Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people think it will be hard to make Matthysee vs Rios/Pacquiao?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people think it will be hard to make Matthysee vs Rios/Pacquiao?

I understand the GBP vs Top Rank beef, but the truth is these fights should be very easy to make.

First of all, Matthyssee makes peanuts over at GBP. He made 125k for the Soto fight and tbh I don't think he has ever made of 300k for a fight (atleast that I can remember).

So money wouldn't be an issue, and I there wouldn't be any issues of either of the fighters being reluctant to get in the ring with each other.

I really don't see why Top Rank wouldn't just buy out his ****ty GBP contract and make those fights happen.

FWIW Top Rank is notorious for trying to buy out the other promoter to make fights such as the case with their attempts to do so with Sergio in order to make a Cotto fight.

Also GBP has stated that they are willing to step aside to let their fighters get the fights they want (ala Mosley and Marquez to get Pacquiao fights).

I can see a scenario in which Top Rank pays GBP set aside money, gives Matthyssee a 400-500k payday, and promotes the fight solo in order to make Rios vs Matthysse or Pacquiao vs Matthysse.

Comment

good fights, but they wont make them happen. its about how much money they can make not how good the fights are now adays, what you saw yesterday (rios/alvarado) was something rare.

Comment

Easier said than Done, If only it was that easy; I'd like to see Rios vs Danny Garcia IF he beats Morales!

Comment

Starting to think Rios vs Alvarado was set into motion long ago to set up Pac/Rios in April.... wouldn't be surprised now if it happens

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
            Starting to think Rios vs Alvarado was set into motion long ago to set up Pac/Rios in April.... wouldn't be surprised now if it happens
            Pac-Rios would only not happen if Pac loses to JMM, Even if he loses am sure Pac would still fight Rios in 2013..

Comment

Originally posted by bigsmoothh View Post
              good fights, but they wont make them happen. its about how much money they can make not how good the fights are now adays, what you saw yesterday (rios/alvarado) was something rare.
              Yeah but do you realize how little Matthyssee actually makes for his fights?

I doubt Rios makes much either, and that means there wouldn't be huge purse but big ratings for those fights.

Comment

Matthysse is a popular fighter on here, but lets be real. Why would Arum throw Rios or even Pacquiao into a high risk/zero reward fight when he can just skip the risk and make an in-house fight that will appeal to a huge audience, do big numbers and give Rios the highest payday of his career?

Matthysse vs. Rios/Pacquiao makes no business sense whatsoever from Top Rank's perspective. Pacquiao vs. Rios does bigger numbers than Matthysse vs. either and Arum wins either way.

The only non-inhouse fights that makes sense for Arum are Mayweather or Cotto vs. Pacquiao.

The lack of incentive for Arum to make these fights will make them extremely difficult to make.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                  Matthysse is a popular fighter on here, but lets be real. Why would Arum throw Rios or even Pacquiao into a high risk/zero reward fight when he can just skip the risk and make an in-house fight that will appeal to a huge audience, do big numbers and give Rios the highest payday of his career?

Matthysse vs. Rios/Pacquiao makes no business sense whatsoever from Top Rank's perspective. Pacquiao vs. Rios does bigger numbers than Matthysse vs. either and Arum wins either way.

The only non-inhouse fights that makes sense for Arum are Mayweather or Cotto vs. Pacquiao.

The lack of incentive for Arum to make these fights will make them extremely difficult to make.
                  It makes more business sense than Pac vs Clottey/Margarito... Margarito was considered the plaster man and hadn't won a significant bout in several years.
                  Clottey has never had a fan base whatsoever and was coming off a loss if I'm not mistaken.

Pac vs Mathysse beats a lot of things that I've seen Top Rank do in the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                    It makes more business sense than Pac vs Clottey/Margarito... Margarito was considered the plaster man and hadn't won a significant bout in several years.
                    Clottey has never had a fan base whatsoever and was coming off a loss if I'm not mistaken.

Pac vs Mathysse beats a lot of things that I've seen Top Rank do in the last few years.
                    Arum kept 100% of the revenue and was lead promoter in making Pac/Clottey and Pac/Margarito.

If he makes Pac vs. Matthysse, he would have to pay GBP a go away fee or co-promote the event and share the revenue. Why do that when he can make Pac/Rios, which will do better numbers than Pac/Matthysse, and still allow him to be lead promoter and keep all revenues in-house?

And on top of that, it's a high risk fight. If Matthysse wins, Arum's cash cow takes and L and he receives no benefit of Matthysse's future success. Its like Matthysse would have Pacquiao's name to launch his career but Arum won't benefit from it.

The only way Arum will work with GBP if there is an incentive for him to do it.
                    Last edited by -PBP-; 10-15-2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X