• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leonard stops Cotto in the first 5

I think Whitaker would have won more convincing, but less entertaining

Tommy, DEAD COTTO

Comment

• Floyd Mayweather won't retire, Miguel Cotto rematch has appeal, Roger Mayweather says

By David Mayo

LAS VEGAS -- Floyd Mayweather talked retirement.

Roger Mayweather talked rematch.

In all probability, with time to reflect, the odds in this gaming town would fall against both of those. Floyd Mayweather probably fights again, and not against Miguel Cotto, whom he defeated on a unanimous decision in a rousing fight Saturday night.

Still, he said it was "80-20" that he wouldn't fight again, which seemed like an emotional response in the aftermath of the most rugged and entertaining of his 43 professional fights.

That's how his uncle and trainer took it.

"He ain't gonna retire when he can make that kind of money," Roger Mayweather said.

Floyd Mayweather's base purse was $32 million, not including pay-per-view percentages, the largest in boxing history.

Cotto, who slipped to 37-3 and lost the World Boxing Association super welterweight title, managed dent Mayweather with solid punches, as evidenced by the unbeaten Grand Rapids' native bloodied and bruised face at the press conference more than an hour after the fight.

No one saw Cotto at that press conference. He was being examined at a local hospital.

Nevertheless, Cotto put up a spirited fight in losing by scores of 118-110, and 117-111 twice, and Roger Mayweather said people would embrace a rematch.

"People liked the fight," he said Sunday afternoon, in the lobby of MGM Grand, as a steady stream of fans stopped him for photos and congratulatory handshakes. "They think the fight was competitive. But it wasn't as competitive as some people thought it was. Rough fight. But as far as the physical punishment, it was put on Cotto. It wasn't put on Floyd, it was put on Cotto."

In the corner, Roger Mayweather and Leonard Ellerbe implored their fighter to work the body. Floyd Mayweather responded that he could tell it wasn't having the intended effect of wearing down Cotto.

"You can see one thing and the fighter sees another," Roger Mayweather said. "That's the difference in what I see, as a trainer, and what I'm telling him to do. Those things happen. Cotto fought a tough fight. Floyd, as far as skill-wise, beat him easy. But I thought if Floyd had started hitting him with some body shots, I thought Floyd would get him out of there.

"He was trying to break him down but he didn't hit the body enough. I thought he could've broken him down, if he started hitting him to the body. I mean, Floyd was hitting him a lot to the head, too. But if Floyd had started working the body much earlier, I thought he could have stopped him."

Roger Mayweather said he wasn't concerned with his nephew fighting off the ropes frequently, "because Floyd is a great defensive fighter anyway," and said the left uppercut that Floyd Mayweather landed frequently in the second half of the fight was a function of his nephew staying on point after a brief layoff between last September's win over Victor Ortiz and Saturday's win over Cotto.

Floyd Mayweather didn't spar in the eight days preceding the fight because of two sore knuckles on his left hand. He said he couldn't attribute the injury to a single incident but it probably started in a sparring session. His last sparring session was April 26.

Roger Mayweather said once the adrenaline kicked in, his nephew seemed fine.

"He didn't seem like there was anything wrong with it," he said. "He was drilling the dude with clean punches, sharp punches."

Comment

• Someone tell me how he looked different than the Mosley and Ortiz fights??? Floyd hasn't looked prime or like before since 2007, before he retired. Since 2010, he's looked the EXACT SAME.

Comment

• Originally posted by Main Source View Post
          If it's 50/50 then why did they ran away when that was an option back then? Do you know? Because I would like to know.

Arum was the one who turned down the 50/50 split during negotiations. So yes, Arum is indeed the obstacle. I really can't see why Manny is hanging around Arum and Koncz - especially the latter.
          youre ******ed..the negotiation halted becuase of the OST cut off, not the split dummy..and arum never asked for more than 50%, floyd did.. floyd changed his 14 day cut off to no cut off...and now, wants all the ppv money....

Comment

• Floyd's not going to retire.......and Miguel Cotto is a moron for thinking the fight was close, let alone that he won.

He won 2-3 rounds, 4 at they very most.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zano-24 View Post
              You act like your getting paid. Manny should have been left Arum a few years ago anyway.
              do you see how im acting right now?...

Comment

• U idiots do realize we aren't talking a prime Floyd rite? At 35 he's lasted longer than each of those fighters so ur reasoning is trash.

Comment

• Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
                  U idiots do realize we aren't talking a prime Floyd rite? At 35 he's lasted longer than each of those fighters so ur reasoning is trash.
                  Thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                    Someone tell me how he looked different than the Mosley and Ortiz fights??? Floyd hasn't looked prime or like before since 2007, before he retired. Since 2010, he's looked the EXACT SAME.

I am sorry. I don't buy your EXACT SAME argument. He went from 33 to 35 and his legs is slower and his reaction time is definitely slower.
                    But opinions often differ on the forum.

Comment

• 50/50 or it won't happen. And I doubt we will, which is a shame.

Comment

Working...
                      X