No announcement yet.

which fight was joe louis best win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
    Did Joe Louis not have enormous pressure on him to win? Schmeling was afraid of the guy he had dismantled, but that same guy was not afraid of his conqueror?

That fight, regardless of the state of the opponent, is Joe Louis putting on one of history's most ferocious displays in one of history's biggest fights. If you wanted to introduce someone to Joe Louis.....you wouldn't choose this fight?

I'm not taking anything away from Joe Louis, he simply handled the pressure better than Schmelling. History is full of occasions where one fighter does a demolition job on a guy who simply froze.

Louis's combination work was very nice. But he would have looked just as good on a heavy bag or a wall to ceiling ball. Schmelling offered no circling, ducking, head movement, barely any blocking or even so much as one attempted counter when he went to the ropes.....even before the alleged shot which caused the back pain.

As for your question regarding introducing Joe Louis to someone. Yea, I'd show them Schmelling 2 (amongst others such as Baer, Carnera, Sharkey, Braddock, Conn, Galento, Simon 2 or Walcott 2). But I'd expect anyone who had previously watched Schmelling 1 to say 'What the hell happened to Max? Why isn't he attempting to throw anything back, or at the very least survive?!'.

If the Schmelling from fight 1 turned up, there is no way that we'd have seen a 1 round demolition job. Louis would have surely won, but not in the manner that he did.

Comment

my bius opinion would be ezzard charles even tho it was after he killed someone in ring and lost his edge

Comment

Originally posted by NatiKid View Post
        my bius opinion would be ezzard charles even tho it was after he killed someone in ring and lost his edge
        Ezzard Charles beat Joe Louis

Comment

Originally posted by NatiKid View Post
          The thread is about Joe Louis's best win, not the best opponent he faced. Ezzard Charles outpointed an old Joe Louis.

Comment

SugarJ....

How does the Louis who beat Schmeling do against the Louis who beat Walcott?

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
              That was arguably his best win, it was certainly his most important win, due to the international political bragging rights at stake. Louis' 13th. round KO of Billy Conn is also a high profile win after trailing the previous 12 rounds.
              That's the fight that first came to my mind. He was in trouble that night and did what he needed to do regain the title.

"You got a fight tonight, Joe."
              "I knows it."
              -exchange between Billy Conn and Joe Louis

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                SugarJ....

How does the Louis who beat Schmeling do against the Louis who beat Walcott?

The Louis who beat Schmelling probably wins a late stoppage over the Louis who met Walcott.

The title of the thread is 'Which fight was Joe Louis's best win?' As I feel that the Walcott who met Louis was far superior to even the best version of Schmelling in history.....then it figures that it is a better win.

The thread was not 'In which fight was Louis most prime?' or 'In which fight did Louis look most unbeatable'.

But for fun in return I'll pose you a question too. Who wins in a match between 1948 Walcott and 1938 Schmelling?

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  The Louis who beat Schmelling probably wins a late stoppage over the Louis who met Walcott.

The title of the thread is 'Which fight was Joe Louis's best win?' As I feel that the Walcott who met Louis was far superior to even the best version of Schmelling in history.....then it figures that it is a better win.

The thread was not 'In which fight was Louis most prime?' or 'In which fight did Louis look most unbeatable'.

But for fun in return I'll pose you a question too. Who wins in a match between 1948 Walcott and 1938 Schmelling?
                  The thread is not "what fighter was at their best when Louis beat them", either.

Louis demolished Schmeling in what was the biggest and most important fight of his, and just about every other fighter's, career. He did not have to get up off his ass and come from behind to do so. The importance of the match and the performance itself trump Walcott being a more difficult foe.....IMO.

I don't know if Walcott was that much better than the Schmeling who lost to Louis because Louis was an infintely better and primed fighter the night he smoked Schmeling. If I had to pick who'd have won between the two I'd give it to Walcott.

Comment

His demolition of Max Baer ... simply because it is a little overlooked these days ... destroying Baer >>> destroying Schmelling from a straight what was the better win stand point (ignoring the political stuff)

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
                      His demolition of Max Baer ... simply because it is a little overlooked these days ... destroying Baer >>> destroying Schmelling from a straight what was the better win stand point (ignoring the political stuff)
                      More to it than political stuff. Schmeling had completely destroyed a Louis who was thought to be invincible....

Comment

Working...
                      X