Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Andy Ruiz Jr. be the next Buster Douglas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a lot is riding on him winning the rematch, he needs to make sure he beats AJ again and go from there. This is not as strong a division as the one that Buster was in so Ruiz could have a good run. Also, one can argue that Ruiz was coming in undefeated against AJ and Buster had already been stopped quite a few times. I wouldn't really compare them or the situations. Ruiz seemed like he had AJ figured out while Douglas had the night of his life against a weakened Tyson and still almost got stopped.

Comment

By the end of next year I see Ruiz being well over 300 lbs and done being a serious boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by 'b' View Post
        A lot of people that were waiting and hoping for AJ to finally lose came out of the woodwork to chit all over him, but they'll sing a different tune a few days before the rematch and hedge their bets on AJ.

AJ finishes Ruiz in the rematch and goes back to being the #1 HW in most people's eyes is what I'm predicting. Fan or not AJ clearly looked different that night before the bell even rang.
        He never goes back to no.1 until he beats Fury or Wilder, especially now.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          I think his story will be similar. I think it'll be harder for him to go south as quickly & as badly as Buster did, but I put his over/under on title defenses at 2.5 & I'm sticking with that. If Usyk gets pushed on Ruiz if he repeats his W over Joshua I think he's done right right there.
          Usyk has a better chin than AJ? Ruiz will land big on Usyk eventually.

Comment

Yes, highly likely imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingraya View Post
              Usyk has a better chin than AJ? Ruiz will land big on Usyk eventually.
              AJ's chin might not be. Guy has been dropped, hurt &/or stunned by like 4 different guys iirc. And he really didn't like what Parker was doing but that UK ref was letting AJ call his own timeouts & walk away from the action. Granted Usyk hasn't had a HW fight yet so I admit there is some speculation with Usyk til he does make his HW debut so it seems a lil early to be comparing chins.

And idk that its about chins anyway. Usyk gots a much bigger ring IQ than Joshua & won't be asking his corner why he's feeling like this & all the weirdo sh^t Joshua was asking his corner. Usyk also gots some defense & elusiveness to avoid being caught as solidly as Joshua gets hit & got hit by Ruiz.

I also think some people are overrating Ruiz's power. He had a great night vs Joshua, but go watch all his distance fights from his past. He's got more skills & quickness then he gots power. Usyk's got more skills & is quicker doe so unless it turns out Usyk can't hang at HW I have a hard time envisioning Ruiz beating Usyk.
              Last edited by Eff Pandas; 06-26-2019, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                He never goes back to no.1 until he beats Fury or Wilder, especially now.
                Yeah maybe so, funny to think Wilder was the butt of all the jokes only months ago but then he fought Fury and AJ chat the bed.

I wonder if anti Wilder propaganda was manufactured to make him accept a lower split against AJ? It was a campaign of denigration but now he has been vindicated (Ortiz then Fury) and AJ has to prove himself once more.

Comment

As we all know, it's all about matchups. Any heavy with head movement, decent footwork, and a body attack is gonna give Ruiz a hard time, especially in the later rounds. I debated with somebody here about a body attack against Ruiz and they came back with "he may have muscle underneath the fat gut", but just carrying around the extra weight he does will be his achilles heel.

The fighter that is smart enough and skilled enough to take him to the later rounds, slow him down, and take advantage of that will beat Andy.

Comment

Andy will have a better post fluky win career than Buster. It will be similar how Buster never repeated his fluke. AJ will beat Andy in the rematch. Andy will never hold a real HW title again (maybe some minor offshoot strap).

Comment

If by being Buster you mean ordering food by phone to the sauna you try to lose weight in, then yes. I can even picture Ruiz doing it right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X