Gloves: Reyes v Grant training gloves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    I agree with Bullrush. If you can't take the punches, go play chess. As far as Grant vs. Reyes goes, buy both and you'll see the difference in quality and craftsmanship- Reyes wins.
    Quality is actually pretty similar. I bet you have never had grants before. Reyes are cut terribly. The fight gloves are great but the sparring gloves are ****.

Here is some awesome reyes quality for you. Used on the bags for maybe a total of 6 rounds and used in sparring 2 or 3 times.

I got both Grant and Reyes bag gloves, pro fight gloves and sparring gloves. I do have to say that the Grant Pro have a great wrist strap but I don't like that there is no inner lining like Reyes. Sparring gloves, both Reyes and Grant have great wrist support. I got the pro fight floves from pro fighters as gifts and use to use them for mitt work but I got some of them autograph and no longer use them. I own more boxing gear that you can imagine. Some day, I'll have my own gym, so STFU! I've been around boxing for a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
      I got both Grant and Reyes bag gloves, pro fight gloves and sparring gloves. I do have to say that the Grant Pro have a great wrist strap but I don't like that there is no inner lining like Reyes.
      grants don't come with a wrist strap, lace ups only, so I'm a little confused at what you mean here.

Also, every pair of Grants I have has a canvas liner.
      The 2 pairs of Reyes I owned back in 05 didn't really have a liner - just cross hatched cotton weave that actually seemed part of the padding.

I own more boxing gear that you can imagine. Some day, I'll have my own gym, so STFU! I've been around boxing for a very long time.
      what? are you like 10 years old or something?

I agree with everything the other guys have said on this thread in regards to Reyes being cut terribly and Grants fitting much better.

Comment

you ruin your own credibility when you make up fairy tales about how your grant gloves survived world war 2 yet the reyes that you bought fell apart while you tried to put them on for the first time

@FM30
        find some guys in your gym that own reyes or grant gloves, maybe ask them if you can put them on and see how they feel and so forth. asking people on a message board usually is a waste of time because you always have these kids that make up stories about how the brand they own (they usually claim they own both brands) is the best thing in the world since sliced bread and the other brand is pure crap. you gotta decide for yourself if you wanna believe these stories

Comment

I'd say the craftsmanship on the Reyes are better, but for my hands, the Grants sparring gloves were better.

Kinda off topic, but the best craftsmanship, ergonomics, attention to detail, it hands down goes to the Japanese made Winning boxing gloves. But, since we're talkin' sparring here, you can't go wrong with Cleto's or Grants, I feel the punches the most when someone is using the Cleto's or Grants.

Comment

i have a pair of 30$ pro style training gloves from everlast

they're 12oz but they look and feel like an 8 oz fight glove...

Comment

Originally posted by thatjamaicanguy View Post
              i have a pair of 30$ pro style training gloves from everlast

they're 12oz but they look and feel like an 8 oz fight glove...
              lmao same here i have a pair of those in blue but they are good training/bag gloves but for sparring they told me im not going to be able to use them because they i think they have some extra padding or foam or some ****, theyre harder to be hit with, so i invested in some everlast training gloves, the old style ones not the new ones you see on the website but these ones and trust me bro these are excellent, and worth the 90bucks youll pay for them, im sure the new style ones are the exact same... The gloves in the pic are the old style pro fight glove not the training gloves that i have, but they look relatively the exact same almost... You cant really find these online anymore but I bought them from a guy i know who owns a fighting sports store and he had a few brand new pairs that just never sold, so i got one in red 12 oz. for like 60 bucks, and it is the best 60 dollars ive spent on boxing equipment period. Ive been using them on the bags sometimes and hitting the mitts sometimes, and they stay in great shape, havent scuffed not even a tiny bit, no cracks like in that picture the one dude posted, and theyre almost fully broken in, comfortable as hell... However im going to keep usin the everlast 30 dollar gloves for hitting bags/mitts cuz i just want to use the pro training strictly for sparring, easier to **** them up on the bags and mitts... I cant wait to spar with them though!

Comment

Originally posted by I'd rather box View Post
                I'd say the craftsmanship on the Reyes are better, but for my hands, the Grants sparring gloves were better.
                The funny thing is i think Grants are made at the Reyes factory these days.
                Ringside is the sole official distributor for Reyes in the US, they also run the Grant website behind the scenes and fill all the orders.
                The first 2 pairs of Grants I bought in 06 had way different leather than the 2 pairs of Reyes I bought in 05.
                The pair of Grants I bought last year had leather that was much more in the style of the Reyes gloves than the glossy leather that the earlier Grants had.
                Even the cut on the new gloves was a little different (thumb issues had been addressed).
                Compared to the older Grant gloves from 06 (not the original Grants pre-boxerman logo) the newer Grants are like a Reyes-hybrid.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullrush View Post
                  you ruin your own credibility when you make up fairy tales about how your grant gloves survived world war 2 yet the reyes that you bought fell apart while you tried to put them on for the first time

@FM30
                  find some guys in your gym that own reyes or grant gloves, maybe ask them if you can put them on and see how they feel and so forth. asking people on a message board usually is a waste of time because you always have these kids that make up stories about how the brand they own (they usually claim they own both brands) is the best thing in the world since sliced bread and the other brand is pure crap. you gotta decide for yourself if you wanna believe these stories
                  aren't you the guy that swore that pro boxers don't use winning gear and that it was comparable to $50 gear?

Comment

Originally posted by Pork Chop View Post
                    The funny thing is i think Grants are made at the Reyes factory these days.
                    Ringside is the sole official distributor for Reyes in the US, they also run the Grant website behind the scenes and fill all the orders.
                    The first 2 pairs of Grants I bought in 06 had way different leather than the 2 pairs of Reyes I bought in 05.
                    The pair of Grants I bought last year had leather that was much more in the style of the Reyes gloves than the glossy leather that the earlier Grants had.
                    Even the cut on the new gloves was a little different (thumb issues had been addressed).
                    Compared to the older Grant gloves from 06 (not the original Grants pre-boxerman logo) the newer Grants are like a Reyes-hybrid.
                    I have the old glossy ones, I think the gloves the I got, and I don't know if Grants all came out like that, but, I felt they did a sloppy job on the glove, but the feel and comfort was great. I'm kind of tempted to buy the new ones just to compare.

I haven't worn Cleto's in a long while, we're talking years. The funny thing is, I've only worn Cleto's 8oz for sparring because I was getting ready for my first fight under full Muay Thai rules !! my coach wanted me to get an idea what it would be like to get hit with the 8oz'ers.

Comment

Originally posted by I'd rather box View Post
                      I have the old glossy ones, I think the gloves the I got, and I don't know if Grants all came out like that, but, I felt they did a sloppy job on the glove, but the feel and comfort was great. I'm kind of tempted to buy the new ones just to compare.

I haven't worn Cleto's in a long while, we're talking years. The funny thing is, I've only worn Cleto's 8oz for sparring because I was getting ready for my first fight under full Muay Thai rules !! my coach wanted me to get an idea what it would be like to get hit with the 8oz'ers.
                      I agree with you that some of the glossy grants could be a little sloppy, but i thought that was a good sign that they were actually hand-made instead of machine mass produced.

you're sparring story's extra insane considering most muay thai gyms I've been to don't even spar with headgear (though not usually full contact). I don't think using smaller gloves for sparring is a bad idea. I know I tripped out when i went from 22oz Title training gloves to 10oz fight gloves. Guess you could do it the Mexican way: small gloves, but huge headgear.

Comment

Working...
                      X