No announcement yet.

Jack Johnson vs Jim Flynn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Johnson vs Jim Flynn

Jack Johnson wins.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................v ia police interference.

I just watched this fight and found this shocking. The sheriff gets in the ring and stops the fight because they didn't want the world to see a black guy beating up a white guy.

I also watched the Johnson-Burns fight where they edited the last bit of tape so you don't see Johnson KO Burns. Its wierd when you see how backwards people were back then.

It's disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by OG William View Post
      Jack Johnson wins.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................v ia police interference.

I just watched this fight and found this shocking. The sheriff gets in the ring and stops the fight because they didn't want the world to see a black guy beating up a white guy.
      There was more to it than that. I believe this fight was stopped because the referee had repeatedly told Flynn not to use his head (which is clearly visible) and his continued racial taunts. The fight being stopped had more to do with Flynn disgracing himself than Johnson beating up on a white man.

As far as the Burns fight goes...it was edited so as to not cause anymore riots.

I do agree the way people thought back then was twisted compared to our own way of thinking today though.

Comment

aside from a few traits mostly stemming from the nature of the rules, johnson's style is incredibly modern

i've never seen him with such high quality film

it looks like it's perhaps remastered 16 mm?

and i know i'm going to catch **** for this
        but bomb away, i'm calling it like i see it

jim flynn is a highly deficient fighter

he didn't have a prayer
        he would have been hard pressed to win that fight with a baseball bat
        Last edited by New England; 05-11-2011, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          aside from a few traits mostly stemming from the nature of the rules, johnson's style is incredibly modern

i've never seen him with such high quality film

it looks like it's perhaps remastered 16 mm?

jim flynn is a highly deficient fighter

he didn't have a prayer
          he would have been hard pressed to win that fight with a baseball bat
          I don't think there is any argument about this. He was a contender. Good enough to fight for the championship at his prime and then he became a name - like McCline was to Arreola before his VK fight.

This isn't taking anything away from Flynn - but was he ever thought of as a "great" fighter? Yes, he KOed Dempsey in the first round the first time they fought and if that fight was legitimate then you have to give Flynn a lot more credit.

I spent a few minutes at BoxRec. Flynn fought and:

lost to Tommy Burns (1907) - he's 28 years old at this point
          lost to George Gardner (1907)
          lost to Jack Johnson (1908)
          splits with Billy Papke (1909) who's a good but not ATG middleweight
          fights three times with Sam Langford (1909-1910) winning one by decision
          lost to Jack Johnson (1912)

and is now 33 - way past his prime. He then loses a ton of fights over the next 10+ years.

He wasn't a bum by any stretch of the imagination but I've never thought of him as being in the same class as Jack Johnson.
          Last edited by bklynboy; 05-11-2011, 10:14 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            You ain't gonna catch it from me! I have Johnson ranked 3rd all-time at Heavyweight.....I believe he was THAT good.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by OG William View Post

I also watched the Johnson-Burns fight where they edited the last bit of tape so you don't see Johnson KO Burns. Its wierd when you see how backwards people were back then.

hah! johnson completely dominates those guys I swear I can see him laughing as he plays with them, he was miles ahead of his time in more ways than one. I reckon that fight was stopped as a disqualification though that headbutting was ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by David Haye View Post
                hah! johnson completely dominates those guys I swear I can see him laughing as he plays with them, he was miles ahead of his time in more ways than one. I reckon that fight was stopped as a disqualification though that headbutting was ridiculous.
                Johnson was brilliant.

"I'm black they never let me forget it. I'm black I won't let them forget it."

Comment

Those shots from his head made Tim Bradley look like a kitten
                  and Andre ward look like a saint

Comment

I have seen a few of Jack Johnson's fights and he is always huge compared to his opponent. So i was shocked to learn recently that he is only 6"1!

6"1 is a midget in todays heavyweight division. Most the pre-war heavyweights would be middleweights today.

Boxing really was a brutal and dangerous sport back then and makes todays boxers look like p*ssys.

Comment

Working...
                    X