No announcement yet.

Freddie Roach New Trainer For Miguel Cotto & Ricky Hatton

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freddie Roach New Trainer For Miguel Cotto & Ricky Hatton

In the aftermath of one of the best fights of the last past decade there is a lot of speculation as to where the newly defeated [but not finished] Miguel Cotto will look to man his corner. After a couple years of troubled relations between Miguel and his uncle/trainer Evangelista Cotto apparently a new man will be guiding the Puerto Rican star in his comeback to the top of the welterweight division. Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach has expressed interest in Cotto and will begin working with him for his next bout.

Roach believes he can and will further develop Cotto into a fighter that can not only beat Margarito in a rematch but also the retired Floyd Mayweather Jr. should he opt. to end his “retirement.” While Cotto has maintained his camp will stay in tact after Saturday nights knockout loss to Antonio Margarito insider's have revealed that a change is the making bringing Roach into his corner.

In a recent visit to the Wild Card Gym Roach was quoted saying, “I would love to work with Cotto. He's a great fighter. Even better than what happened to him at the end of Saturday's fight with Margarito. My agent has already called [Bob] Arum to let him know we're interested in training him. It looks like we'll start making preparations for his next fight as soon as he's ready.”

Roach went on to say, “I have fighters that have sparred with him all the way up to middleweight. He’s a great young fighter with all the tools. He fast, quick, a technician of the ring and has great power.” Roach believes Cotto may have been winning, while fighting the wrong fight plan, going into the 11th round saying, “The kid fought his heart out. He stood in there like a champ and fought a great fight. He just didn’t make the necessary adjustments and came in with the wrong fight plan against Margarito.”

Roach also stated he would like to train Ricky Hatton for his upcoming bout with IBF light welterweight title holder Paul Malignaggi after the retirement of Hatton’s long time trainer Billy Graham. According to Roach, “Hatton should not have much trouble with Malignaggi if he doesn’t struggle with weight. He [Malignaggi] is a slick fighter but we can put together a fight plan with Ricky’s talent to put Malignaggi away early.”

Roach does not see training Hatton as a conflict of interest for Pound for Pound best Manny Pacquiao as they are not scheduled for a head to head bout. Nonetheless Roach made it clear the PacMan is his number one guy, "Manny is the best fighter in the world. We have a special relationship that goes beyond just boxing. I'll always be in his corner no matter what."

Courtesy of CHICAGO BROWN
    Antonio Margarito Rematch
    22.22%
    Oscar De La Hoya
    0.00%
    Paul Williams
    33.33%
    Andre Berto
    11.11%
    Shane Mosley vs. Ricardo Mayorga winner
    11.11%
    Joshua Clottey vs. Zab Judah winner
    22.22%

Link please?

Is this legit? If so, this is good news!

Comment

if its true its good news. cause his game plan for margarito was to see what he's gonna do and adapt to that. how did he not know what margarito was gonna do? we all did the same thing he does every fight. new cut man would be good too.

Comment

Two of my favourite fighters with my favourite trainer. I may get a stiffy if this happens.

Comment

Working...
        X