Flaws of Spence

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flaws of Spence

What flaws do you see in Spence?

he's a hooker. lacks handspeed and footspeed. not very good defense. he's a bigger version of danny garcia. 100% srs.

his style will last to about 30 and it's over.

Comment

It's the weight. He's a big dude, who will likely move up in weight. He needs to add nuances to his game. I said this in another thread and I'll say it again, you can't Debo everyone. When Kell Brook pressed the action and made Spence fight on the back foot he was in control. However, he didn't have the condition to maintain that and the body shots took his soul.

Maybe I'm looking too far into the future. What happens happens. I'll enjoy Spence while he last.

Comment

He actually reminds me of GGG in the fact that he doesn't fight very well going backwards. Plus it took him a solid 5 rounds to stop getting hit by a lead right. A fight against Porter would be really interesting to me, though I absolutely hate Porter.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
          He actually reminds me of GGG in the fact that he doesn't fight very well going backwards. Plus it took him a solid 5 rounds to stop getting hit by a lead right. A fight against Porter would be really interesting to me, though I absolutely hate Porter.
          Yeah that would be an interesting fight for sure. Spence is way more talented but nobody pushes Porter around. Porter would be on top of him all night throwing hands inside. That would be a heck of a scrap.

Comment

Not many. I was very impressed with the kid, he isn't an exceptional talent like a Floyd, or Ward, or someone like that. He is extremely solid in a lot of areas, and has a huge mental game. If you want to say they are flaws - he could get outboxed (by an exceptional boxer), the reason is that he isn't slow but he isn't super fast and is hittable, and can be countered.

He doesn't seem to stay concentrated all the way through a fight, so can give away rounds, again just to reiterate, his technical level is very high, so you have to be very good yourself to take advantage of this.

His defence is a little leaky - all this stuff is hypercritical though, he is an attacking fighter at the end of the day, he stalks, so he is going to get hit, he probably gets hit less than 99% of fighter in this style, so you could say his style has things you can take advantage of, rather than critical errors he makes implementing that style.

As you can see its very difficult to actually find faults in the guy, he is extremely complete, especially for his age. His major fault you can say is that he isn't really special in anything he does. He makes a few technical mistakes, doesn't always bring his jab back to his guard quick enough, reaches sometimes.

Look - he isn't going to come across fighters as good as Brook every fight. I don't think he is head and shoulders above all the other welterweights. Garcia and Thurman are tough fights for him. He could be the best, but he won't outclass those two in my opinion. Him and Thurman is a 50/50, maybe a lean slightly towards Spence, but Thurman is good enough to take advantage of some of the above things, he has the talent.

Comment

He would need to sacrifice a little less attack for a little more defence. And he would need to learn how to fight going backwards a bit. Right now he is young, fresh and hungry. But if he wants to have a lasting career he would need to tweak those, Mayweather did that to prolong his career.

Comment

did not see much of that supposed "cutting the ring off skills" of his tbh...

but he has a better defense than i expected and can box off the back foot decently.. good counter punching skills,good jab..

more good qualities than flaws, good overall fighter

Comment

One thing I would hate to see go would be his attack to the body, to see boxers at the top level working that body is a beautiful thing. You could see Brook facial expressions every time he got hit to the body last night. It's like he wanted to cry but couldn't. I swear Brook would be pissing blood for the next couple of weeks.

Comment

hes beatable but so is everyone in that division. i wouldnt place one name way above any of the others.

Comment

Working...
                    X