Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do adults stay fighting in the amateurs for like a decade?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even after the fall of the soviet union, it seems like the whole eastern europe and asia area there are a lot of olympic medalists that just never turn pro. That is very weird to me.

Any US or mexican fighter that makes it that far in the amateurs almost always turns pro.

You do have Lomachenko who was fighting in the WSB which is paid but doesnt count as pro for whatever reason, looks pro to me.
    Last edited by elfag; 10-20-2019, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
      This ^. A lot of guys seem to be under the impression that the ammys is merely some kind of stepping stone til guys get to the 'real thing', probably because that is pretty much how it's treated in the US and Mexico, but traditionally many top ams, especially from the ex-Soviet / Eastern bloc countries never had any expectation of turning pro and anyway had few if any opportunities to do so.

Well I think a lot of people are wondering how they make their living, including me. Yeah cuba and soviet union government paid their fighters but soviet union is gone yet there seems to be a lot of guys in eastern europe still doing 2 or 3 goes at the olympics. Is it the government still paying them over there? or do all those guys have day jobs?

Comment

Wats wrong with dudes just wanting to compete ? But it is kinda iffy when u have Adults squashing teens

Comment

Originally posted by I'm Widdit! View Post
          EU block and Cuba have prestige and Govt. backing for their guys to aim high at the Olympics and routine quota to earn medals. The ams are basically their stay busy fights as they refine their skills, and even being on the team is a goal.

Thing is though the Pros separate the dogs from the Wolves. Many pros go in with mean intentions and different grit vs a highly decorated amateur whom has to rely on the sweet science.

This is why Floyd Mayweather Jr. has excelled higher than anyone because of his family pedigree. It’s that old school family grit and knowledge that can even challenge the best of chess players in the sport. Canelo’s got a similar influence from the saturation of his brothers, and of course, a good trainer and Chololo Larios helping out in camps with the knowledge when he was a youngie.

The only real problem is that Abel Sanchez wore the same jeans in almost every media workout or gym invite video. As if he were broke. How does a trainer move fluidly wearing tight jeans to begin with?
          Yes but Floyd was also a top amateur who won an olympic bronze medal

Comment

This video should answer every question in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post
              Yes but Floyd was also a top amateur who won an olympic bronze medal
              Yeah I know about Floyd’s Golden Groves consecutively and his way to the Olympics. You’re missing the point. My point is that the Olympics ain’t the pros. Headgear and conservative scoring/tagging is not the pros nor real prize fighting. Floyd was already a bonafide elite before the Olympics, all due in part because of his father and uncle. He picked up things as a kid from boxing by two already elite boxers in his dad and uncle. Floyd Sr. wasn’t as disciplined as Floyd Jr. Ironically it was Senior whom made sure Floyd wasn’t like him.

Regarding the Olympics and “the Matrix,” all that pedigree wasn’t enough to convincingly beat Salido. Goes to show of the real hurt game versus the safety head gear.

Comment

Originally posted by I'm Widdit! View Post
                Yeah I know about Floyd’s Golden Groves consecutively and his way to the Olympics. You’re missing the point. My point is that the Olympics ain’t the pros. Headgear and conservative scoring/tagging is not the pros nor real prize fighting. Floyd was already a bonafide elite before the Olympics, all due in part because of his father and uncle. He picked up things as a kid from boxing by two already elite boxers in his dad and uncle. Floyd Sr. wasn’t as disciplined as Floyd Jr. Ironically it was Senior whom made sure Floyd wasn’t like him.

Regarding the Olympics and “the Matrix,” all that pedigree wasn’t enough to convincingly beat Salido. Goes to show of the real hurt game versus the safety head gear.
                Try watching some recent amateur boxing, like the world championships which just went by in september. fights are now scored by the 10 point must system, and lots of guys have success with fairly aggressive styles.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
                  A lot of Euro guys do it but how? Like are they working part or full time jobs while fighting hundreds of bouts? Are they paid or given gifts by someone with vested interests? Are there like tournaments with cash prizes? What is it?

Serious question, 10 years is ****ing long, like you don't see that happen in America, guys go pro asap because they want that money.
                  Not everyone turns pro for different reasons, and like any other sport, not everyone "makes it".

I've been an am for a long time myself.

And why do it? For the love of the sport. The same reason snow boarders drive to mountains and board down them. The same reason surfers attempt to take on crazy waves. The same reason hoopers will still be dropping shots into their 60s and maybe 70s. The day I stop lacing em up, throwing my boots on, getting a lather going, and forcing an old fashioned gym war, will be the day I am no longer physically capable. For some of us, loving this sport doesn't stop at perusing NSB all day and eating up fights, live and historical, for some of us, that means leaving it all in the gym, or in a fight, until we cannot any longer.

Comment

because they love beating up little kids. those with dreams of turning pro want to land a good promotional deal. promoters usually aren't out there trying to sign random unheard of amateurs from kazakhstan or ukraine. The US has a pipeline of amateurs that those guys can sign. its just easier. signing these unknown guy who are harder to promote is riskier so they better have damn good pedigree.

An American amateur would likely turn pro sooner because he simply will get paid earlier on a promotional deal. its like college football/basketball. the really good prospects don't usually stay for all the years. same with US boxing. they have a shortcut because promoters want american fighters to turn into stars. you dont wanna gamble with some euro who could be a euro bum. you want a sure bet. loma was a sure bet. thats why a lot of times you will see big promoters sign euros after they are pro and have shown promise, not straight away

Comment

Originally posted by thesmokingman View Post
                      I'm not a fan of career amateurs, whom are essentially pros at that point. And it's one thing to be in a sport w/o a professional future to advance to but boxing is not a dead end sport.
                      Not everyone wants to turn pro. Taking pride in being great amateur boxers and winning medals at the Olympics and AIBA World Boxing Championships is what matters to a lot of boxers around the world.

Comment

Working...
                      X