No announcement yet.

Strength training

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strength training

What do you think of pull ups vs a kettlebell full body workout? Example of my kettlebell workout
    1. Kettlebell upright rows
    2. Overhead lunges
    3. Goblet squat superset with plyometric box jumps
    All done before morning run
    10x10 rounds of kettlebell swings
    Would that cover the muscles I need for fighting? I see no point in adding pull ups while I spend a lot of time with my coach later in the day as the kettlebell workout may cover my full body but still looking for advice

And of course I do bodyweight workouts including push ups and lots of ab work in different varities

Comment

boxing is a repetition sport, so treat your strength training the same...

If a workout becomes easier, you just increase the activity level. But i'm mainly talking about bodyweight/calisthenics only...

Only weight training I do is barbell curls and the occasional Tire Flips.

everything else is ground work... then afternoon sparring if I can get it

Comment

Originally posted by Tariq☆233 View Post
        What do you think of pull ups vs a kettlebell full body workout? Example of my kettlebell workout
        1. Kettlebell upright rows
        2. Overhead lunges
        3. Goblet squat superset with plyometric box jumps
        All done before morning run
        10x10 rounds of kettlebell swings
        Would that cover the muscles I need for fighting? I see no point in adding pull ups while I spend a lot of time with my coach later in the day as the kettlebell workout may cover my full body but still looking for advice
        How long is your morning run?

Comment

I run 3 miles at 4am before school

Comment

I do a fair amount of weight training along with calisthenics and plyometrics.

I do very specific exercises and do them all with explosive movements. I could go through some of the exercises if you were interested.

Comment

cant go wrong with simple barbell training, 5x5. im not hundred percent convinced by a lot of calisthenics, lot of technique work to get good at it and muscle memory rather than actually building brute strength. when ive done it i find im weak as piss when trying to lift something heavy. i dont care how many press ups or whatever you can do, if you cant pull a heavy barbell up from the ground then you are weak.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
                I do a fair amount of weight training along with calisthenics and plyometrics.

I do very specific exercises and do them all with explosive movements. I could go through some of the exercises if you were interested.
                Yes please

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Show View Post
                  cant go wrong with simple barbell training, 5x5. im not hundred percent convinced by a lot of calisthenics, lot of technique work to get good at it and muscle memory rather than actually building brute strength. when ive done it i find im weak as piss when trying to lift something heavy. i dont care how many press ups or whatever you can do, if you cant pull a heavy barbell up from the ground then you are weak.
                  I love fighting body builders, they are free wins lol.

Your body weight should suffice honestly. it's okay to mix up with like olympic styled lifts but I always found the mastery of body movement the more preferred route.

You need your body to work as 1 motion, that's why body weight workouts tend to be the best. The more muscles working at the same time, the better your mind/muscle connection will be... and usually performing high reps in a sport like this, is highly recommended. You need to train your body to keep going for as long as possible.

Why running is effective, it targets all your muscles even if you don't notice that "pump" you usually get from lifting weights. Same for swimming.

but in the end, do what works for you. nobody is the same...
                  Last edited by Ren28; 06-17-2018, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Show View Post
                    Considering this is boxing I'd say if you get pushed around easily in the ring then you're weak.

Comment

Working...
                    X