No announcement yet.

Footwork

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footwork

Any tips on improving speed and coordination with my footwork? I'm fairly new to boxing. It seems that when I'm sparring, my hands are moving faster than my feet and I end up losing my rhythm and thus balance. Any suggestions on training methods would be great.

Shadow boxing is an excellent way to improve your balance while throwing punches. By shadow boxing you can see the relation your hands have to your feet. I'm sure there are other ways but that comes to my mind first and gives me a chance through trial and error to work on and correct balance and speed issues I might have.

Comment

Skipping rope

Comment

Ever thought about taking up dancing?

Seriously. I've been swing dancing since junior high. It really does help. I can Lindy, Balboa, Shag, & Jitterbug. My wheels are pretty good; coordinated, at least. My coach and trainers were quick to point out that I have an intuitive knowledge of how my feet and body work together; applying it to boxing was pretty simple once I realized how it was supposed to feel.

I would imagine a tap dancer or even a male ballet danser could make one hell of a boxer. Have you ever seen the muscles on a male ballet danser?

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post

Seriously. I've been swing dancing since junior high. It really does help. I can Lindy, Balboa, Shag, & Jitterbug. My wheels are pretty good; coordinated, at least. My coach and trainers were quick to point out that I have an intuitive knowledge of how my feet and body work together; applying it to boxing was pretty simple once I realized how it was supposed to feel.

I would imagine a tap dancer or even a male ballet danser could make one hell of a boxer. Have you ever seen the muscles on a male ballet danser?
          I hadn't thought of it, but that would make a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by egonct View Post
            I hadn't thought of it, but that would make a lot of sense.
            You will meet a lot of girls at a dance class, too. Just, you know, FYI. Then you can lay the whole, "Well, I'm a boxer, I'm just looking to sharpen my footwork," line on 'em and have them swooning. It'll also show them you have a sensitive, artistic side as well as being a tough guy who likes to beat people up. Chicks dig depth. Good luck.
            Last edited by fraidycat; 12-04-2006, 11:04 AM.

Comment

You will meet a lot of girls at a dance class, too. Just, you know, FYI. Then you can lay the whole, "Well, I'm a boxer, I'm just looking to sharpen my footwork," line on 'em and have them swooning. It'll also show them you have a sensitive, artistic side as well as being a tough guy who likes to beat people up. Chicks dig depth. Good luck.
              yeh mention your a boxer early or they may want to beocme your ***-hag!!

Comment

Calvin Brock is a tap danser, but it didn't make move like Muhammad Ali. Great coordination, like punching power, is just another one of those talents that some men have built into their genes. With dedicated training you can improve slightly, but it really is only slight. Having said that, in boxing there are a limited range of movements that a person has to learn to be successful. That means an uncoordinated guy like Nickolai Valuev can learn basic boxing skills reasonably well.

Comment

Originally posted by potatoes View Post
                  Calvin Brock is a tap danser, but it didn't make move like Muhammad Ali. Great coordination, like punching power, is just another one of those talents that some men have built into their genes. With dedicated training you can improve slightly, but it really is only slight. Having said that, in boxing there are a limited range of movements that a person has to learn to be successful. That means an uncoordinated guy like Nickolai Valuev can learn basic boxing skills reasonably well.
                  Yeah, he's right. If you're uncoordinated, you might as well give up all hope of becoming a great fighter like Potatoes is. Or was. Or something.

Dude, you're pissing me off today. I was a seriously uncoordinated kid until I took up dancing. Don't give me that bull**** about genetics. Anyone can learn to do anything. We're human beings, the most adaptive animals on the planet. Specialization is for insects.

Comment

Originally posted by potatoes View Post
                    Oh no I smell some more Potatoes B.S. And a good size load of it to.
                    Coordination between the hands feet or any other part of the body is a skill. Not a genetic gift. Skills are leaned and mastered through repetition. (practice) Sucess is directly related to effort. If you want to you could teach yourelf to move maybe not exactly like Ali, but in that catagory. The problem is believing and putting forth the effort. Talent applys to how quickly you can pick it up and how rivoted it is to your fight game.

Can you get nothing right Potatoes?

Comment

Working...
                    X