No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Top 50 Fighters From The USSR: Part I – 50th to 38th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Top 50 Fighters From The USSR: Part I – 50th to 38th

By Alexey Sukachev - Go West… Nah, stop. Turn around. Go East then. It’s just the right time.

And it’s just that time when it’s pretty darn hard to imagine modern boxing without fighters from what was once called the “Evil Empire”. And, yes, I’m talking about the former USSR and the present array of once united and now independent states. More than 25 world champions (counting only so-called “major belts”), a lock on the sport’s glamour division, several heated rivalries, a few of dominating masterminds, and now – with the Kostya Tszyu’s arrival to Canastota – we have our first ever Eastern European Hall of Famer (Purists will call for Laszlo Papp but it’s an ultimate exception and Hungary’s placement in Eastern Europe is also a subject at large). [Click Here To Read More]

#1 Ivan Drago

Comment

wow, I just got done reading the whole thing. I think I only knew who Liakhovich, Povetkin and Kid Diamond are. I can only assume I'll know many more names in the top 37

Comment

i'm curious to see the top 5. i'm sure wlad and vitali will be in there but i'm wondering if they'll be ahead of tszyu or not. froch is half polish i think. henry maske was born in east germany so he'll be in there somewhere. sven ottke was born in west berlin. guess that one will depend on the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by geribeetus View Post
          i'm curious to see the top 5. i'm sure wlad and vitali will be in there but i'm wondering if they'll be ahead of tszyu or not. froch is half polish i think. henry maske was born in east germany so he'll be in there somewhere. sven ottke was born in west berlin. guess that one will depend on the writer.
          I think the list is being comprised of only fighters from the 15 original republics. Even though East Germany and Poland were under Soviet control for some time, I don't think the writer will be taking them into consideration.

That being said, I am very much looking forward to seeing the complete list over the upcoming weeks. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X