Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what was it about Margarito that made some of you think he was a threat to beat Money

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
    I don't know if you guys remember but EVERYBODY was looked at as a hopeful towards beating Floyd (and also as somebody Floyd was somehow ducking). Before Hatton it was Tszyu, before Tszyu it was Judah, etc etc... It happens with every great fighter.
    I could understand Tszyu....he was a G and the man at 140 after the chavez era....plus he actually had skills and power.....tony was just a big guy who could make 147...rudimentary skills at the world level

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      I could understand Tszyu....he was a G and the man at 140 after the chavez era....plus he actually had skills and power.....tony was just a big guy who could make 147...rudimentary skills at the world level
      He beat Cintron back when Kermit was a big up and comer and the he whooped the crap outta Cotto (even though it was with questionable gloves)... u can't hate on that. He was the man for about 10 months lol

Comment

He beat Cintron back when Kermit was a big up and comer and the he whooped the crap outta Cotto (even though it was with questionable gloves)... u can't hate on that. He was the man for about 10 months lol
        bwahahahahaha....got me there

they did the right thing not letting Cotto fight floyd of 05-07....May have been a stoppage.....floyd actually was trying to hurt to back then if you came hard...loved that Hatton fight, saw it live and my whole apartment was shaking from the crowd in my apartment and the tv lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Aristocrat View Post
          This is why he was a threat to Money May

The man was shook
          Have you ever noticed that promoters, especially a big promoter, and an experienced one, will say anything to get another fighter to fight one of his fighters? Why you ask, in this particular situation? well it might be because Money May brought good earnings for everyone? Therefore, taunt the idea to get Floyd in the ring with Margo just because it's practical to say?

Nah it couldn't be that.

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
            Margarito is one of the most basic fighters I ever seen get turned into a boogeyman because a great campaign from his promoter and looking good beating just decent competition

Margarito lost to every Elite fighter he stepped in the ring with....Cotto, Paul Williams, Mosley and Pacquaio...even lost to Daniel Santos smh and no name guys early in his career

How was he gonna beat some one that was better than them....Mayweather is without a doubt the best of his generation and back then, their was no one even messing with pretty boy Floyd from 2004-2007

Cotto boxed his ears off until the bricks and fatigue played their part...Mayweather is better than Cotto in almost every era...until the 6 round I don't remember Margo taking a round

Dude was a good fighter but the biggest hype job of my generation....they all look like boogeymen until they face elite guys....I hope GGG live up to the hype
            Stylistic, nightmare, basically.

Now that I have a better idea of your experience and knowledge of boxing beyond these boards, you can disagree, but I won't put much stock into your counter arguments as I have both shared them at one point and disagree with them, and am well aware that I have studied this game longer, something I was not certain of until your thread the other day. Just food for thought, by the way.

Margarito had all the tools to give Floyd hell, and possibly beat him, depending on how the fight went down. A combination of stamina, power, chin, workrate, fearlessness, and aggression is dangerous for any opponent, Floyd is no different.

I see a possibility that Floyd beats Margarito on points fighting off the backfoot, similar to Manny's approach against Margarito, but Floyd wouldn't be as active keeping Margarito at bay with punches, he would rely on his athletic ability, ring generalship, and counters to keep Margarito away, as well as defensive maneuvers.

Again we return to the phrase "styles make fights". This means not only entertainment, but in a sense that what works against one fighter doesn't work as well against another, and so on and so forth. It also means that triangle theories again, don't work, pointing to other fights is meaningless here: Cotto doesn't fight like Floyd, Cotto also lost. Who cares who was ahead at the time? Trying to use who was ahead before a stoppage is a hilarious deflection I won't take seriously at all. Stylisitc nightmare also means that the better fighter doesn't always win!! Possibly the most important point here, since one of your points was that Floyd was a better fighter during those years. He was - but it's not that simple in boxing.

The argument that Margarito is "a slow plodding skill-less brawler with a chin and stamina" is a weak one, and a lazy one. That type of description is very casual fan-esque. A laziness in describing and analyzing a fighter that won't be tolerated by the likes of myself in any real debate.

He definitely isn't the better boxer, or fighter, by a long shot, but that's the point - it doesn't necessarily matter, when we look at the context of a matchup.

If Floyd doesn't win on points, and a narrowish decision at that, I think there is a very good possibility that Margarito outpoints him on sheer workrate alone, or even stops Floyd.

People make the mistake to assume that because Margarito throws 7 punches and 4 or 5 of them miss, the two that landed aren't devastating blows. People also forget that Margarito doesn't gas. Period. Floyd would have a field day hitting Margarito but other than accumulating points it won't do much and it won't slow him down, the stinging straight rights Floyd tends to stop his opponents in his tracks with don't phase Margarito, and that's not a knock on Floyd, Margarito is just that tough.

Much of the first rounds would see Floyd well ahead, moving well, making Margarito miss, and Margarito chasing, and not finding Floyd much at all, but as the rounds go by Margarito will close the gap - he excels at cutting off the ring, a very underrated and understated tactic - and Floyd will be forced to get into exchanges or pivot out and move (the latter jeopardizing his point lead). Floyd most likely lands more punches even in exchanges but Margarito is much more heavier handed, so that is meaningless unless it's going to the cards.

Overall it's a very tough fight for Floyd, overwhelmingly so, I said it before and I will always believe it, out of all opponents on Floyd's resume, if he faced everyone he could have, Margarito would be his toughest challenge in the ring. It would be Maidana-like pressure, but almost double the punches thrown per round, and an incredible stamina from beginning to end.

For the record, as the regulars know, I am one of Floyd's biggest fans, and a huge Margarito fan as well, so there is no bias or agenda here.

~wraps

Comment

• I made this thread last year and the non-debate still rages on

arum was butthurt mayweather left him and cooked up a "monster"...."most feared" fighter....i find it funny the most feared is always some overhyped offensive fighter who starts to look ordinary when they face elite fighters, and starts losing ......first it was Margo....then Paul Williams....neither were feared, or some boogeyman

Comment

• Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                Stylistic, nightmare, basically.

Now that I have a better idea of your experience and knowledge of boxing beyond these boards, you can disagree, but I won't put much stock into your counter arguments as I have both shared them at one point and disagree with them, and am well aware that I have studied this game longer, something I was not certain of until your thread the other day. Just food for thought, by the way.

Margarito had all the tools to give Floyd hell, and possibly beat him, depending on how the fight went down. A combination of stamina, power, chin, workrate, fearlessness, and aggression is dangerous for any opponent, Floyd is no different.

I see a possibility that Floyd beats Margarito on points fighting off the backfoot, similar to Manny's approach against Margarito, but Floyd wouldn't be as active keeping Margarito at bay with punches, he would rely on his athletic ability, ring generalship, and counters to keep Margarito away, as well as defensive maneuvers.

Again we return to the phrase "styles make fights". This means not only entertainment, but in a sense that what works against one fighter doesn't work as well against another, and so on and so forth. It also means that triangle theories again, don't work, pointing to other fights is meaningless here: Cotto doesn't fight like Floyd, Cotto also lost. Who cares who was ahead at the time? Trying to use who was ahead before a stoppage is a hilarious deflection I won't take seriously at all. Stylisitc nightmare also means that the better fighter doesn't always win!! Possibly the most important point here, since one of your points was that Floyd was a better fighter during those years. He was - but it's not that simple in boxing.

The argument that Margarito is "a slow plodding skill-less brawler with a chin and stamina" is a weak one, and a lazy one. That type of description is very casual fan-esque. A laziness in describing and analyzing a fighter that won't be tolerated by the likes of myself in any real debate.

He definitely isn't the better boxer, or fighter, by a long shot, but that's the point - it doesn't necessarily matter, when we look at the context of a matchup.

If Floyd doesn't win on points, and a narrowish decision at that, I think there is a very good possibility that Margarito outpoints him on sheer workrate alone, or even stops Floyd.

People make the mistake to assume that because Margarito throws 7 punches and 4 or 5 of them miss, the two that landed aren't devastating blows. People also forget that Margarito doesn't gas. Period. Floyd would have a field day hitting Margarito but other than accumulating points it won't do much and it won't slow him down, the stinging straight rights Floyd tends to stop his opponents in his tracks with don't phase Margarito, and that's not a knock on Floyd, Margarito is just that tough.

Much of the first rounds would see Floyd well ahead, moving well, making Margarito miss, and Margarito chasing, and not finding Floyd much at all, but as the rounds go by Margarito will close the gap - he excels at cutting off the ring, a very underrated and understated tactic - and Floyd will be forced to get into exchanges or pivot out and move (the latter jeopardizing his point lead). Floyd most likely lands more punches even in exchanges but Margarito is much more heavier handed, so that is meaningless unless it's going to the cards.

Overall it's a very tough fight for Floyd, overwhelmingly so, I said it before and I will always believe it, out of all opponents on Floyd's resume, if he faced everyone he could have, Margarito would be his toughest challenge in the ring. It would be Maidana-like pressure, but almost double the punches thrown per round, and an incredible stamina from beginning to end.

For the record, as the regulars know, I am one of Floyd's biggest fans, and a huge Margarito fan as well, so there is no bias or agenda here.

~wraps
                whether you studied the game longer or not doesnt change the fact margarito was basic

5'11" good height and didnt utilize his reach....a consistent jab throws floyd off, like every other fighter

Also his defense was complete azz

his punches were slowed as molasses and he wasnt a very big puncher....he was physically strong...followed you, didnt cut off the ring well.

he would not hit floyd enough to stop him, let alone win a UD12....this aint 38 year old floyd but a faster, quicker better reflexes at 28 and counters, good footwork.

Maidana and Margarito fight nothing alike.....maindana through punches from odd angles, Margarito threw his in a conventional fashion and would be easier to gauge....also he doesnt utilize a good, nor have a defense or roll shots as good...he ate them with his face lol

IMO Margarito was a good fighter, he was gonna get embarassed and either way it was gonna be a lot of whether he fought baldomir or margo....nothing he did was ever enough anyway lol

Comment

• its becasue people thought cotto was some amazing fighter, so when margarito destroyed him they all thought that margarito must be some monster. in hindsight, we can see that cotto wasnt all that good when you look at his performances against mayweather trout canelo and pacquiao, its clear he was never elite.

Comment

• before margarito was found loading gloves for his fight with mosley many thought that way. I find it shameful there's still ppl out there trying to defend this guy even after he was caught and with evidence to prove it. in a fair fight~no bricks~mayweather beats him baldomir style.

Comment

i dont think it was even ten months lol.....arum did a helluva job with hype doe

Comment

Working...
                      X