Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official 2018 World Cup thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLC hasn’t played a minute in the knockouts which is a head scratcher.

I think we’ve seen the last of him.

Alli has been our worst player.

Comment

• Originally posted by black.ink View Post
      City centre big screens have been a magnet for the worst the English fans can offer. Our fans have been great abroad, can't quite say the same for the ones left here.

The fans here in Nottingham were embarrassing.
      I thought this myself tbh, but all my mates seem keen.

They've stopped putting big screens in Manc really since Rangers fans smashed the place up after the Uefa cup final (2008?). Surprised they've gone ahead with this one.

This is once in a generation sort of stuff though innit. There'll be millions of 8-13 year old in the country for which this World Cup will be the first thing they'll properly remember about footy. Someone will mention the golden generation to them and they'll be met with vacant stares. "You mean those ****s who got knocked out in the quarters every tournament? Who gives a f***?".

Let's just never talk about the golden generation again after this. At least Belgium's have now beat someone good.

Comment

• Rio Ferdinand and Lamps have both low key blamed Sven for the failure of the golden generation. What they said made sense but it’s still finger pointing.

You’ve got to take responsibility all these players have taken responsibility. Alli has been awful but he still made a smart run and put himself in a spot to score. Despite basically being England’s weakest player.

Look at Sterling. That guy is never scoring a goal at this point. If he was on the goal line I’d want him to wait for Harry Kane but he puts himself in the firing line again, again and again.

I have a lot more respect for him after this tourney. He’s just a very courageous footballer.

With Alli you’ve just got to respect what Southgate sees.

I’ve been saying Alli is a bit pony for about 2 years now. But he has a goal in him.

Pretty much everyone sees RLC as being able to drive at Modric. A heavyweight vs a Welter. But maybe that’s not what would happen. RLC is quite naive, still a novice (only 55 senior games), gasses late, doesn’t really have a reliable end product yet. Would he track runners, every single time?
        Last edited by Sparked_26; 07-09-2018, 06:11 AM.

Comment

• The 'Golden Generation' get a bit over rated today.

They was never one of the top 3 squads in international football.

We had Danny Mills playing in the 2006 world cup. How golden could it have been ffs.

QF's was about where we was at. We didn't underachieve with that team.

Comment

• Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
            The 'Golden Generation' get a bit over rated today.

We had Danny Mills playing in the 2006 world cup. How golden could it have been ffs.

I dunno I’d argue they were better than Portugal who f.ucked us a few times.

I think they could have won the World Cup in 2002 since they were playing 10 men. And the SHOULD definitely have won Euro 2004

But yeah to be fair the last 12 years I don’t really think they had a shot

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
              I dunno I’d argue they were better than Portugal who f.ucked us a few times.

I think they could have won the World Cup in 2002 since they were playing 10 men. And the SHOULD definitely have won Euro 2004

But yeah to be fair the last 12 years I don’t really think they had a shot
              I'd say we was equal to Portugal. If we was better we would have beaten them at either 2006 or 2004.

What makes you say we should have won the world cup in 2002? Brazil had by far the better players and squad.

Comment

• I think the squads of 96 and 98 were superior to the ones of 2002 to 2006

Comment

I'd say we was equal to Portugal. If we was better we would have beaten them at either 2006 or 2004.

What makes you say we should have won the world cup in 2002? Brazil had by far the better players and squad.
                  Literally because they were 1 up and playing 10 men. Or was it 1-1?

The talent gap was not that big that Brazil should have won.

We s.hit the bed.

Actually we were already 2-1 down. Still had 32 mins to do something. Pretty poor really
                  Last edited by Sparked_26; 07-09-2018, 06:54 AM.

Comment

The 'Golden Generation' get a bit over rated today.

Danny Mills was '02, think he was only there cos Neville got injured.

'06:

James
                    Neville
                    Terry
                    Ferdinand
                    A.Cole
                    Hargreaves
                    Gerrard
                    Lampard
                    Beckham
                    J.Cole
                    Rooney

James aside, probably every player in that team was at least top 5 in their position in the world at the time.

No one else had that quality across the board at the time.

As I said though, I don't wanna talk about em. The current side have massively surpassed them.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                      Because they’re a lil country in Eastern Europe that no one really knows about. Also, I’ve come to appreciate their star player Luke Modric. The guys 5’8” and he’s competing wit dudes twice his size, it’s impressive
                      at that height thing. Height only matters for goalkeepers and corners. The majority of the game the ball is on the ground.

Comment

Working...
                      X