Collapse
No announcement yet.

Becoming a legend vs Becoming rich...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I laugh at those who say anything other than "I would take the money". It is called lieing to yourselves.

The question here is not "would you take more money if it meant you had to kill children in front ot their moms?"

The question is "would you take more money if it meant not fighting who a crowd of screaming couch potatoes would want you to fight?"

Just don't be ridiculous.

Comment

If was the boxer then I would definitely want the money. Look at guys like benitez hes a legend but I'm pretty sure he dirt poor with health problems.

Comment

If you become a legend.. the money will follow.
        so a legend.

Comment

Originally posted by RicDaRula View Post
          Boxing, we all know it's a sport....and we all know it's a business...what's more important for you? legendary status or becoming rich??? if you answer that question to yourself that might tell you why most of the fighters out there don't fight the best but take **** fights instead...money makes the world go round...so don't fool yourselves....money can't buy you happiness or love ...but it sure does help....

Your thoughts???
          you can do both

Comment

if i had the skills i'd try to become a legend

Comment

Originally posted by B-Ron View Post
              Well if you are a legend you are probably wealthy to begin with. If I had to choose between being wealthy and a legend vs just a super rich fighter that ducked a lot I would take the legend. Yes, money is great but if your decently off I would then try to focus on being the best at what I do instead of just focusing strictly about money. For example I respect Floyd for what hes done in the sport but he was in it for money over legacy. I don't hate on a man if hes out there for money but theres a reason why Cotto is my favorite. The man is wealthy but is still out there trying to fight the best and become a legend. If you arent hurting for money I take legacy all day. I actually think its a sign of a true man, seeing how far you will dig in just to be remembered forever. Money goes, legends never die.
              Agreed, most of these poor legends ended up poor due to terrible financial decisions. They were boxers not investors and it showed. That is exactly why I have always liked SSM. He fought 2 guys nobody wanted to in Wright and Forrest, neither one is a huge money maker.

Comment

When you're young, it's easy to be idealistic and to dream big. The older you get the more you realize the cold hard truth: you need money. If you don't fight for money, then I don't think you're being very smart. You're risking your life in the ring.

There's people that mentioned Joe Louis, a very good example. Here's a true American hero who volunteered to be in the armed forces because he was a patriot. He donated entire purses from fights and donated them to causes he believed in. He fought in exhibitions and provided morale for troops. And yet the US Govt went after him for back taxes that just kept accumulating when they could have easily given him a pass. The man ended up broke being a greeter in Vegas, earning regular joe wages towards the end of his life when in reality he should have been retired enjoying his final years.

Everybody can rattle off names of good-to-great fighters who never got a big break (or caught a tough break). Being a broke legend just turns you into a freak show.

Floyd is one boxer who is more the exception than the rule. He had the opportunity to be mega rich and be a true legend (as in a real warrior who doesn't duck anybody, somebody who risked it all to be the greatest). But, for his own reasons, he made the choices he made. He still has adoring fans and he seems to enjoy his money. Hey, he stepped into the ring, not me, so I tip my hat off to him for making dough. But whether I like him or not as a fighter is a different story. And only Floyd will know if what the fans think of him bothers him or not. (I suspect he doesn't.)

I forget who said this, but somebody once said something like, "In business, you don't get what you deserve. You get what you negotiate." Legendary status doesn't necessarily pay the rent.

Comment

Originally posted by RicDaRula View Post
                  Boxing, we all know it's a sport....and we all know it's a business...what's more important for you? legendary status or becoming rich??? if you answer that question to yourself that might tell you why most of the fighters out there don't fight the best but take **** fights instead...money makes the world go round...so don't fool yourselves....money can't buy you happiness or love ...but it sure does help....

Your thoughts???
                  Money.....is first.

These boxers have families and friends to feed...for genrations...they need to make all the money they can.

You think Margarito misses his 2 million dollars he lost out by fighting Mosley.

Comment

Many of you make great points....I like the folks who say become a legend and the money will follow...that to me seems to be the best way to go about getting rich now a days...now this wouldn't apply to the old school fighters cuz back in their day the big money wasn't there...you add that to the fact that they had bad people making bad decision with their money...and well anyone can go broke going that rout...

Comment

Working...
                    X