Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain Brexit and it's effect on Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scaremongering in full effect.

Comment

Boxing's small hall shows and promoters may well be affected by European fighters travelling to box in the UK, or more importantly, being needed at late notice as replacements. Since January 2016, 515 overseas boxers have fought in the UK on professional cards. There has been a steady increase of the last five years. "It may affect the time allocation with visas for European fighters, which was previously not the case," Robert Smith, General Secretary of the British Boxing Board, told The Telegraph. "Small hall promoters use a lot of European fighters on their cards, some as late replacements, and it will now depend on how the Home Office legislate this."

Gareth A Davies
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/201...-sport/boxing/

Comment

We can produce more Boxers at a grassroot/amateur level and the Boxers that don't make it to Olympics can turn pro. We can increase the talent pool in the United Kingdom.

A European boxer can apply for a work visa just like any other member of the Human Race.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
          We can produce more Boxers at a grassroot/amateur level and the Boxers that don't make it to Olympics can turn pro. We can increase the talent pool in the United Kingdom.

A European boxer can apply for a work visa just like any other member of the Human Race.
          I'm not for it or against it. I just wanted to know if it would have a major impact. So far it seems like the biggest effect will be for smaller promoters. Ones who are used to brining in fighters on short notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
            I'm not for it or against it. I just wanted to know if it would have a major impact. So far it seems like the biggest effect will be for smaller promoters. Ones who are used to brining in fighters on short notice.
            No please don't take it like I'm attacking you. I tried to green K your original post before I even replied but I'm maxed out on you, needs to be spread around.

I don't intend to sound vulgar against small time promoters and European Boxers but when Gareth A Davis says promoters used to bringing in last minute replacements from Europe; What he really means is bringing in the cheapest labour, tending to come from the Slavic and East bloc of Europe. British Boxers don't want to get bashed in the head at the last minute and take home next to nothing.

We're going to see more importance placed on regional titles such as area belts and we'll also see bigger names fight for the British belt. Assuming we stop fighting for European belts.
            Last edited by REMOVE SHARK 55; 06-25-2016, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ianjamsie View Post
              Actually recovery in the pound and the markets here was pretty quick.

The drop by close wasn't too bad.

Pound to the Euro was actually up on what it was for the Martin fight.

All scary bull poo.
              Credit rating outlook deteriorating, pound at lowest level for 20 years, 120 billion wiped off share prices - yeah, it's all good

From an economic perspective, Brexit was a terrible outcome

Comment

Working...
              X