No announcement yet.

Trivia Anyone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldgringo
    I'll take a stab at your question Yogi...although I don't know if it's right...

Was it the flyweight champ Yuri Arbachkov(sp?) He made several defenses of the WBC flyweight title and lost it to Sasakul, who Manny Pacquiao later knocked out.

Hey Yogi just for a bonus on that longest fight ever question...do you remember how much the purse was?
    Good try, Gringo, but it was Louis 'Kid' Kaplan who was reportedly the first ever Russian born world champion, and sorry I wouldn't have any idea what the purse was for the Bowen/Burke fight...The little tidbit on that fight in Harry Mullan's book, which is where I got the info from, only says;

"Longest Fight
    110 rounds (7 hours 19 minutes) Andy Bowen drew with Jack Burke, New Orleans, April 6, 1893"

That's all it says.

Comment

7 hours and 19 minutes? Even if fought at a snail's pace (I don't believe that it was), that would be hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
        Good try, Gringo, but it was Louis 'Kid' Kaplan who was reportedly the first ever Russian born world champion, and sorry I wouldn't have any idea what the purse was for the Bowen/Burke fight...The little tidbit on that fight in Harry Mullan's book, which is where I got the info from, only says;

"Longest Fight
        110 rounds (7 hours 19 minutes) Andy Bowen drew with Jack Burke, New Orleans, April 6, 1893"

That's all it says.
        hey yogi, did you go to this thread for the day?

NBA Playoffs + Boxing =

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin'
          I've never actually heard him give his own opinion. He just regurgitates facts over and over.
          I probably don't do it as much in recent times (at least on here...still do so elsewhere), but I used to give/post my own personal opinions in pretty much every post I used to type out on here...Nowadays though, the VAST majority of discussions are on heavyweights (mainly mythical matchups, ratings, and such) and normally I can't be too bothered going down that road yet again for the umpteenth time.

P.S. I am very much looking forward to Brass' middleweight tournament whenever that gets up and running, as there will likely be some fresh topics/matchups to discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
            7 hours and 19 minutes? Even if fought at a snail's pace (I don't believe that it was), that would be hell.
            That's something, hey?

****, even though many of the old bareknuckle fights are noteworthy for their lengthy durations , that Bowen/Burke fight still has any of those bareknuckle matches beat as far as total time goes by over an hour (James Kelly/Jack Smith, Oct 19th, 1856...6 hrs, 15 min)

Comment

Hey Yogi do u know who won taht bought or was it a draw?

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMarcianofan00
                Hey Yogi do u know who won taht bought or was it a draw?
                The Bowen/Burke fight was a draw, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
                  hey yogi, did you go to this thread for the day?

NBA Playoffs + Boxing =
                  well, have you?

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
                    well, have you?
                    I haven't really been following that thread since you started it, Butterfly, so no...I haven't looked at it today.

Comment

LOL, sorry butterfly. I looked at it and it's REALLY poorly written. Plus, I'd rather someone talk about a mythical matchup that is actually qualified to do so.

Comment

Working...
                      X