Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone smell another retirement coming?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did find it interesting in the post fight interview when gray asked Floyd if this was his final fight.. Floyd pretty much gave me the impression that if his PPv numbers stay good fighting decent guys like Maidana and ghost, then he will continue, but if fans stopped buying and his PPv numbers dip, then he would stop..

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      This Maidana fight had the same vibe as Roy-tarver 1.. Floyd did a lot better down the stretch than Roy did, but the similarities, especially the going back to the ropes too often.. That's usually a sign that a fighter has aged and legs can't move for 12 rounds. Toney as well started doing it around 2005.
      I get the same vibe 100%.

And when should Roy have retired.

I look at Floyd now and I don't see Floyd Mayweather anymore.

Comment

I don't think he will retire because he still has 3 fights left on his contract.

Also, the dynamics are different now to what they were when Floyd first retired. Floyd didn't have the reputation for avoiding fighters that he now has. Back in late 2007 he thought he'd just slip out of the game until Williams, and perhaps 1 or 2 others, vanished from the division and then he'd come back without anyone figuring it out. Unfortunately (for him), that's not the way things transpired. For one, people did figure it out, and, secondly and more importantly, other threats came along to fill the void (Pacquiao, Martinez, etc.). If Floyd wanted to return to the ring he would either have to fight the threats or avoid them and accept the reputation that comes along with that. He chose the latter. Put succintly, he is perfectly comfortable avoiding fighters in plain view of anyone nowadays. The fact that Porter or some other threat might be pushing for a fight won't phase him.

That does, however, invite the question 'who will be his remaining 3 opponents?' I believe the main candidates are Khan, Alexander, Thurman, Broner, and Garcia.

Comment

Originally posted by Renal Colic View Post
          I don't think he will retire because he still has 3 fights left on his contract.

Also, the dynamics are different now to what they were when Floyd first retired. Floyd didn't have the reputation for avoiding fighters that he now has. Back in late 2007 he thought he'd just slip out of the game until Williams, and perhaps 1 or 2 others, vanished from the division and then he'd come back without anyone figuring it out. Unfortunately (for him), that's not the way things transpired. For one, people did figure it out, and, secondly and more importantly, other threats came along to fill the void (Pacquiao, Martinez, etc.). If Floyd wanted to return to the ring he would either have to fight the threats or avoid them and accept the reputation that comes along with that. He chose the latter. Put succintly, he is perfectly comfortable avoiding fighters in plain view of anyone nowadays. The fact that Porter or some other threat might be pushing for a fight won't phase him.

That does, however, invite the question 'who will be his remaining 3 opponents?' I believe the main candidates are Khan, Alexander, Thurman, Broner, and Garcia.
          Floyd has an opt-out clause in his contract with Showtime

Comment

Too old to retire and comeback now, he's going to make $50 million for the rematch.

Probably going to make Maidana wear winning gloves and have his dad ref the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              His reflexes aren't exceptionally fast. Maidana was hitting him with a jab at range.

His reflexes are sharp in spots. They are also quite alarmingly slow in spots.

His accuracy is drastically lower, his speed gets slower every single fight.

He's declining rapidly in every single area other than chin.
              Just shows that you know **** all about reflexes.

Once they're gone they're gone yet you say he was sharp in spots, obviously showing your absolute lack of intelligence.

Reflexes are nerves and brain coordination, you can't just magically be sharp then not in the same fight you idiot.

Comment

Floyd's not at his physical peak anymore (and obviously hasn't been for some time) but he's still the best boxer in the sport hands down. Just because he had a tough outing with a tough and awkward opponent doesn't change that fact. All this talk about "Floyd needing to retire" reminds me of the post-Cotto talk. Floyd then schooled the Ghost and Canelo and it was all but forgotten. Floyd needs to rematch Chino then meet up with Thurman/Porter next year. About time he's now earning those ridiculous paychecks.

Comment

Even if he does, I think the way he spends money will mean he has to come back. Unless I am misinformed, Floyd doesn't have a steady (and significant) income stream outside of boxing right?? So if he wants to maintain the lifestyle he has been living he will have to continue fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtiz View Post
                    Just shows that you know **** all about reflexes.

Once they're gone they're gone yet you say he was sharp in spots, obviously showing your absolute lack of intelligence.

Reflexes are nerves and brain coordination, you can't just magically be sharp then not in the same fight you idiot.
                    Look dude Floyd is washed up, I know it's hard to accept but it happens, especially at near 40 years old.

I'm a big Pac fan but I had to accept that he too is washed up.

It happens dude.

Just warning you before he gets Roy Jones Jr'd.

Comment

Working...
                    X