No announcement yet.

Ron Lyle in previous eras

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Lyle in previous eras

Lyle did phenomenal considering he got into the boxing game at a late age. He was 30 when he turned pro and that's late when you consider most fighters are done by 40. Furthermore, there was really no time to bring him along. He had to be pushed into the deep end and fight much more experienced men. Had he turned pro at 20, he could have been brought up slowly. So to reach the level of a top rated contender in one of the best heavyweight eras ever was quite an accomplishment. But, which heavyweight era would Lyle do best in and likely become champion?

How would Lyle do among Carnera, Sharkey, Schmeling and Max Baer?

Could he have taken Tunney or a 1927 Jack Dempsey?

How would he do against Walcott, Charles, Marciano and the 1945-1955 HW scene?

Could he have beaten Patterson in the late 50s, early 60s or Johannson?

I think he could muscle his way through Carnera, Johannson, and maybe Patterson. We're talking about a guy who lost to Quarry and got KO'd by Cooney. He was tough and resilient, but custom made for a boxer with good skills and defense.

Comment

--- Well, he BTFO Ali and was even doing a credible ropadope on him before being robbed, good enough for me.

Comment

Antique eras had more good boxers. His lack of schooling is what will hold him back. Wherever men stand and slug until one falls, Lyle would give a respectable account of himself.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
          Antique eras had more good boxers. His lack of schooling is what will hold him back. Wherever men stand and slug until one falls, Lyle would give a respectable account of himself.
          How do you see him doing against Max Baer

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
            How do you see him doing against Max Baer
            I personally lean towards Baer, but Lyle's punch could change the fight and Baer was hittable.

Comment

"We're talking about a guy who lost to Quarry and got KO'd by Cooney"

You mean Quarry the guy who had excellent boxing skills?
              You mean the left hook power punching Cooney?

" Well, he BTFO Ali and was even doing a credible ropadope on him before being robbed, good enough for me"...............

The fight when Ali stopped him in the 11th, that robbery?.........

Facts supersede opinions when opinions are based on fiction.

Ray

Comment

Lyle was a good contender. Unfortunately he failed vs his best opposition. He would not beat Tunney, Schmeling, Sharkey, Baer, Patterson. Carnera at his best outboxes Lyle.

Ali introduced the MIRAGE for his bout with Lyle. Some felt he carried Lyle and then ended it as he liked.

Comment

--- If facts supersede opinions, facts are Lyle BTFO Ali and was all over the ref as soon as he waved it off.

There's a reason why Ali turned into turnip and it was because of beatings rendered by Foreman, Lyle, Wepner, Frazier, Norton and many others.

God bless him, he was game within the best of his abilities, but his limitations were exposed in those fights and he always had refs and judges running inference for him and that's a fact, Jack!

Best to best I take Baer, but his best was short, so overall after that I figure Lyle would take him in a decision.

Comment

Silly. Wepner was beaten to a pulp. Ali was never really hurt by Lyle as Lyles strategy was "to try to not beat him". In other words not punch himself out. Ali became ill more than likely not through any single bout or multiple fights. Sparring in training for bouts was more of a cause.

Comment

Working...
                    X