No announcement yet.

Explain to me the damage McGregor-Mayweather will do to the sport of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    I know it's a mismatch and Floyd will win easily. But I don't understand all this "damage to boxing" talk. There have been corrupt promoters/refs/judges/sanctioning bodies that have done quantifiable damage to boxing and the sport is still here and surviving. Ali vs. football player Lyle Alzado didn't do any damage to boxing. James Toney vs. Randy Couture didn't do any damage to MMA/UFC.

This is a money grab event. Nothing more, nothing less. Step outside the boxing bubble and you'll find millions of people who want to see this fight and people who give McGregor a chance to win. They're begging Floyd to take their money and if I was him I'd take it too.

Get off your high horse with this "damage to boxing" BS when the people involved in the sport continue to do damage to boxing everyday.
    There is no high horse as you put it. There are fans of boxing as a sport that are genuinely concerned that potential new fans will be turned off if this is a snooze fest. I can see their point.
    Last edited by TonyGe; 05-26-2017, 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling (as usual)

Comment

Originally posted by adotd View Post
      It doesn't damage it. RANDY Coture fighting James Tony in an MMA match didn't damage MMA, so this won't damage boxing. Floyd is just disliked.
      randy made toney tapped doe........

is floyd gonna make conor do the stanky leg? or go night night?

Comment

Originally posted by WesternChamp View Post
        ppv sales aint doe !
        Just had 2 PPV's do over a million buys. Both PPV's had two guys with recognizable names. PPV is still about names. Put no names on PPV & you gonna get 150k buys. It ain't rocket science
        Last edited by Motorcity Cobra; 05-26-2017, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
          There is no high horse as you put it. There are fans of boxing as a sport that are genuinely concerned that potential new fans will be turned off if this is a snooze fest. I can see their point.
          Ive heard this EXACT same comment about every Floyd PPV going back to when he fought Baldomir. Yet people kept buying. Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
            What potential new fans? Boxing isn't some obscure sport. Nobody buying Floyd-Conor are buying it because they're curious about the sport. They're buying it because it's the #1 boxer vs the #1 MMA guy

Comment

Just don't watch I have no plans in watching this carnival act. The word fight will be more exciting than the fight it self

Comment

Also, why are we assuming that people dont have brains?

Like nobody is bright enough to realize that Floyd is a 40 year old retired boxer and that Conor is an MMA fighter meaning this isnt a real boxing match?

People who wanna buy it would be buying it for those two names. Not because they expect a top notch boxing match between two top boxers.

Comment

Absolutely no damage will occur to the sport of boxing.
                  In fact I think it will do some good, and the world will see how boxing is a skilled sport, and being the number 1 p4p mma fighter doesn't mean ****.

How unlike mma which had a wwe wrestler become hw champ after 3 fights, in boxing it takes real time and effort. No wwe star could come in after 3 fights and best Klitschko or Joshua.

Comment

What damages boxing is 3 different Champions in each weight class, different promoters, corruption, paid off judges, protected champs

Comment

Originally posted by Sp0rty Cr@ig View Post
                      What damages boxing is 4 different Champions in each weight class, different peomoters, corruption, paid off judges, protected champs.
                      Don't forget sometimes you have up to 3 different champions in the same weight class from the same organization.
                      Interim, regular, super champ. Etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X