Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are headbutts illegal in MMA?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything was legal when it 1st began...headbutts/eye gouging/strikes to the groin & back of head...nothing was off limits. Then they decided that if they were going to make it palatable for mainstream consumption that they would need to put some rules in place.

Comment

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post
      Kicks knees and elbows to the head are legal and that will bust your face up real quick and we all know that stuff can lead to serious head trauma.

Like AlexKid said it must be an image thing.
      Yeah but there's less incident of brain damage and dementia. Even in pro wrestling, you had Dynamite Kid and Chris Benoit who used their heads like battering rams. One ended up in a wheelchair, while the other had rage issues due to head trauma that resulted in a murder/suicide. The chair shots to the head didn't help either.

Comment

So I guess there is no truth into knocking some sense into someone???

Comment

Lol

Round house, spin heel kicks etc are FAR more dangerous to brain health than headbutts.

Even boxing punches and knees to the ehad are probably more dangerous.

Elbows cut as much as headbutts.

Soccer kicks and stomps are equally barbaric looking.

I think the UFC doesnt want strikes that seem too barbaric, I think thats why they lost soccer kicks and stomps too.

The ones they keep that are barbaric liek knees to the head, are already in other popular sports so that why they stay.

Thats my guess

Forgive me if that didnt make any sense I havnt eaten and the brain fog has come feels like my ability to think straight turned into thin air

Comment

Its simple, like most UFC rules, it is geared towards the wrestlers.

Comment

Originally posted by RAV3N View Post
              Its simple, like most UFC rules, it is geared towards the wrestlers.
              Not true headbutts help the wrestlers immensely.

A lack of headbutts helps the BJJ guys the most.

Strikers tend not to use headbutts much even when they are allowed (see Burmese boxing)

Comment

Yeah, that's why Mark Coleman was pissed when headbutts were made illegal. And Mark Kerr.

Comment

Lots of people think MMA is too brutal already, back in the day especially. They want to clean their image a bit, not to make it sensational among the press. Thats my take it at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Yeah, that's why Mark Coleman was pissed when headbutts were made illegal. And Mark Kerr.

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
                      hOLY COW Coleman was good looking!???????????

Wow

Yea the x2 leg/greco takedown combined with a simultaneous headbutt = really brutal and effective fighting
                      Last edited by AlexKid; 03-14-2016, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X