and sometimes it works well for me, and other times people can really take advantage of it...

so what do you guys think of it???
    do u use it? do u like when u spar or fight someone who does this?
    and why why why, please be detailed with your answers!!!

the shell...
    good or bad?

Since amateur is about scoring points, it's good but, limits your offense.

Comment

I dont like it because it restricts your vision so much and I hate not seeing where punches are coming from.

Having said that though I use it quite a lot especially when Im on the defensive.

Comment

it's a very effective defense, atlest for me when i'm sparring. But like everyone says it limits your offense.

Comment

I use a high guard. It is effective but as others said - your offense is limited and you can't parry punches etc, or counter well.

Comment

i love sparring guys who like to cover up! you think your covered but the side of your head isnt and alot of the time its when its easiest to land my liver shot

Comment

the shell is good for someone who is strong who is trying to bully their opponent and has a strong body. with your guard so high, it will make you a target for body shots, but on the otherhand you will know the body shot is coming and if you are fast enough can land a nice counter on the side of the head. I also like using the shell, but i do mix it up. on the outside, use more of the philly shell, but in close use the shell and try to do some nice in fighting

Comment

Originally posted by Chip2006uk View Post
                I dont like it because it restricts your vision so much and I hate not seeing where punches are coming from.

Having said that though I use it quite a lot especially when Im on the defensive.
                Funny I see more with this defense, as opposed to the hands up cover.

I feel comfortable using this defense and I feel I can use my foot work more (just habits), I however catch punches alot with my right glove. Yes it really limits your offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearless View Post
                  Funny I see more with this defense, as opposed to the hands up cover.

I feel comfortable using this defense and I feel I can use my foot work more (just habits), I however catch punches alot with my right glove. Yes it really limits your offense.
                  Im the exact opposite, whenever I use that defence my footwork becomes much more static, I almost feel like a statue lol.

Comment

its hard to counter with that style

Comment

Working...
                    X