No announcement yet.

Shane Mosley's awkward boxing style.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shane Mosley's awkward boxing style.

I don't mean to disrespect the guy but everytime I watch the man jittered in the ring with his left hands down low and right hands barely covering his twig-shaped neck it's a surprise that no one ever thought of decapitating him with an overhand right.

Originally posted by CharlieZelepuss View Post
    I don't mean to disrespect the guy but everytime I watch the man jittered in the ring with his left hands down low and right hands barely covering his twig-shaped neck it's a surprise that no one ever thought of decapitating him with an overhand right.
    Oh they tried.

Comment

Mosley was one of the most well balanced boxers you could find, but he lacked the ring iq, even tho i stole tricks from him all the time.

Comment

Mosely had the terrible habit of closing his eyes when he punched! There are numerous photos to substantiate this. Great fighters are always watching.

As a lightweight he was a giant who would never be able to make the same day weigh-ins of mythical matchups, as a welterweight he was about right size--what was he, 5'9"?

He would be a good matchup for any welterweights of history, he just would not beat the very best of them.

One thing that must have made him awkward to fight were those long arms. Mosely is built like Sam Langford. He would be forced to get down in the trenches against someone like Basilio, though, and that would get very interesting, for anyone should know Mosely does not box as well or punch as hard as Robinson who had his elderly hands full with Carmen.

One thing to grant--Mosely will be quicker or as quick as most of his all time welterweight opponents. Sometimes it would do him no good. I am precisely confident that Gavilan would hold him off with his longer frame the same way exactly that Forrest and Wright were able to. Mosely simply could not solve them, so we saw him reach his limit, and know what that limit is.

Counter-intuitively, these losses do not count against him as much as they might seem to. The reason is that Mosely was one of the fightingest fighters of his generation, if not the very fightingest. He gave us (historians and fans) complete information, which few these days do, and that willingness to fight should not be counted against him, but probably rather in his favor. He showed us exactly what he could do and what he could not do. For this we should love him over the Joel Calzaghes of the sport who leave a career full of question marks. To me, it is those question marks which most count against a career.

It took tremendous guts and pride to go immediate rematches with Forrest and Wright when they both shut you down so easily the first time. As a fan you have to love that kind of willingness.

Mosely will knock off some of those welterweight champs of the past. Which ones, no one knows. When you have quite a few tools and a fine chin to go with it, that usually makes you a problem for anyone, sometimes an unsolvable one.
        Last edited by The Old LefHook; 02-24-2017, 01:25 AM.

Comment

He was a power boxer ,he depended on his power and speed to much imo ,it showed in Cotto and Canelo fights when he was lost like a child.

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
            He was a power boxer ,he depended on his power and speed to much imo ,it showed in Cotto and Canelo fights when he was lost like a child.
            He was a little past his prime by then, i think Oscar, Winky and Forrest beat a prime Mosley.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
              He was a little past his prime by then, i think Oscar, Winky and Forrest beat a prime Mosley.
              I agree that he was past it ,thats why lack of basics was visable.

Good Orthodox boxers can box on expiriance and basics like Morales or MAB ,when ppl like Mosley and RJJ lose a step.

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
                I agree that he was past it ,thats why lack of basics was visable.

Good Orthodox boxers can box on expiriance and basics like Morales or MAB ,when ppl like Mosley and RJJ lose a step.
                It's funny cause Mosley always seems to have a little extra to give in the ring, he is probably TBE sparring partner.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
                  It's funny cause Mosley always seems to have a little extra to give in the ring, he is probably TBE sparring partner.
                  Yea im not sayin his lacking fighting spirt cuse he have enough of it.

Comment

The second time around my impression was that Hoya whipped him by a hair.

Let us also not forget that Mosely was surely a cheater who was up to his elbows in the Balco scandal. He was taking juice throughout his prime, that is for sure. You do not hand an envelope to someone with $5,000 cash in it for "vitamins."

Comment

Working...
                    X