No announcement yet.

OT: Buying Water Flooded CAR??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Buying Water Flooded CAR??

Any one here have experience with a flooded car. Hurricane sandy flood. I've never ever bought a salvage/flooded title car before, but looking at a few at an auction. What are the pros and cons? anyone actually ever bought one and what was your experience with them. I'm looking at CLS, S-550, GL 450, Range Rover. Anyone currently own or have owned any of the above vehicle who can give me advice would be appreciated.

Never buy a car that was underwater

Comment

Nope dont buy one. NEVER.

If you want to look cool for a hot minute then go ahead and purchase a car you can never afford then do it but you are just throwing the money away.

Comment

Gotta agree with the other posts. Only heard of terrible experiences with buying cars with water damage.

Comment

If you are a very good mechanic and have appropriate set of tools, troubleshooting equipment, and time; a water damaged car can be a good deal. However, the cars your talking about are expensive to repair cause parts are expensive. A more common GM, Dodge, or Ford would be a better bet. If I got a fantastic deal I would buy a car with water damage, but my electrical skills are excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by danightmare7 View Post
            Any one here have experience with a flooded car. Hurricane sandy flood. I've never ever bought a salvage/flooded title car before, but looking at a few at an auction. What are the pros and cons? anyone actually ever bought one and what was your experience with them. I'm looking at CLS, S-550, GL 450, Range Rover. Anyone currently own or have owned any of the above vehicle who can give me advice would be appreciated.
            I can tell you a little bit. I had a new car which I ran through a dip in the road full of water. The flood came in to my car. The carpets were sodden.

I was in a country where skilled help was hard to find and even then, it wasn't really skilled. I decided to take up the carpet myself, which I did. It was the worst and messiest job I could have hd, the carpet was hanging in waves in the car for many weeks and the floor rusted badly. When it finally dried out, it proved difficult to restore the carpet in place. It was easy to take up (comparatively) but needed an interior expert to out back, so it was always untidy afterwards. The seats really needed to have been taken out, and all the stripping removed, plus the adhesive in the underlay stuck immovably to the floor of the car, making the drying out period interminable ........That's as much as I can tell you.

An expensive car was ruined......

Comment

Originally posted by danightmare7 View Post
              They are cheap for a reason. It will likely end up being so difficult to troubleshoot all the electrical issues and/or the parts will be so expensive to get it running again, that you will end up trying to cut your losses and dump it off somewhere.

Comment

yeah i suppose your right just wanted to see if anyone had experience or information. if anyone else has more info, i would appreciate all that i can read

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                  They are cheap for a reason. It will likely end up being so difficult to troubleshoot all the electrical issues and/or the parts will be so expensive to get it running again, that you will end up trying to cut your losses and dump it off somewhere.
                  not really if the rust is manageable for like 7 grand you can get the car fully restore so a 60 grand car might make sense, but the problem at auction is its AS IS,

Comment

I worked as a tech for a few years. I would never buy a water damaged car unless you're willing to replace harnesses and electronic components and then deal with the body work. Honestly don't buy a car you can't afford new parts for, it always ends in debt and/or disaster.

The reason why the car has a salvage title is because the insurance company calculated the cost of repairing the vehicle and it was a high enough figure that it wasn't worth fixing. So they cut a cheque for the owner (cheaper) and sent the car off to a salvage auction.

Comment

Working...
                    X