Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did Angelo Dundee have against weight training?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not only was Dundee against weights, but, in one interview he said that Ali "did not do one pushup or pullup". I honestly don't know how Ali went from a light heavy to a 220Lb+ heavyweight with no weight training. Someone wrote that the only time Ali ever lifted weights was before the third Frazier fight where they brought Dick Saddler in. I cant confirm that.

Comment

• Probably was against it because too much of it can slow you down and screw up your stamina.

Comment

• Anthony Joshua's stamina certainly looked suspect in his last fight, when he weighed in at a heavily muscled 255 lbs.

I think his movement and fluidity suffered as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Probably was against it because too much of it can slow you down and screw up your stamina.
          Kills your reflexes.....which just so happens to be your most important asset as a fighter.

Comment

• Yep, followed closely by endurance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
              I noticed he was one of the few trainers who was vehemently opposed to the concept.. Should boxers use weights or not?
              one of the few? try all of the good trainers. even Freddie roach isn't big on it. don't listen to the uneducated clowns on this board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
                Why do you always put... after every sentence. It isn't leading into anything exciting. All it does is (combined with your profile picture) make us think you are a fat neckbeard who breaths heavily after every sentence. Also, you remind me of the kids at lunch in high school who play yu gi oh at lunch. If you can provide any names for your uncle, dad, and wlads sparring partner who you say have all of these impressive feats then I will retract any statement I have said and give you the credit you deserve.
                lol''......''

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
                  Why do you always put... after every sentence. It isn't leading into anything exciting. All it does is (combined with your profile picture) make us think you are a fat neckbeard who breaths heavily after every sentence. Also, you remind me of the kids at lunch in high school who play yu gi oh at lunch. If you can provide any names for your uncle, dad, and wlads sparring partner who you say have all of these impressive feats then I will retract any statement I have said and give you the credit you deserve.
                  God damn I laughed out loud

Comment

• "I honestly don't know how Ali went from a light heavy to a 220Lb+ heavyweight with no weight training"............

It's pretty easy to do he was a teenager at light heavy!
                    A man who is growing into a 6' 3 1/2" frame at 19 yrs old will mature until he is 23-24 years old.

As for Dundee's comments on weight training most trainers will evaluate muscle size when developing a program.
                    If you have a build like a Kenny Norton or a current day Joshua I would stay away from weights once training concentrates on boxing skills.
                    Getting into shape and increasing strength weights are fine however I always preferred a short time duration on heavy lifting and short reps. I would prefer to use light weight and higher reps.

Body type dictates how weights should be used. You do not want peaks on biceps and triceps and you definitely
                    don't want mass back development.

I believe the over muscular body types do suffer from muscle fatigue as the over sized muscle begins to starve for oxygen.

Ali had the best heavyweight body when he was 25 yrs old. He had height, length, reach, proportions, and long lean muscle with great bone structure.

I've known men who couldn't bench 200 lbs who were 6'5" 300 lbs. They could pick a man off their feet who were 250lbs and throw them across a room.

Strength doesn't always equate to weight lifting.

Ray

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                      "I honestly don't know how Ali went from a light heavy to a 220Lb+ heavyweight with no weight training"............

It's pretty easy to do he was a teenager at light heavy!
                      A man who is growing into a 6' 3 1/2" frame at 19 yrs old will mature until he is 23-24 years old.

As for Dundee's comments on weight training most trainers will evaluate muscle size when developing a program.
                      If you have a build like a Kenny Norton or a current day Joshua I would stay away from weights once training concentrates on boxing skills.
                      Getting into shape and increasing strength weights are fine however I always preferred a short time duration on heavy lifting and short reps. I would prefer to use light weight and higher reps.

Body type dictates how weights should be used. You do not want peaks on biceps and triceps and you definitely
                      don't want mass back development.

I believe the over muscular body types do suffer from muscle fatigue as the over sized muscle begins to starve for oxygen.

Ali had the best heavyweight body when he was 25 yrs old. He had height, length, reach, proportions, and long lean muscle with great bone structure.

I've known men who couldn't bench 200 lbs who were 6'5" 300 lbs. They could pick a man off their feet who were 250lbs and throw them across a room.

Strength doesn't always equate to weight lifting.

Ray
                      I agree 100%, when you are a teenager running 6 days a week and not eating cheeseburgers 3x a day you can get very lean.

Ali filled out in his 30's.

And the point on weights, I know plenty of farm kids that are considerably stronger in real world scenarios than gym rats, and I mean considerably - especially when in their respective weight class.

I want to make a point myself; all of the overly muscled boxers tend to struggle with telegraphing due to the tension they have when they fire off their shots. They usually have 1 or 2 rounds where the opponents hasn't timed them yet then after that you can read them (a boxer in front of them can).

Later on in Nortons career you could really see him struggling to remain loose and not give off tension because of all the extra muscle mass he slapped on.

On top of this we have direct proof when both Norton and Holy looked far superior at lighter weights, although we are comparing later careers as well.

Today it doesn't even matter, a heavy weight just being in shape is an accomplishment. They both are sucking wind in 2 rounds.
                      Last edited by them_apples; 11-29-2017, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X